Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PT datsun 240z ???

First off I have never been a "RICER" but there are a selected few that I would consider. in my mid 20's I had a 1972 Datsun 240z as a toy. it was stock and in very nice cond. I wasnt into modding cars back then nor did I have any DIY knowhow. well I had the car for about a year, and have always thought about getting another one. Now in my early 40's and loving the PT stuff im thinking of either getting a somewhat project 240, or selling my 95 cobra that has many mods and is 95% the way I want it and buying a already done 240. so I need opinions good or bad on getting one of these and going the PT route.Also what kind of drivetrain would you do? American v8 carb or efi (ex. LS1) or do I look for maybe a modern Japan drivetrain (ex. older supra or ?) Thanks, Mark.

Country Flag: United States
      That car as a PT candidate is a definate YES. Many I've seen go the SBC route. Here's my favorite:

http://www.thestreetfighters.com/201...tfighter-zcar/
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

You've got a "DO IT" from me. As a DTBD kinda guy myself those cars look good! Set it up with some big tires and an LS1 and you'll have a good start!

Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

do it, with either an ls1 or a 572 bbc

Country Flag: North Korea
      Quote Originally Posted by M.P.G. View Post
      First off I have never been a "RICER" but there are a selected few that I would consider. in my mid 20's I had a 1972 Datsun 240z as a toy. it was stock and in very nice cond. I wasnt into modding cars back then nor did I have any DIY knowhow. well I had the car for about a year, and have always thought about getting another one. Now in my early 40's and loving the PT stuff im thinking of either getting a somewhat project 240, or selling my 95 cobra that has many mods and is 95% the way I want it and buying a already done 240. so I need opinions good or bad on getting one of these and going the PT route.Also what kind of drivetrain would you do? American v8 carb or efi (ex. LS1) or do I look for maybe a modern Japan drivetrain (ex. older supra or ?) Thanks, Mark.
      hybridz.com, so many "pt" type cars there.

LS1's are pretty bitchin in these cars. Especially since they're light enough to not really throw the weight distribution off.

However, my personal choice would be L28(280z) stroked to a 3.0 w/ megasquirt and a turbo. I think those stock 6cyl's have such a bitchin sound.

Anonther fun, but expensive choice would be an RB26DETT. Which is the 6cyl turbo from the earlier skylines. I think they start at around 400+hp

Well nice to hear im not the only one that likes those cars. There are some really nice ones and I always thought the interior was pretty cool looking to.

The early Datsun Z cars are very cool. Here is one of my favorite:

The SR20 turbo engine is an excellent choice. You can also get a RB25T which is the little brother to the RB26TT, but much less expensive and still plenty of power potential. I was at a dyno session where there was a S14 with a RB25T. It had a Garrett GT28R turbo and it made an easy 350RWHP and had instant boost.

LSx engines also fit well in these cars and are a great V8 option.

Go for it!
      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I have a '72 240Z with a 280 motor that has been well recieved around here....
      The ls is the way to go for modern V8....
      I am going to beat on the 6 for now (I bought it to do a V8 conversion origionaly) but some motor parts (like valve shims) are a pain to find replacements for but not impossible....
      I think there's a pretty good split on Nissan vs Toyota if you stick with a modern 6....
      There are a couple V8 conversion kits that make it fairly straightforward...
      Search around here and hybridz for ideas .... Hope you do it...
      Kurt G
      Las Vegas

If you haven't seen this one it will convince you to build one it's one of my favorites.

Thanks guys for the replys. it may take awhile to find the right one, but I will def post back with whats giong on.

It's hybridz.org

I bought a new 1973 240Z and time trialed it at Lime Rock for 3 years in the mid-70's. I'm just closing on a clean 73 shell with the rest of the car in boxes. The aftermarket is great for these cars. There are kits to do either a genI sbc or ls motor. My original z with lots of suspension work and only a desmogged motor with headers did very nicely. My plan is to build a stripped down street fighter with ls power. Rust on these cars is typical - floors, rear fender lips, front fender doglegs and battery tray. Look around, there's clean candidates out there. Also, the floor pans are available and it's a pretty easy repair.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

The rb26dett is rated at 280hp stock. Japanese car companies had the gentlemans agreement on not putting more than 280 hp in a car. When a stock rb26 was dyno'd its actually around 350hp. If you go this route remember that the transmissions that come with these motors are AWD. You will need to buy just the motor and buy a rb25 transmission. A cheaper route is buying an SR20det which has plenty of performance upgrades and can hit 500hp. Also an advantage to the sr20 is NISMO makes a 6 speed tranny for it which is supposed to be very nice.

Ill stop rambling now. I just like to keep the motor the same brand as the body for some reason.

Brandon

Glad to see there are a bunch of us on here!

Yes, Jay and Darius' SBC/LSx powered 240Z's are excellent but that video of Darius' 240Z is WAY OLD and he has a full custom IMSA style body kit on it and a completely rebuilt and modified supercharged engine. Here's an updated video with the new body, although still from 2008! http://youtu.be/XJ3Rmm3Luxk

Those are all great, but I crave something just as awesome but with a little more "subtlety"...

Fully disassembled, seam welded, prepped and painted in Porsche Ultra Silver INSIDE and OUTSIDE for a perfect color match with no hidden ugliness:

On 255/40/17 tires for the street and 245/40/17 Hoosiers for the track. These were the biggest tires I could cram under it without flaring or rolling the fenders:

3-piece 17" Panasport racing wheels - these are actually light weight RACING wheels not street wheels made to look like racing wheels

In goes the beast! A built 1996 R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec RB26DETT with N1 Turbos and a custom ECU flash for maximum performance and efficiency

High Efficiency Intercooler (There's also an AC condenser sandwiched between the IC and the Radiator!)

Coil-Overs with custom spring rates, Tokico Illumina 5-Way adjustable shocks and brakes off a 1995 Porsche 993 Turbo. With this much power, you have to be able to stop!

Clear front turn signals, low production aftermarket air-dam from Japan with a grill fashioned after the Fairlady 432

Original NOS Nissan Dash with seat matching leather headliner, door panels and shifter boot w/custom 300ZX shift knob

8-way power seats from the same Porsche 993 that donated the brakes.

Real MOMO steering wheel and custom gauges modified to integrate turn signal and high-beam indicators

Custom carpeting with 2 layers of DynaMat for noise isolation

Euro Tail lights

3" Mandrel bent exhaust

Those awesome Porsche brakes in the back with 3.70:1 R200 w/Quaiffe LSD to put all that power down!

The final product

New plates from the DMV!

This thing has been driven from San Jose to LA on several occasions, has almost 13,000 miles on it now and is both incredibly fun to drive and incredibly comfortable to drive thanks to those Porsche seats.

Cheers,
      LWW

LWW - thank you for posting. That is an awesome car!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Very nice !!!
      Kurt G
      Las Vegas

Do it with RB26 or 2JZ-GTE,no need for domestic motor
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

I love these little cars! And just to be out of the norm, I wouldn't go v8. There's one in town I've been eyeing. Maybe after the '66 pickup is done.

Chris
      1966 Chevrolet C-10

Nice! I have a '71 that was supposed to get a "simple" restoration, but it's going the LSx/C5 drivetrain, brakes, etc etc.

Just waiting for a C5 rolling chassis to come up on ebay that isn't on the other side of the continent. Still have lots of rust repair to do, unfortunately the car wasn't as clean as it looked.

my 71 is SURE to be a much disliked Zcar amongst most..

but i always viewed zcar guys the corvette guys of the classic japanese world.. gold chains and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      my 71 is SURE to be a much disliked Zcar amongst most..

but i always viewed zcar guys the corvette guys of the classic japanese world.. gold chains and all.
      I'm really curious to see what you'll do with that one, Amir. As I said at PSMC, I have had a thing for early Z cars for a LONG time!
      Joe Hinds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com