Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

custom accessory brackets, small block mopar

well, i ran into some problems last night, which may actually be a good thing.
      im adding AC to my 70 duster, using a shorty sanden compressor, the classic air kit, and a bouchillon six pack ac bracket.
      the compressor is trying to occupy the same space as the water bypass outlet port in my victor jr. apparently, there isnt an off the shelf bracket for this setup that WILL clear, so im back to square one.
      this picture

this guy is in tasmania, and has done what i have not seen done before.
      looking at the picture, he is using a drivers side mounted alternator of GM design, and mounted a shorty SD7 where the alternator used to reside on the passengers side.
      it looks like he used to alternator bracket assemblies to do this, so he could adjust belt tension. only thing i cant tell from the picture is wether or not he has power steering. i do. so that will possibly affect my belt routing on the drivers side.
      heres what im starting with for this:

i have a spare alternator bracket assembly, so....
      it looks like i could use my spare and mount my GM alternator to the same location on the driver side of my water pump. have to adjust for depth of course so i have correct pulley and belt tracking. i would also have to clock it so i could access my power steering pump if it should ever be necessary.
      so why cant i make this work with relatively little fab work? it looks in my head that this should be an almost bolt together deal, just having to make some spacers, and possibly a tensioner assembly for riding on the back ( flat) of the v-belt. i have seen a few on factory 60's AC belts, but wouldnt know what to look it up under.
      i think that o ciuld realistically do this. i would have to pick up a 4 groove crank pulley for the extra belt to the AC compressor, though, would the grovves line up with the non AC power steering brackets/pullies?
      thanks
      let the ideas, experiences, and "what i thought about/saw/read about's" fly please.
      and if you have done this deal before, share that too. please. with pictures.
      michael

Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Country Flag: United States
      The late-model Magnum accessory drive is very compact, but I don't know how compatible it is with the earlier engines. If it is, then it would be a cheap find at the local pull-a-part.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com