Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Not much done since last post, going to pick the rear barke kit soon and install and either learn how to bend brake lines or send the chassis to a local hot rod shop. I saw project 66 Chevelle LQ9/T-56 Project LS heap, and I thought I would bring my thread back up so he can see some of the work that was done to my floors and trunk-may be of some help.

64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

update on F-85 Rustbucket

A lot of little detail going on with the chassis since the last post. Here are pics of the body at the restoration center and some of my trial and error handy work. I took the 425 block and 200R4 and set it in the mounts in order to determine how far back I need to move the cross member for drive shaft length and parking brake cables locations. Shot of the big IROC-Z 1LE 12 inch discs on the B-tall spindle upgrade , Russell braided soft lines and some mock up work; learning how to bend and double flair brake lines. That is an art all by its' self! Decided on Moser finned drum brake set up for the rear. Restoration Center may start putting the top coat on by Mid-October. FYI- I gave them a year plus time frame on the extreme amount of work the "rust-bucket" needed plus as a fill in car between jobs that were on a timely basis I can't tell you what I saved on this project. Phil is just a great guy end of sentence. If you are not in a hurry with high quality job for the $$$ in the DFW area you may want to contact him. As you are aware in the DFW area it's been over 100 degrees for over 70 days no significant rain reported since June 13th. were on fire in a lot of areas;other than that were okay let's build and share our camaraderie Robski...

Country Flag: United States
      How did the trans cross member end up with the olds engine and 700 r4? On mine I had to move the cross member back so that the front holes in the croos member aligned with the rear holes in the frame and then redrilled the framed for the back holes I think that was about 2 inches. Also noted I sectioned my cross member and set the center section back 1 inch which gave a total of 3 inches back from the stock location. This was with the LS1 and 4l60e(same as 700 r4). By sectioning the cross member it left it attached to the frame were it is still stamped flat were they are designed to attach. Just curious how yours compares. As you know I still use the column shifter which so happen to align perfectly with trans placement. Hope to see you at Good Guys in a couple of weeks. I'll be hanging in the autocross coral again.

FYI you better hurry up or you are going to miss out on the RUN to the Alamo coming to the great lone star state in Feb 2012. Or else just hop in the white beauty I see parked in the back ground.
      This is Larry Callahan adding to Rocky's profile.

I'm sorry to say that we have lost Rocky.

RIP....

I have it sitting where it needs to be, and half of it is not sitting flat either on the frame rail. The stock glide drive shaft works so all I have to do is get a new, stronger one build with the same length. The input shaft yoke works too. Do you have any diagrams on sectioning and welding the cross member? Can I find that information archived in this forum?

Here are a few pics from my build. Basically I cut the cross member with a chop saw on both ends were it is straight at the end of the tapered area making 4 cuts to remove 5/16 material on each side. I then welded in 3 x 5 x 5/16 plate and moved the center section back 1 inch ending up with the same over all length across. It just so happen I had the plates already so I used them.

You going to the big car show down town Fort Worth this week end? http://cowtowncruisinforacure.org I might try an make it myself. I was told 1500 to 2000 cars were there last year.
      This is Larry Callahan adding to Rocky's profile.

I'm sorry to say that we have lost Rocky.

RIP....

I have a huge show I have to attend Saturday. But I will be at GG in two weeks. My buddy with the pro-touring Black 69 Camaro I rode with on the AC will out there agian this year, plus a bunch of other friends.Thanks for the pictures, I will also put up a post and see if there are any other diagrams or aftermarket choices. I'm sure the 64-65 Chevelle frames are the same. I heard Buick maybe too.

Man I should have looked under your car at GG last weekend. How did you compensate for the angle on the frame rail? BTW the Regional Olds show is Saturday at the Marriott across the street from the track.

rolling chassis about ready

Finishing up the rolling chassis. Body shop may call for it around XMAS. I would like the engine/trans in place and the core support. A lot of parts are out for sand blasting and powder coat at this time. The 200R4 is being built. However since the last post I have decided for now to move forward and install the 67 400E that came out of my 67 442. It just sitting on an engine stand-purpose is to use up what I got. It may have 5K miles on it before I pulled it. Build the "badboy" 425 later when I get all the bugs worked out of the car. Here are some pics of almost finished rolling chassis. The 200R4 is being built to handle the 425 later, just would need to change the converter.

moving along nicely made a few decissions

It's been awhile, pictured is how I finally resolved re-mounting the cross member for the 200R4. I located some " wedge washers" from Fastenal that compensated for the 10 degree down slope on the frame. Drilled the holes in the frame bolted it all together, added gussets underneath the frame for added strength and that should do it. I think (I hope) I kept the same pinion angle. Cross member and 200R4/400E are in. I got the 67 400E finished up, HEI is set, W-Z exhaust manifolds were blasted and treated to cast iron high temp paint, Rob-Mac mini starter in, plug wires, looms all looking pretty, restored,installed a 72 Cutlass P/S and pulley system. 64 442 dual snorkel air cleaners are very scarce so in mixing the old with the new I got a hold of two 65-66 Starfire air cleaners and fabbed the other snorkel and came up with a 64 442 replica air cleaner.

That's a good looking project.

That is going to be a beautiful car when you are done, and will be a ton of fun to drive!

Coming along great! I have a 63 F-85 Wagon, so seeing another F-85 is really a cool treat for me! The aircleaner looks amazing that way, just awesome work!

Thanks guys I'm off until the 2nd, going to finish up the brake lines, restore and install the core support. Need to pick a radiator and get the lines installed along with the electric fans. Not easy so far there is no plug and play in this area for a 64-one year only for the core support.

Lookin good man..
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Just not ready to go the LS" way. Fact when I start building the "bad boy" 425 down the road, I may sell my 67 and spend the proceeds on building a Olds 425 turbo charged. Anybody want to buy the dual snorkel air cleaner??? I'm thinking 800HP over 1000LBS torque. I know the chassis will handle the power. Now that will pull your shirt off.

Very cool project! Makin' some very good progress.
      Ned Smith
      71 Chevelle Malibu - Under construction
      65 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible

Build 'em to drive!
      Curing cancer one panel at a time!

Alomost ready for the body

Been hustling when I can this week in between company coming and going during this Holiday season. I have been lucky with the wiring harnesses that I can re-use in most cases where applicable; cleaning those up and re-wrapping them, installed the mini starter and wiring, cables for the parking brake, got the core support and the headlight buckets powder coated all installed with new fasteners for easier headlight alignment. Had the original T-3 headlights. installed a new Dean Oliver prepared Q-Jet. From chatting with others on the site I may have pull the core support back off and enlarge the radiator area for a bigger radiator. If I need to do that It may set me back a few weeks I had planned on taking the rolling chassis to the restoration center mid-January. I also need to decide what kind of alternator I need to buy. The should have the body painted and ready. All in all getting closer.

Its coming together very nicely!

Stardate 05052012

It's been awhile since I updated this thread but the rolling chassis got ahead of the body work and paint, that's what I'm waiting on. Chassis is a roller now. In addition to new floors, trunk, the braces, I had to source 2 post doors, a left front fender and the section between the tail lights!! A lot of work bringing this post car back. With the 67 400E I used the 64 radiator with a dual Flexalite fan, what a perfect fit! When I build the 425 I will have an aluminum radiator made. Installed the Hooker headers, Currently restoring the stock instrument cluster, then I will start on the steering column.

nice work on the rebuild! looking good

Jeff -- 96 Mustang - 2V Stroked Modular Turbo // 13 RAPTOR // 67 Mustang Fastback build - Coyote 5.0

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com