Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 70 RS

Country Flag: United States
      I figure if one of the rollers broke the rest can't be far behind so I might as well replace all of them. A quick check on Classic Industries site and they have all the parts. Another quick check in the Venders Section and found a 20% off discount code. So I ordered the parts.
      Inspected the original striker bolts and found the drivers side bearing was shot so ordered them too.

Starting to rebuild the door glass. The right tools alway's make things easier.

I changed all the hardware out on both windows in about 10 minutes.

Before I started the garage project I sold off 2 band saws that I had, mainly because they took up alot of room that I didn't have. I need to cut thicker metal often enough that I have wanted to get this combo for awhile now. It's portable and I can take it apart and hide it away in a drawer when I don't need it. Once I get the table I can use it to pie cut the exhaust ends and then finish up the exhaust.

Just got the first piece from some friends of mine for my birthday. Wife ordered the table for me and I'm now waiting for that. Very nice piece, it has 5 speeds and a light. The table comes with a foot pedal option for $20. I had to have it.

That is pretty frigg'n cool. Great birthday present.

Matt from NH
      70 Camaro
      Project Wicked Pissa https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Wicked-Pissa

Got my Swag table in and painted, saw hooked up, and I'm ready to cut some exhaust pipe this weekend.

That is a nice tool. Your shop came out great.
      Stephen

Thanks Stephen,
      It was 17 degrees out yesterday but it was 67 degrees in the garage. My Garage Project is the best thing I ever did.

I missed it, what are you using to heat your garage?
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze View Post
      I missed it, what are you using to heat your garage?
      Believe it or not, nothing. When I wired up the garage, I put in a seperate 240 line for a heater if I wanted to use one in the future. But I haven't done that yet because I don't think I will need it.
      I have a small space heater that I turn on if the outside temp gets down too far and that has worked great. The garage temp has not gotten below 62 degrees yet, without the space heater.
      I guess with all the insulation, the new window and the insulated door. That was enough.

Nice!

I really need to get an insulated door!
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Country Flag: Canada
      Damn you Paul. Another thing added to my must have list. Looks awesome. How thick of metal can you cut with that set up?

Quote Originally Posted by scherp69 View Post
      Damn you Paul. Another thing added to my must have list. Looks awesome. How thick of metal can you cut with that set up?
      It depends on the blade that you have on the saw. They make 4 or 5 differant blades for it. The biggest that I have seen is good up to 1/2".

Did my first cuts with the new band saw and table. This will change things for me for sure. No more hack saw or sawzall to cut metal.

Have decided to not go with the power windows for now.
      So I cleaned up the regulators and will reinstall them this week.
      While I had them out I decided to address another problem I had.
      I have deluxe door panels but regular regulators so the window cranks brush up against the top door panel. I really didn't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars on new window regulators, so I went a differant route. The cranks I have are a 2 piece design.

So I took a piece of aluminum stock I had and made new inner pieces.
      This should bring the window crank out about 1/4". Problem solved and it only cost me my time.

Before:

After:

While I had the doors apart I figured I would weld up the extra holes the guy before me drilled in the door. Can't think of why he would need them. They were not covered up by the mirrors. Another chance to practice my welding.

Before

After

I spent the day trying to fit the new fender I found on Craigs List to the car. WOW, nothing fits like the original. I could have spent half the time on the old fender and fixed it. Which is what I'm going to do. The new one just does not fit well, even after a ton of massaging.

Started to pick away at the bondo on the lower fender. Much worse than I thought. The fender had a large rust hole in it and the guy before me just filled it with bondo. Glad I ordered the patch panel. The brace behind it looks to be in good shape but I'll see after I strip it down this weekend. Never did this kind of body work before but I'll try anything once.

Quote Originally Posted by aps63 View Post
      Started to pick away at the bondo on the lower fender. Much worse than I thought. The fender had a large rust hole in it and the guy before me just filled it with bondo. Glad I ordered the patch panel. The brace behind it looks to be in good shape but I'll see after I strip it down this weekend. Never did this kind of body work before but I'll try anything once.

Hi, Paul,

Been through this with my '66 Malibu and it's not as hard as it may seem. Just takes some time to make sure the contours of the fender remain the same. I'm in the process of replacing the panel between the trunk and rear window, using what should be a "quality" aftermarket panel and it's taking a lot of time, but nothing else is available. Worst thing is that I bought it 12 years ago and just took it out of the box and it's got a small ding right in the center of a flat panel. No biggie, just extra work. good luck on the project. Please keep us informed.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Thanks Ric.

I only had a small amout of time for the fender today.
      So I cut out the rusted section and ground out the ton of filler that was in and under the sheet metal. I'll hit it with some rust reformer and hopefully get the patch panel cut, fit, & tack welded in tomorrow.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com