Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project Grip - 69 Camaro

My coworkers have been coming up with some rather embarrassing project names for my Camaro, so in the interest of keeping my sanity I came up with one today. Project Grip.

Going to paste and copy from my other thread to get this going.

To satisfy a few members i decided to start a build thread for my recent 69 Camaro purchase. This will be a garage built car. I'll be doing most of the work myself with the exception, obviously, of the machine work on the engine. All welding, fab work, body and paint will be done by me, so this is going to take a little time. Lols. Time is so precious for me.

I intentionally bought a base code car so as not to offend the purist crowd. Someone built it as a SS clone with a mild 454/400 turbo with a BU code 12 bolt. I promised my wife i woluld buy a car that was in one piece and driveable so it is in fair shape. Someone did replace both quarters and made a stab at replacing the floor pans but I feel I can do better with a full floor pan. And it will get fresh paint.

The plan is to build a fun street car with occasional track and/or AutoX time. I've purchased the complete True Turn suspension system with the triple adjustable remote resevior TQ air springs through Matts Classic Bowties. I'll most likely be going with a stroked LS with a Magnum ZR1 version 6speed. Also installing a full floater 9" from Moser as others have done but still waiting on the 18x9.5s and 18x12s from True Forged so I can get an accurate measurement for hub to hub length. Also bought the 14" ZO6 front and 13." ZO6 rear system from Tobin at Kore3.

So far all I've done is install the DSE mini tubs, added a carbon fiber Z28 front spoiler from Feather Carbon (which I really like the quality of), and installed and painted a urethane bumper last night.

All for now.

David
      Attached Images Attached Images          
      David G

I had just finished painting the urethane bumper and installing it. Paint was barely dry. Urethane bumpers are quite the ordeal getting them to fit. Lol.

David
      David G

A few of the mini tub install. I went with DSE's and found the entire process was actually easy but i rather enjoy the fabricating end of things more than finishing up. Lol.
      David G

And some pictures of the wheels from True Forged. The gold center was the first stab at bronze. The first picture is exactly what I was shooting for. It was Monaco Copper over silver. Gave it a bronze look. Brian at The Powder House stuck with it and got it right. Wheels are True Forged Competitions in 18x9.5s and 18x12s. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  611.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  564.8 KB
      David G

Soon they'll be in my garage. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  132.6 KB
      David G

Country Flag: Australia
      Wow.
      That's some serious rear lip.

The 18x12 rears were a 6" bs. I wanted the calipers and floating hub assembly inside the wheel since 335's will be tight anyway.

David
      David G

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  111.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  111.5 KBTesting wheel fitment. Plenty of room to spare.
      David G

Country Flag: Australia
      Moar!

It's been a slow go but I finally have an entire, properly machined, clean finished set of wheels as of February 2014Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  139.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  103.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  102.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  77.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  144.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  162.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  141.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  111.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  135.6 KB. I have installed the True Turn system and made a quick test trip on the front wheels. Man I love this set up. Amazing difference in handling. I'm still working on the 9" floater. I have it mocked up on make shift stands so I can emulate the car at ride height. Working on making my lower links thanks to Ballistic Fabrication and Spohn Performance. I'll be updating now more often. Lol.
      David G

David,

Excellent work. Love the wheels.

Any chance you can give out some details on your front setup?

Do you have a full ridetech setup? Arms, and spindle?

What is your ride height measured to the front fender lip?

Any idea what the alignment specs are?

Also, backspacing on.the front wheels? Tire size?

Can you turn the wheel full lock without the tire hitting the fender?

Any info you have would be helpful. Im struggling to make my tru turn work. I have a full setup with the vette brakes like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by glr0212 View Post
      David,

Excellent work. Love the wheels.

Any chance you can give out some details on your front setup?

Do you have a full ridetech setup? Arms, and spindle?

What is your ride height measured to the front fender lip?

Any idea what the alignment specs are?

Also, backspacing on.the front wheels? Tire size?

Can you turn the wheel full lock without the tire hitting the fender?

Any info you have would be helpful. Im struggling to make my tru turn work. I have a full setup with the vette brakes like yours.
      Thank you. Yes I have the complete True Turn system including a-arms and spindle with TQ series Air Coil-overs. With the front air coil-over set with a suggested 12.75" between eye to stud mount at ride height, my car is 24 1/4" from floor to body line in center if wheel opening. I haven't aligned it yet. I used the shims that were on the a-arms with the OEM set up which I'm sure is close to factory spec. The car handled well before the mods. I'm using an 18x9.5 wheel with a 5.75" bs with 275/35/18 BFG's. I'm glad I went with 9.5's. I don't think I would have been happy with 10's. Would've been too close with my car. Just saying. I'm running a bone stock F-body front frame. No mods except cutting out spring pockets for bag clearance. Stock body bushings. I can turn lock to lock with out rub but it is close. I took it for a test run and I did run it hard through the corners. No issues. I feel much of that is less suspension travel needed in this system when compared to my stock spongy system. I left the valving at factory shipped settings and I can feel the firmness in this suspension. Very impressed. I did quite a bit of modding on the inner fenders for clearance. I had to remove the top most and bottom rear inner fender bolts. The tires rubbed in these areas. Wish I could get some pictures of them but alas, I have the car set-up on make shift stands to emulate the car at ride height at this time. I don't want to change a thing until I have the entire toque arm/watts link suspension built and installed. I have everything just 'right' at this time. I believe the Pozzi's had some suggestions for alignment specs somewhere in the True Turn thread. Where is it rubbing? During suspension compression? Or at normal ride height while in motion?

David
      David G

Looks good, nice progress

Quote Originally Posted by ivanster View Post
      Looks good, nice progress
      Thank you.
      David G

re

Thanks David, that helps tremendously.

We have a thread going on the other site with a bunch of pictures and info from ride tech.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44918

i have what sounds like the exact same setup including kore3 brakes. only difference being tire size 265s and BS - I went with 6.25.

My car rubs on the frame and the fender when i turn.

Name:  close.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  turn fender.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  72.5 KB

My camber is at -0.44 currently. My rideheight is around 22.5'

ridetech has ride height at 23 - 3/8" to the fender on a quick test fit up they did on the other thread.

I don't understand why my tire sits so close to the fender. Clearly I need to take the bolts out but why is the tire so close to the fender even with my extra 1/2" of BS??

What do you think?

Name:  20140202_154229.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  105.1 KB

From ridetech's fit up

Name:  GEDC2341_zps0bdab1df.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  86.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stovebolter View Post
      Thank you. Yes I have the complete True Turn system including a-arms and spindle with TQ series Air Coil-overs. With the front air coil-over set with a suggested 12.75" between eye to stud mount at ride height, my car is 24 1/4" from floor to body line in center if wheel opening. I haven't aligned it yet. I used the shims that were on the a-arms with the OEM set up which I'm sure is close to factory spec. The car handled well before the mods. I'm using an 18x9.5 wheel with a 5.75" bs with 275/35/18 BFG's. I'm glad I went with 9.5's. I don't think I would have been happy with 10's. Would've been too close with my car. Just saying. I'm running a bone stock F-body front frame. No mods except cutting out spring pockets for bag clearance. Stock body bushings. I can turn lock to lock with out rub but it is close. I took it for a test run and I did run it hard through the corners. No issues. I feel much of that is less suspension travel needed in this system when compared to my stock spongy system. I left the valving at factory shipped settings and I can feel the firmness in this suspension. Very impressed. I did quite a bit of modding on the inner fenders for clearance. I had to remove the top most and bottom rear inner fender bolts. The tires rubbed in these areas. Wish I could get some pictures of them but alas, I have the car set-up on make shift stands to emulate the car at ride height at this time. I don't want to change a thing until I have the entire toque arm/watts link suspension built and installed. I have everything just 'right' at this time. I believe the Pozzi's had some suggestions for alignment specs somewhere in the True Turn thread. Where is it rubbing? During suspension compression? Or at normal ride height while in motion?

David
      awesome David! sounds like its coming along great!

David Pozzi has great alignment tips for the tru-turn system he worked with a similar system for years and it ran many large tracks all over the US and many years of One lap races in the ONE LAP CAMARO, before that geometry was packaged in a sell-able kit for the public, I ran similar system for 3 years (I built myself from that early geometry) before ridetech put it together in a easy kit that just bolts on, before that we were building our own center links and cutting and welding steering arms and adding bumpsteer heim kits from mustangs to get the same results

Another question for you and Rod both. What spring rate are you running? What spring rate do you recommend Rod?

If you are running a 9.5" wheel with a 6.25 bs I understand why you are touching the frame. I wish that was the scenario I had. I would just slightly notch the frame front and back. But the outer Im just not sure about. Unless its has has something to do with tire profile and the narrower tire being stretched over a 9.5" wheel. I'm seriously unsure. Its a shame you couldn't find someone close that has a 275/35/18 to temporarily put on the wheel to check fit. And you are using Tobin's hubs as well as the C6 calipers?

As far as spring rates.....mine is air springs (bagged).

David
      David G

Thanks Rod. You inspired me with your $100 Camaro. Wish mine was that price. Lol.

David
      David G

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com