Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Secret Audio SST and Soundmove.com

Just a quick "One Year" review of the audio I ended up putting in the car. I didn't want a visible radio but also didn't want to deal with IR remotes, etc, so after a LONG delay from manufacturing, I went with the "new" SecretAudio SST" which I purchased through Soundmove.

Packaging on the unit was kind of cheaply done as was documentation. Installation however was very easy, and pretty much a non-event. Connections are clearly labeled and the unit is pretty easy to find a spot for.

Remember, the car here is a vert with a relatively loud drivetrain, so there is no audiophile system to be had here. The unit worked reasonably well. Tuner doesn't get great reception but it works. The USB and iPod interface is a little clunky, but it worked as well. You can scroll through playlists, folders and the remote - while pretty cheap - works. Sound quality shows that the amp is not that clean and the 50 watt power per channel is peak - not very efficient. I ended up putting a better Alpine 4 channel amp for a little cleaner power.

Late last year the unit started getting flaky in terms of iPod connectivity. I called Soundmove.com, and was told that sometimes that just happens, but it's just a minor glitch. Every time I was able to get it to work by plugging/unplugging the iPod, so I didn't worry about it that much.

As of this past weekend, neither iPod nor USB work at all any longer. I've tried multiple USB and iPods, completely shut power down, etc. Doesn't matter. Doesn't work. AM/FM still works. Support for these units is problematic. Custom Auto Sound doesn't really deal directly with consumers, and Soundmove is hard to get in touch with. I finally got through to them today and the woman on the phone said that even though the problem started last year while it was under warranty, it's no longer under warranty so it's on me. The company owner is to call me back and I'll try Custom Auto Sound directly, but I'm not expecting much here. My guess is that I'll be stuck with the unit.

I'd have to say I can't recommend either the Secret Audio SST any longer - nor can I recommend SoundMove.com. I'm looking at some Alpine Marine units which have an available RF controller but I don't yet know enough.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

I just ran across your post about the Secret Audio SST. I have a 66 GTO convertible and am in need of a sound system. I was thinking about the one from Vintage Auto Radio and ran across the Secret Audio. I was going to pull the trigger on it until I read your post. Thanks for the heads up. I guess it is back to the drawing board for the tunes. I have had my GTO since high school (1976). I drive it and enjoy it as I see you do also. Mine is a very clean driver. I read your posts and am in total awe of your project. You have one fine ride!

Country Flag: United States
      I will never put a head unit in a car again. Ipod/phone to amp + volume knob = done

Don, when you say "volume knob" what are you referring to? Amp gain control??

Not these exact pats but your choice.

This:

+ this:

+ this:

+this:
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
      I just ran across your post about the Secret Audio SST. I have a 66 GTO convertible and am in need of a sound system. I was thinking about the one from Vintage Auto Radio and ran across the Secret Audio. I was going to pull the trigger on it until I read your post. Thanks for the heads up. I guess it is back to the drawing board for the tunes. I have had my GTO since high school (1976). I drive it and enjoy it as I see you do also. Mine is a very clean driver. I read your posts and am in total awe of your project. You have one fine ride!
      I actually owe CAS at least a little update. I'm still not real happy, however they replaced the Secret Audio SST and the problem is gone. I will say that I still probably would not buy it again, and would probably do something else. The Alpine marine unit isn't perfect either, as though the RF remote is cool and has a display, it has very limited capability in terms of playlists on an iPod. Like None. I would probably just do the whole iPod, amp and controls thing.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

No there is a separate knob that plugs into the amp and that is your volume. Lots of info here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=ipod+hook+up and I will get you specifics on my setup later.

I think JP has done this before, the key is not run your audio from the little jack on the top but out the bottom through the charge port. better quality plus charging capability.

Donny

I think he is refering to something like this: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...hp?page_id=308
      Remote Level Control
      Requires HD-RLC controller (sold separately). This is a true level control, not a "bass boost", and can be used as a subwoofer level control or as a full-range volume control, if desired.
      Assignable channels on XD400/4 (control 2 or 4 channels) and XD600/6 (control 2, 4 or all channels).
      Multiple amplifiers can be controlled with one controller by adding standard phone cable splitter (not included).
      Please note that the RBC-1 controller will NOT work with XD amplifiers... you must use the HD-RLC controller.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      No there is a separate knob that plugs into the amp and that is your volume. Lots of info here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=ipod+hook+up and I will get you specifics on my setup later.

I think JP has done this before, the key is not run your audio from the little jack on the top but out the bottom through the charge port. better quality plus charging capability.

Donny
      http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=11082

That is where its at! Crap, I just installed an Alpine too... I guess it could be removed. :D

And I don't own an iphone or ipod, but I guess my droid or this go gear vibe in place of. Very cool. I would use an amp to power 4 speakers though.

I will never put a head unit in a car again. Ipod/phone to amp + volume knob = done
      Thank you for the great idea. That is exactly what i am going to do. I think my ash tray would be a great place to dock an ipod.

I do like that PAC connector for the iPod/phone. Do they make anything like that for say a BB or Droid?
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by AM.MSCL View Post
      I think he is refering to something like this: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...hp?page_id=308
      that's it exactly, I couldn't remember and I am not a stereo guy, by stereo guy is the stereo guy (Donnie Bartalone at http://www.mobileelectronicsusa.com/ ) He figured all this out, it's really not rocket science but it sure does work good.

I am using Hertz 6 1/2 components and a kenwood sub (8", the shallow one) with a 400 JL amp. We did this same setup in another car and it sounded amazing, way better than anything I have ever had.

Here is the best part, with my Iphone I have my Ipod, Pandora, and TuneIn Radio which gives me access to basically every radio station across the country no matter where I am. I don't know what else you would need.

I love having my phone as my audio source (although I have a conventional HU). The only thing about mine I don't care for is on the HU (Kenwood excelon), you have to sort through some menus to be able to control the phone audio sources (Pandora, etc) or else it just plays what music is saved on the phone.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

My kids won't be using CD's..

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      I love having my phone as my audio source (although I have a conventional HU). The only thing about mine I don't care for is on the HU (Kenwood excelon), you have to sort through some menus to be able to control the phone audio sources (Pandora, etc) or else it just plays what music is saved on the phone.
      iHeart Radio will give you local radio stations as well.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

I knew I had read this on here before, this is actually a sticky in the audio and electronics section https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ctly-to-an-amp

...prolly where this thread should have been.....way to go William :D

I don't know how you guys get away with using your phone for music. The issue is battery. I can't afford to lose critical battery power for stuff like music or video. It's all well and good when you're in the car with access to power. It's a completely different thing when you don't have power access (like at an airport, on a plane, etc). iTunes makes having content on multiple devices a PITA, so I have to separate music/video content from the phone.

I agree but it's more of a pita to carry multiple portable devises. I already carry 2 phones 1 personal and 1 work, I have no desire to throw in an iPod to the mix. My car charges my phone while I drive and when I'm on travel I always have my wall charger in my computer bag.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I agree but it's more of a pita to carry multiple portable devises. I already carry 2 phones 1 personal and 1 work, I have no desire to throw in an iPod to the mix. My car charges my phone while I drive and when I'm on travel I always have my wall charger in my computer bag.
      I carry my iPhone for both business and personal use. I use a lot of air time. And data, with push email. I'm away from my car WAY too much and am often not near a wall plug.

The only time I use the phone for music is when it is plugged into the docking station at home or when it is in the car, either way it's charging. I don't walk around listening to it.

The only time I use the phone for music is when it is plugged into the docking station at home or when it is in the car, either way it's charging. I don't walk around listening to it.
      So for workouts, you can't use it. My iPod is used for music in the following circumstances: Workouts (Running, Lifting, Treadmill, Spinning, Erg/Rowing), for on airline flights in the air, and in the car. battery on the iPod Nano lasts WAY longer than the iPhone. So, because of the limitations of security on iTunes, I choose the Nano as my music device, and never the phone. I'd love to see a way to have some of the same tunes on both, or perhaps some way to link accounts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com