Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Secret Audio SST and Soundmove.com

Just a quick "One Year" review of the audio I ended up putting in the car. I didn't want a visible radio but also didn't want to deal with IR remotes, etc, so after a LONG delay from manufacturing, I went with the "new" SecretAudio SST" which I purchased through Soundmove.

Packaging on the unit was kind of cheaply done as was documentation. Installation however was very easy, and pretty much a non-event. Connections are clearly labeled and the unit is pretty easy to find a spot for.

Remember, the car here is a vert with a relatively loud drivetrain, so there is no audiophile system to be had here. The unit worked reasonably well. Tuner doesn't get great reception but it works. The USB and iPod interface is a little clunky, but it worked as well. You can scroll through playlists, folders and the remote - while pretty cheap - works. Sound quality shows that the amp is not that clean and the 50 watt power per channel is peak - not very efficient. I ended up putting a better Alpine 4 channel amp for a little cleaner power.

Late last year the unit started getting flaky in terms of iPod connectivity. I called Soundmove.com, and was told that sometimes that just happens, but it's just a minor glitch. Every time I was able to get it to work by plugging/unplugging the iPod, so I didn't worry about it that much.

As of this past weekend, neither iPod nor USB work at all any longer. I've tried multiple USB and iPods, completely shut power down, etc. Doesn't matter. Doesn't work. AM/FM still works. Support for these units is problematic. Custom Auto Sound doesn't really deal directly with consumers, and Soundmove is hard to get in touch with. I finally got through to them today and the woman on the phone said that even though the problem started last year while it was under warranty, it's no longer under warranty so it's on me. The company owner is to call me back and I'll try Custom Auto Sound directly, but I'm not expecting much here. My guess is that I'll be stuck with the unit.

I'd have to say I can't recommend either the Secret Audio SST any longer - nor can I recommend SoundMove.com. I'm looking at some Alpine Marine units which have an available RF controller but I don't yet know enough.

'66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com