Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Chevy 396

Chevy 396

I have a 69 SS Camaro with a small block that I installed a Sniper EFI with a 700R4. I’m having a 12 bolt built for it and I have a chance to get a numbers matching 396 for a 69 Camaro at a dirt cheap price. My question is:is the 396 worth buying as it’s the 325hp version?

I know the big hype is the 454 but can the 396 be built to push 375-400hp without a lot of money?

400hp should be possible with just a cam & intake.

If your trans in slightly built, you could bolt this up to your 700R4 & put your EFI on it.
      You will need headers, motor/frame mounts & cross member, plus the big block heater core for valve cover clearance.

As for the numbers matching, it matches someone elses car, not yours, so I would recommend posting the engine VIN on
      https://www.camaros.net/ to see if the original car still exists.... you may pick up enough money to resell it & get a good start on your 454.

Thx, I’m still thinking about it as I could just install a 383 and not change much other then the proper stahl converter and harmonic balancer. I have a Vintage AC so the firewall is clear.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com