Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

New Tri-Y headers 350-455 D-port and O-port 2nd gen bird & 68-73 LeMans/Tempest/GTO

Listing these on ebay, so here is the info. It was just easier to copy the ebay ad and paste here. The pics can be seen there, just havent put them on photobucket yet. The ebay auction is for the D-ports, the O-ports havent been listed yet. Sorry for the long-winded sales pitch.....trying to help out the owner of Tribal Tubes. $450 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...item19c52cc68b

First time on EBAY
      Tribal Tubes Tri-Y headers for 1970-1981 Firebird/Trans Am
      AND
      1968-1973 LeMans/Tempest/GTO
      These are D-port (stock Pontiac type) headers that will fit Pontiac 350, 389, 400, 421, 428 and 455 engines. Pontiac made it easier in some ways. You are looking at a brand new finished set of headers made by Tribal Tubes. These headers are for sale THROUGH ebay for $500. That is due to ebay fees. They are for sale at $450 locally, and I reserve the right to sell them outside ebay at any time. Shipping will depend on your location but I can get you a shipping quote...do NOT use or depend on the ebay calculator. It has been wrong before. No handling fees, only actual shipping. For any questions I can be reached at 302-388-2964.

Pontiac Tri-Y headers started with HO Racing's Tri-Y's years ago, and they were known for fitting tight 2nd generation birds and providing exceptional ground clearance...always a problem with headers on these cars. If you have ever owned a firebird with headers you have probably scraped them on the ground frequently. It was frustrating. Not to mention having to take a hammer to them and bang up a brand new pair of headers to make them fit! HO Racing's Tri-Y's had fixed this, but they werent around long enough for most people to know or buy a set. Then they stopped making them.

There were some small issues with HO Racing's design. You had to order to fit either a 4 speed manual trans, or automatic. It wouldn't fit both (at least initially). The D-port versions were a small diameter at 1 5/8", while the O-ports were 1 3/4".

But there were a lot of frustrated people who knew about these and wished they could still get them.

Along came a man with a dream to resurrect the Pontiac Tri-Y header. Tribal Tubes got a somewhat rocky start around 2004, and has intermittently made these custom headers one at a time over the past few years. He is gearing up to get production moving now, and I was able to not long ago pick up a set of these D-port headers and a set of O-port headers. I am selling them now ONLY to help him out. I am going to order another set. This is a finished, ready to ship set of headers. For those of you familiar with how long it has taken for some orders to be filled, let me repeat this...I AM NOT TRIBAL TUBES MYSELF AND THESE ARE FINISHED HEADERS THAT BELONG TO ME, READY TO SHIP. Can be shipped straight to you, or to any company you choose for coating (I recommend QC Coatings in Michigan. Check Yellowbullet.com forums....their rep is far better than Jet Hot these days).

Now lets get to why you want these headers...how they are different from what is available.
      • Latest design has been fitted to BOTH 70-81 firebird/trans ams AND 68-73 LeMans/Tempest/GTOs. This is a plus because if you own both cars you could switch at some point, or if you sell them at some point you can sell to an owner of either type.
      • 3/8 inch flanges. No warping or leaking here. These flanges are straight and true.
      • 14 gauge tubing, NOT the 16g or 18g used by header manufacturers. This helps eliminate the "ting" often heard with other headers, and of course it means they will LAST!
      • Fits AUTOMATIC and 4 SPEED cars. When I say fits....I mean no hammer needed. LOL
      • easy access to both full size starters and oil filters without removing anything
      • easier access to all header bolts, including the dreaded 4th bolt back on each side
      • easier installation than other designs
      • best GROUND CLEARANCE of any type of header. I cant emphasize this enough. This was what made the earlier HO Racing Tri-Y's reputation, and Tribal Tubes has managed to get almost an inch more clearance than even those had. You will NOT hit these headers on driveways and speed bumps.
      • 1 3/4" tubing primary tubing, secondary tubing, and 3" collector so yes.....its thick and big enough to breathe easy even on a 700 hp Butler engine as I'll mention later
      • 3" collector is a slip fit design for better ground clearance
      Again, I dont own Tribal Tubes or make the headers. But I am selling these new headers specifically to turn around and buy another set from Tribal Tubes. The same exact set. I also have my O-ports for sale, though not listed here yet. Same reason. I know the owner and just trying to help him get moving again. So if it sounds like the kind of sales pitch you'd get from the company itself.............this is why. These headers are finished, and there is no wait time (well, I usually am able to ship once a week, so please give me a week from paying to actually ship). These new headers are warrantied by him to the new owner against all manufacturing defects. For example, if a weld cracks (which I severely doubt as you'll see when you see the welds).

Just to make sure you understand, this design is tested. When I said new design in the title I mean it is new to ebay. It has been around with some minor tweaks since 2004 and there are people with them on their cars driving today. The market started on the Pontiac forums, and this is the first time here on ebay. A new, never used set of HO Racing Tri-Y's were listed here on ebay last year and fetched over $750. These are better. In every way. From thicker metal used right on down the line. When I say they fit this and that, that you can remove the starter, bolts are easier to reach, best ground clearance, blah, blah, blah.........its because they have been on cars and this information is KNOWN. Not some pen and paper exercise.

This is the D-port set of headers listed here, but I also have a set of O-ports for sale if anyone is interested.

Now I'll give you some real world info on performance of these headers on Roger Bolliger's 1970 Jerry Titus clone Trans Am. He races it in Sweden, and it features a Butler built 496ci Pontiac motor WITH....get this....Tribal Tubes Tri-Y headers 1 3/4" headers, just like the ones I am listing here (there is an erronous post floating somewhere on the net by Roger himself that they were 1 7/8", but he was mistaken. They are 1 3/4" just like the ones I'm selling here). This engine makes 700 hp. The car is blowing away the competition in europe.

There isnt a 2nd rate nut on this car....he wouldnt choose to put something on that car if it didnt perform. As a matter of fact, he seems like the kind of guy who would throw anything 2nd rate in the junk heap. I'm going to show you a couple of pics of his car, and then youtube video shot inside the car as he overtakes some of the following incredible cars. He won two out of two races, against cars like a 800 hp nascar engine powered Daytona Cobra, another Cobra, Plymouth GTX , Plymouth Hemi Cuda, Donovan powered Trans Am, Corvette with LS7 engine, and even an incredible 1000 hp(300,000 usd) LeMans Porsche. He won both races. Roger had a 19 sec lead at the finish in one race. Even if you have no interest in these headers, watch the video of the race...you'll love it!

http://www.pontiac-club.ch/Bolliger_R/DSC_0053.jpg
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/msati/4863375313/
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9fGZOcj_A

On the subject of power again.....I had the old HO Racing D-port Tri-Y's on my 73 turbo 462 trans am last year. They were a measly 1 and 5/8" tube size....but the car made 1064 hp on the dyno at 15 psi. Can we say iron heads flowing only 230 cfm? LOL Tribal Tube's new versions are far better. I'm changing to ported Edelbrock heads and will be using the Tribal Tubes O-ports. I expect to be around 1200 hp. Here is a link to the webpage on my car for anyone interested.

http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/62/

On a separate note, Tribal Tubes will soon be offering these headers in 2" and 2 1/8".

To avoid confusion Tri-Y headers are NOT the same as a 3 tube header. 3 tube headers can really lack performance. Tri-Y's are a 4 tube header initially and have shown proven performance.

1973 Trans Am 455 SR block, ported 6x-8 heads, solid cam, Victor intake, 830 CSU carb, aluminum rods, 77mm Garrett turbo and methanol injection. 1064hp at the flywheel@5500 rpm

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com