Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wobbling wheels!

How much wobble would be acceptable?
      I just purchased a pair of second gen Camaro wheels from eBay that I planned on using on the front of my car.
      Of course the seller said they were not bent. But using this S-10 spindle and cut-down hub I found what I think are serious problems. (The wheels do match the hub-centric ring very well.)

With the dial indicator as pictured below, one measures .041 and the other is .038 out of round. You don't even need an indicator to see it wobble while spinning it.

The face moves .0025 on one and .0045 on the other, as measured below. (Witch may be acceptable, I don't know.)

To make matters worse there is this lovely ring on the back of one, looks like a brake caliper came loose or something jammed in there while the car was moving.

Oh yeah, there is also a visible dent on this ringed one.

I told the seller about it, and his response was that he ran the wheels and they were fine. I have not opened a case with eBay yet, I am first gathering all info that I can.
      So could it be proved that using these wheels would be dangerous? Just how much wobble would be considered safe?
      Right now I am very frustrated because about six months ago I bought a pair of the same style wheels, but did not look them over good enough to discover they are not usable until it was too late to do anything about it.
      1980 Chevy Monza, 305/TH350 soon to be LS1/T56
      http://www.forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26442

Country Flag: United States
      Basically take your case up with paypal, they have buyer protection. The sooner the better to because you dont want to give the seller time to say that you used the wheel. Include the pictures etc when filing the claim too

68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

I filed a claim with eBay, but can not figure out how to attach any pic's there. And since I started with eBay, I can not start a case with paypal.
      I did not really intend for this thread to be only about the eBay issue. It almost looks like both wheels had the center hole and lug holes made off-center when they were manufactured. Is that possible? How much off-center would be safe to use once you get the tires on? Ideally zero run-out would be desired, but in reality how often does that happen? Any wheel manufacturers, or experts out there?

The only dimension that I would be woried about would be where the tire bead seats. I would also check the hub-centric ring to wheel contact, a slight burr in the wheel could make big changes that far out on the wheel; I would also think that you would want to secure the wheel to the hub with some lugs/lug nuts, just to make sure the wheel is clamped to the hub face.
      Last edited by Nessumsar; 05-04-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Industry standard for new wheels out of factory is .003. (And is typical of one piece Chinese cast wheels), and most of the wheels we deal with like Schott, and our own NewGen are closer to .0015. Are you measuring the out of round, or the lateral movement? Lateral movement is what you'll feel on a car, if the out of round is .0025, your suspension will move up and down with the wheel, and there's nothing there that would alarm me personally.

I think the .0025 and the .0045 are lateral movement, but measured on the face of the wheel; I would think a more accurate measurement would be taken on the bead lip.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

I never could figure out how to include any pic's with the eBay case, but it didn't matter because I was refunded all my money, and eBay even payed for shipping back to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by DriverzInc View Post
      Industry standard for new wheels out of factory is .003. (And is typical of one piece Chinese cast wheels), and most of the wheels we deal with like Schott, and our own NewGen are closer to .0015. Are you measuring the out of round, or the lateral movement? Lateral movement is what you'll feel on a car, if the out of round is .0025, your suspension will move up and down with the wheel, and there's nothing there that would alarm me personally.
      The out of round was .041 I remeasured at the beads and it was even worse, closer to 1/16".

So, I don't feel comfortable bidding on wheels that I can not inspect first. I have not seen any like those for sale locally for more than a year of looking. Don't know how I will get any now. I only need two of the Camaro offset style for the front, as I am using the Monte Carlo offset style in the back.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com