Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Wobbling wheels!

How much wobble would be acceptable?
      I just purchased a pair of second gen Camaro wheels from eBay that I planned on using on the front of my car.
      Of course the seller said they were not bent. But using this S-10 spindle and cut-down hub I found what I think are serious problems. (The wheels do match the hub-centric ring very well.)

With the dial indicator as pictured below, one measures .041 and the other is .038 out of round. You don't even need an indicator to see it wobble while spinning it.

The face moves .0025 on one and .0045 on the other, as measured below. (Witch may be acceptable, I don't know.)

To make matters worse there is this lovely ring on the back of one, looks like a brake caliper came loose or something jammed in there while the car was moving.

Oh yeah, there is also a visible dent on this ringed one.

I told the seller about it, and his response was that he ran the wheels and they were fine. I have not opened a case with eBay yet, I am first gathering all info that I can.
      So could it be proved that using these wheels would be dangerous? Just how much wobble would be considered safe?
      Right now I am very frustrated because about six months ago I bought a pair of the same style wheels, but did not look them over good enough to discover they are not usable until it was too late to do anything about it.

1980 Chevy Monza, 305/TH350 soon to be LS1/T56
      http://www.forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26442

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com