Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Out of Commission Camaro Project

Oh yes, another one.

This is my 4th gen 1 camaro. All of the others have been the Saturday night type hot street cars. This will be my first car that is designed to be a driver first.........and an occasional autox or short road course car a distant second (for now, this site is..addicting).

I have worked as a project engineer for a while and decided to take on a technical sales job when I bought the car. I get quarterly commission checks and will be using part of them for this build. So I have named the car "Out of Commission" since that's what's funding it. This is a car that I want to do everything on, in my garage....

I wanted the experience of a ground up build. I got to go for a ride in a bad ass black 68 camaro at the autox at the Good Guys here in KC a few years ago. That really cemented the idea that I can have a driver and and good handling car all into one.
      I bought the car in spring of '08. I let my wants overide my judgement and get the best of me by buying the first car I found. It had new quarters, but needed everything else.......Lots of people told me it was too much of a basket case, but that just cemented the idea in my head that I would build it.

Here's a couple pics after getting it home and starting to disassemble it.

Attachment 45589Attachment 45590
      During disassembly I found that the original subframe had been curbed hard underneith and squashed the subframe on the drivers side. So I jumped on here and put a want ad for a subframe. I found one locally and got it POR15 coated.

Name:  1s Subframe Coated 2.jpg
Views: 3754
Size:  246.7 KB

After doing some research and talking to SC&C, I decided on their upper a-arm kit (tall bjoints), my stock lower arms, and Hotchkis springs.

Name:  4s subframe assembly 2.jpg
Views: 3848
Size:  145.3 KB

I found a rotisserie locally and put the body up on it. Once I scraped, degreased, wire wheeled, sanded all the crap off the underside of the car, I decided on POR15 with a top coating of Raptor liner.

Name:  10s POR Bottom Floor.jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  84.2 KBName:  13s Undercoating sprayed.jpg
Views: 7629
Size:  114.3 KBName:  5s rotisserie mount.jpg
Views: 4715
Size:  111.9 KBName:  15s Undercoating.jpg
Views: 4128
Size:  104.3 KBAttachment 45598
      After I got it back into the garage and off the rotisserie, I started wire brushing the trunk. It was pitted quite a bit, but no major cancer. I POR15 the trunk and plan on spraying raptor in the trunk when I coat the front inner fenders at a later date.

Name:  16s Trunk POR - Off rotisserie.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  91.1 KB

I decided on DSE's firewall plate. I wanted to go with an aftermarket air unit, so I stitched the firewall plate and home fab blower motor plate in. I filled what seemed like hundreds of sheet metal screw holes from various things from previous years and shot some epoxy primer on the firewall. My helper (3 yr old son) and I started taping for seam sealer.

Name:  17s Firewall primed - DSE plate installed.jpg
Views: 4873
Size:  90.7 KBName:  22As My garage helper.jpg
Views: 3623
Size:  106.4 KB
      I tried a couple different types of seam sealer and didnt like them. I surfed lots of forums and found a urethane caulk from Home Depot that worked really well.

Name:  20 Firewall Seamsealed.jpg
Views: 3761
Size:  49.5 KB

I decided on a satin finish for the firewall and top of dash.

Name:  22 Firewall & Dash Painted.jpg
Views: 3719
Size:  97.2 KB

Since my current goal is to get it rolling, I started working on the 8.5 10 bolt that came with the car. When I pulled the cover off, the posi turned out to be a lincoln locker (welded spiders). And the welds were broke....

I then decided on an aftermarket ford 9". I ordered fill & drain plugs and upgraded to the hobby stock axles with tapered bearings.I also decided on using LS1 rear brakes on the car. After some measurements, found out that the hobby stock axles and tapered bearing caused the outer seal to stick out of the housing about 0.140". I threw the backing plate up on the lathe and turned a groove in the backing plate for the seal. The rearend company pressed all my bearings on the axles before they were shipped to me by mistake. After I got a new set of bearings and locks rings, I painted the backing plates and assembled the rear (without the third member).

Name:  23 LS1 Backing Plate Machined.jpg
Views: 3700
Size:  21.8 KBName:  23A Moser Axles LS1 Brakes.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  24.9 KBName:  26 Moser Diff LS1 Brakes.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  22.4 KB
      I decided on Hotchkis rear leafs as well and assembled them on the rearend then put the rearend into the car. I put a pipe over the axles inside the diff so I can roll it around the shop if needed.

Name:  27As Moser in car.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  74.6 KB

I then started on installing the front subframe. I went with Global West stock height alum bushings and their sub frame connectors.

Name:  30 Roller.jpg
Views: 3809
Size:  99.0 KB

I POR15'd all the front Moog steering parts and bolted them on the car.

Name:  32 Steering Parts Coated.jpg
Views: 3535
Size:  54.3 KB

At this point, I decided to set in my LS6 short block in to see how the TransDapt LS adpaters I bought would work. I want to mill my own set of aluminum adapters, but wanted something to start with. I thought the 1" setback TD adapter plates and mounts were a steal at $55. The motor looked to be in a good position but without the heads on, it was hard to tell. I also got my hopes up that I would need a custom pan because it looked like I had 1.5" clearance.

Name:  34 LS1 Test Fit.jpg
Views: 3644
Size:  61.2 KB

Over the weekend I scored a GTO T56 with 12k miles. A local guy is putting a ls2 in his 34 ford and couldn't use a buch of his stuff. Finally I'm on the winning side of a deal...... I got the GTO radiator and fan setup, all the LS2 GTO accessories, al the clutch hydraulics, pressure plate, clutch, a few performance parts, etc.

My hopes were short lived on the oil pan and mounts unfortunately. I removed the GTO shifter, bolted the trans on and a spare LS1 head I had and set the engine back in. I also bought an IROC sport steering box so I could mount my pitman arm and verify the steering. The mounts put the pass head about 1/4" from the firewall (way too close for me). And my steering was now only 1/2" from the unmodified pan. I am eyeing the MAST pan, but we'll see. I did buy a set of Dynatech coated headers from a forum member and they look good. Ignore the old tie rod setup. The Edelborck sleeves I got for steel had boogered threads, so I had to throw the old ones on for mock up.

Name:  40 Engine tranny test fit.jpg
Views: 3621
Size:  118.7 KBName:  40a Engine tranny test fit.jpg
Views: 3533
Size:  42.1 KBName:  40b Engine tranny test fit.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  105.8 KBName:  47 Engine tranny test fit.jpg
Views: 3530
Size:  99.2 KB
      I also located the shifter hole (bad phone pic)

Name:  43 Engine tranny test fit.jpg
Views: 3571
Size:  79.9 KB

While I had some spare time, I wire brushed the interior floor and got it ready for coating. I tried the rust encapsulator coating here and got it coated. My plans are to spray lizard sound coating inside on top of the encapsulator.

Name:  37s Interior floor sanded bare.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  92.8 KBName:  38 Interior Floor Dr RE Coated.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  73.4 KB
      It took three years to get to today. My wife and I had our 2nd son in May of this year so things slowed down... My original goal was to have it done in time to take my 3 year old son to his first day of kindergarden in the fall of 2013, but with any luck it will be done (or at least driving) in the fall of next year.
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

It was a jumbled mess when I tried to edit it, so here are the two pics of it when I was disassembling it.

Name:  100_0323.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  175.6 KBName:  100_0321 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3510
Size:  259.2 KB
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Country Flag: United States
      Very nice!!
      US Army Retired
      Desert Storm, OIF 2003 & 2004
      1973 Firebird
      2001 Trans Am WS6

Looking good Shannon
      Michael Tucker
      Project "Trouble" 1969 Camaro DSE subframe, quadrilink, 13" wilwood brakes, Rated X Rushforths, LS2/T56
      1968 Camaro

Great project Shannon. Underside came out real good...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

After life got in the way (drag boat racing and home life) I am back on my car again. It's been a couple years, but I have been collecting tools (plasma, welder, etc) to help my my home built ride. My brother recently bought a 53 Chevy truck and is planning a 4-link setup, so it's somewhat lighting a fire under me again. I ordered my remote bleeder kit and a braided line to go from the slave to the clutch master. Instead of buying an expensive pan, I bought an aluminum spool gun for my mig welder and modified mine. I installed a TR224 cam and spring package along with some 243 heads and now have the engine built. I hope to have the engine and transmission in to stay for awhile now.

Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Looking good so far. I'd love to stop by and take a look at the engine fitment once you get the modified pan in place (I live in Grain Valley) since I begin the LS1/T56 swap in my 68 starting in May.

By the way, autocross season kicks off here in KC this weekend. Test and Tune is Saturday and the first event is Sunday. Come on out and catch a ride with some of the excellent drivers in the area. I'll be in my 2000 NBM TA.

http://mokanmotorsports.com/forums/v...hp?f=12&t=6892

http://mokanmotorsports.com/forums/v...hp?f=12&t=6730

Mizzouri - I hope to have the engine back in for the final time before long. I will shoot you a PM when I get it in. (Currently pulling it back out to cut the shifter hole and do a few other things).

I installed my remote bleeder kit on the slave. I also knocked the roll pin out of the feed fitting on the slave and installed a -3AN fitting and a 24" line.

I just finished modifying a th400 cross member for the GTO T56. I tried a couple different cross members and just didn't like the way they mounted or limited exhaust pipe room. I have more time in this, but I'm happy with it.

I need to finish sanding and then paint the cross member.

My current goal is to hear it run. I ordered my Tanks Inc. tank, sender, high flow pump module, and straps. I will be ordering my LS PCM and harness very soon.
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

A few more things done in spare time. Unfortunately, with life going on it's hard to plan time to work..........

Decided to spring for the Tanks, Inc. tank, pump, and sender. I'm happy with the quality. I can also see the fuel bowl inside the tank that the pump sits in. I decided to go with the PTFE premade hose assemblies from Fragola.

Here is pic with the line routed under the car and secure.

I turned the fuel rail around so the feed was on the passenger side. The line will be secured once the inner fenders are on.

I decided on PSI Conversions for my harness, computer, and base tune. Quality looks great.

The harness comes with a 2" grommet for the firewall. I wish I would have done my firewall a little different as the original firewall is still behind the plate. The two panels being so close to each other caused the grommet to be a little tough to install.

Here is the grommet installed and the harness routed.

Here is the inside view. There is plenty of length the put the ECM behind the glove box (i will have extra length to tie up). I also sanded the dash down and repainted it while I was in there and started applying the heat/noise shield.

I decided to go with the AAW classic update harness. Since this a 67 and GM didnt go to a standard chassis harness plug until 68 (per their instructions). I had to open up the hole. They had a template in the box. Here is the raw hole I trimmed with my plasma cutter. I still have to clean the hole up and repaint.

Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

good progress! I like the direction this build is moving in. What kind of coating (por15, rustencapsulator, etc) are you planning for the roof?

Thanks! I've used both POR and Eastwoods encapsulator. I like both, but I use POR on the rougher stuff and Eastwoods on the smoother areas. Still scraping the underside of the roof so we'll see. I do really like the Rattle Trap noise barrier so far as well.
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Coming along quite nicely I see. There was a 73 firebird ls1/t56 autocrossing with us this last weekend here in town. Riding with him really motivated me to where I can fire mine up. Do you have a time frame when you'll be firing yours?

I hope to just fire it in a few weeks. Driving is another story.........
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Its been several months since an update.... I've been installing the AAW classic update harness. I installed the main fuse box panel and then the engine side. I got the engine and starting and charging system completely wired. I bought some braided loom, but I'm not sure how I want to attach it to the firewall (so Ignore the temporary zip ties coming down from the cowl area holding it).

I also ordered my third member with Strange Nodular case, TrueTrac, and 3.70 gears.

After a few small forgotten details, the engine fired for the first time on Saturday! Man what a feeling. The TR224/114 cam had a nice rumble to it. A little loud with the open headers, but awesome. I bought this car a few weeks after my oldest son was born (he turns 7 in October). Over the years, my boys have taken the doors, tires, and wheels off their toys cars so it would be like daddy's..haha. So when the car fired, the boys came running and were able to share. Pretty darn cool.

On Sunday I started to work on the front hubs for the F-body LS style front brakes. I stuck them on the lathe and started making chips....

I am finally getting a few evenings a week to work on the car. I think I've got more done in the last few weeks than in the last year....haha, but that's how it goes I guess.
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Country Flag: Canada
      Very cool, awesome progress!
      Gordon in Calgary

I have been trying to concentrate on the brakes as of late. I ordered a Russell stainless brake hose replacement kit for the 02 camaro so it would fit my brakes. I then ordered a Ni Copp brake kit with fittings and lines along with the OTC master brake flaring tool kit. I cut a small piece off and tested it and it worked great.

Here is picture of the bubble flare. It was much easier with the Ni Copp than using stainless.

Before I could run the lines on the rear differential, I need to install the new Strange S-case third member (axles need to come out part way to slide it in). I went with 3.70 gears and an Eaton Trutrac. I was laid up for a couple days on light lifting duty (vasectomy surgery..lol) so I talked my wife into give me a hand on installing the third member. She did great!

After it was all in and sealed up, I test fitted the rear 02 camaro brakes on my 9" rearend to make sure the rotor would fit over the axles. Rotors still need to be cleaned and pads installed but, it looks great.

I am still waiting on some brake line hold down clamps to arrive so I moved up to the front of the car and started in on modifying the 02 booster and mc. My goal all along was to use factory replacement parts that I could buy on the road if I was stranded. I've succeeded until today. The booster had to be modified since I was using my factory pedals. The mc is still factory or an 02, but if a booster fails, I will have to work to modify a new one. I trimmed off the upper mounting hole on the booster and used the lower hole as the top. I added metal to the bottom and driled and gusseted it. It turned out pretty good.

Since the DSE clutch master adapter plate goes in between the firewall and the booster I had to test it as well. I found some S & P directions on modifying the clutch pedal.

I bent up the tab on my hydraulic bearing press and tack welded it to my pedal.

I was pretty happy with this. It matched the diagram and the measurements. But, once I installed the pedal assembly, it appears the bracket needs to be switched to the opposite side of the pedal. The rod of the clutch master is at too much of and angle. So I will need remove and swap it. The clutch master fit in the hole but rubs the edge of the opening, so I need to trim it also.

While I was under the dash I checked my brake pedal to MC rod clearance. It's a couple inches from the original hole. I will make an adapter or cut the end off and weld the original clevis on.

The rod was at too much of an angle, so I will switch it to the other side. (shown below)

Hope to run brake lines this week!
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

If you're still planning to use the Dynatech headers, make sure you flip the motor mounts upside down so that the tabs are on the bottom, as seen in this picture of ridetech's Velocity Camaro. That way you'll gain almost an inch of ground clearance. I had the motor mounts mounted like you have and the headers were dragging the ground.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...493#post372493

Good luck with your project.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

My wheels and tires will be here in a few weeks so I will finally get to see how low the headers hang. I read your swap thread (very cool!). I will go ahead and swap the mounts. By raising the engine, did you have any trouble with trans tunnel clearance or drive line angle too steep?
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamNKC View Post
      My wheels and tires will be here in a few weeks so I will finally get to see how low the headers hang. I read your swap thread (very cool!). I will go ahead and swap the mounts. By raising the engine, did you have any trouble with trans tunnel clearance or drive line angle too steep?
      No. I used the same trans mount (Bowler) and motor mounts (DSE) that Dynatech used (also outlined in the instructions). It's tight in the tunnel but not touching. I would add some kind of head reflective tape at the trans tunnel when you have the engine/trans out.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I lifted the front of the engine and swapped the mounts. Everything went smooth. It looks like the headers are up. However, I measured from the floor to the bottom of the headers and no change, but I also don't have any of the front clip on. It sure can't hurt.
      Shannon

Camaro Build -> HERE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com