Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Stock C6 Zo6 drilled Rotor Vs DBA Aftermarket rotors

I know the DBA rotors are meant for more hard track driving, but was wondering if I could get away with using the stock drilled rotors, the price for 2 rotors from DBA are 600.00. Has anyone run sucessful track days with no probelms running 6 pot calipers using the stock drilled C6 Zo6 brakes the dimensions are 355mm X 32mm. From Kore3 they run about 119.00 new but are not recommended for hard track driving, I was wondering what you guys think.

they will crack sooner than a solid rotor so thats why they are not recommended. a few friends have stock rotors on the C6Z and track them with no problem. they only get 3-6 track days out of them though.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Country Flag: United States
      I'm running the Z51 setup on my Camaro. its a similar rotor to the Z06. So far this rotor has lasted through one "real" track day + ~5k miles. I've done a number of auto cross events and two RTTC events but none of them will stress your car anywhere close to what a 20 minute session on a full track will.

So far my rotors have lasted. No cracks or any warning signs yet. however, I'm running Hawk ceramic pads currently so they don't have nearly as much bite as more aggressive pads.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

basically Im gonna be running Brembo 6 pot calipers similar to the ones on the Zr1 and think id be better off running more pricey rotors just for insurance, id hate for the rotor to crack and damage the caliper.

I run DBA4000 1pc rotors on the rear of my car and I think I paid around $250 last spring. (for the pair) from KNS Brakes. Website shows $266/pr slotted now. I just got the 1pc hawk front pads also and they had better pricing by asking. If you want to save some weight go to a 2pc front rotor, you save around 9 pounds per rotor which is huge considering that is rotating weight.

But I do know several z06's running the stock rotors and HP+ pads with no problems. More brake pad would be a problem IMO... more heat and rotors with holes= bad!
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by senor_camaro View Post
      I know the DBA rotors are meant for more hard track driving, but was wondering if I could get away with using the stock drilled rotors, the price for 2 rotors from DBA are 600.00. Has anyone run sucessful track days with no probelms running 6 pot calipers using the stock drilled C6 Zo6 brakes the dimensions are 355mm X 32mm. From Kore3 they run about 119.00 new but are not recommended for hard track driving, I was wondering what you guys think.
      The DBA 4000-series rotors are actually just good quality, premium rotors at a really good price when compared to other options, making them a great option if you intend to beat your car on a a road course, however they're just as good for normal street driving, auto-crossing, etc. You can totally get away with the drilled OE Z51 and/or Z06 rotors, they just typically don't last as long or perform quite as consistently over their life. A good reall world example is a customer who had a Z51 Corvette and ran at Portland Int'l Raceway 3-5 times per summer on OE rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. In addition to the track events, he also put about 10k-15k miles on it during the year around town and he would get about a year out of his OE rotors before they were shot, cracked and needing to be replaced. He upgraded to DBA 4000 slotted rotors and got about double the life with everything else the same, plus more consistent braking throughout the life of the rotors.

I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing, but a pair of DBA 4000 slotted C6 Z06 rotors should be closer to $392/pr after the most recent DBA price hike last August. The OE C6 Z06 rotor price actually has come down to $178/pr...just haven't updated that part of the website yet.

Running the 5000-series 2-piece rotors only saves about 3.5 pounds per rotor...still significant, but not the 9 pounds mentioned above. In order to save that much weight, you need to look at specialty rotors geared towards time-attack and auto-x type events like the ones offered by LG Motorsports which are about 9 pounds lighter than the 26 pound OE pieces. The lighter the rotor, the greater the temperature swings in operation, so if you go that route, you'll need to specify pads accordingly.

HTH,
      Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com