Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Power steering jerking back and forth violently

What would cause a power steering box to jerk back and forth? I have a sbc with a stock type power steering pump. I also have hydro boost brakes. I'm pretty sure I have plumbed it correctly. I had just started a fresh engine and had the front wheels off the floor and was going to turn the steering wheel back and forth, and as soon as I touched the wheel, it jerked back and forth very violently. I've never seen or heard of this. Can anybody tell me what is wrong? thanks

I had this exact same thing happen to me on my ford rack & pinion. I swore I had it plumbed right, but it was backwards. I switched the lines, all was fine. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by surnufz View Post
      What would cause a power steering box to jerk back and forth? I have a sbc with a stock type power steering pump. I also have hydro boost brakes. I'm pretty sure I have plumbed it correctly. I had just started a fresh engine and had the front wheels off the floor and was going to turn the steering wheel back and forth, and as soon as I touched the wheel, it jerked back and forth very violently. I've never seen or heard of this. Can anybody tell me what is wrong? thanks
      By the way, he surnuf had it plumbed backwards. He switched the hoses and all is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
      He switched the hoses
      Correct plumbing will cure a lot of things, lol.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

That happened to Matt on a DSE rack, it damaged the rack.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      That happened to Matt on a DSE rack, it damaged the rack.
      Yes, I've heard of different things happening, but in my particular case the wheel spun violently to the right and then bounced off the bump stop. We put it on a lift and when I spun the wheel quickly to the right it felt like the gears were slipping, because it felt "notchy." You could see that front wheels didn't turn in a smooth fluid motion with quick steering inputs.

Moral of the story, make sure to check steering on and off a lift. We didn't realize the rack was broken for a couple of months afterward.

Matt

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com