Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Toy haulers

Country Flag: United States

Toy haulers

I know nothing about them but am looking for info on them because I may decide to buy one and live in it. I know that sounds odd but it may work out to be cheaper that way than renting or purchasing a house. The only reason I'm considering a toy hauler versus just a camper is so I can put a motorcycle in the back and have a place to remove my grungy work clothes. I'm looking for insight into owning one and living in one. Opinions are also welcome. At this point, I have a lot of time on my hands and no place to call home. I figure why not consider it but as mentioned, I know nothing about them.

Questions I can think of off the top of my head though are

How well do they hold their value? I'll take good care of it because that's the way I am.

Do I have to have a dually to tow one properly or can a standard 3500 or 2500 handle the trailer?

I like the idea of that much weight being pulled as a fifth wheel best but how are the smaller bumper pull trailers at being towed?

How's the insulation? Pampa sees single digit temps during the winter and lots of wind at times.

How crazy do you think I am for considering this, lol?

Dodge 5.9 or Chevy Duramax both pre-ULSD?

Thanks
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Steve Martin
      67 Camaro RS
      66 Chevelle

Thanks Steve. I believe i found a few used ones by that company when I was browsing.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

RV.net has a toyhauler specific forum that is really good. Most of the brands and models have been discussed there. There are definately some to avoid.

For a motorcycle, any hauler would be enough to carry it. For a tow behind you probably want to get a 26ft or longer so you get a front bed. a 29ft will get you a walk around bed which would be nice if you are living in it. If you go fifth wheel the bedroom and bath will generally be bigger which is nice.

The toyhaulers are down on value right now and there are some good bargains out there. They don't hold value very well as they are usually used hard.

A single rear wheel deisel can handle most of the haulers until you get to the real big ones. I tow a 40ft fiver with my duramax srw. i am ok on tire load but over on GCVW.

A fiberglas sided model will be better for insulation. You may need the optional insulation for the underside to prevent your tanks from freezing.

Most haulers are not really made for full time use but the bigger fivers are really nice. If you can afford the slide models, they are very roomy.

Trey,
      I have a 2003 Rage'N 27T, by National RV, it is a 27' pull behind with 100gl fresh water, 40gl gray, 40gl black and 40gl Mo-Gas tanks, it has a full bath and kitchen and the cargo area turns into complete living space. They don't make them any more but I LOVE mine. Very Heavy Duty construction. I have a 16'5" cargo deck which I can put the Camaro in it, or all of my dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and go to the track or desert for 4-5 days. Alot of people complain about the fuel smell in Toy Haulers that convert the garage/cargo area to living space but we have not had that problem. My wife even lived in it for 5 months while we transfered to Texas from Atl. I have an 05 2500 HD Duramax that pulls this at 70 MPH in OD with out thinking about it.
      Tony:
      67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/idoxlr8/

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com