Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project: LONG HAUL - LONG ROOF

Well this 64 Chevelle wagon is hardly a new project to our family and many of you have seen it at different events over the years, but we figured it was time to start a build thread so people can see the big changes we’re making over the next few years. Sometimes we think build names are overdone but this one seemed pretty catchy so we’re going with it.
      Some folks probably have been following along with our 66 2-door hardtop Pro-Touring build and know it has been our main effort for the last 8 years. The wagon was bought in 2003 when we realized that the 66 was going to be a long project. Even though we’ve made some huge improvements since we bought it, we’ve continued to drive it and enjoy it. This was really considered our wagon until the 66 was on the road, now it has become "her" wagon.
      So, here’s where it is right now:
      Powder coated frame
      SPC upper A-arms
      Reinforced lower A-arms with Del-a-lum bushings and custom swaybar mounts
      ATS/AFX spindles
      C5 front brakes
      Hotchkis 1 3/8” hollow front swaybar
      Jeep Grand Cherokee power steering box
      Hotchkis lowering springs
      KYB GR-2 shocks
      Basically stock 327
      Edelbrock performer intake
      Holley offroad 600 cfm carb
      GM HEI distributor
      Hedman shorty headers
      200-4R transmission with B&M shift kit
      GM 12 bolt rearend with Eaton carrier, Moser axles and Richmond 3.42:1 gear
      Rear disc brakes (some sort of small conversion using GM parts)
      Wheel Vintiques 17x7” steel ralley wheels up front and 17x8” in the rear
      BFGoodrich KDW’s
      Here’s what’s coming up: (hopefully in 2011)
      L&H Kustoms Pro Billet Tall Spindles
      TKO 600 transmission
      “LS1” rear brake swap (12”)
      Wider tires front and back

Deb's favorite: Her getting the jump on me!

This one shows the quarter that needs to be replaced someday...

Chassis swap and floor repair 2006/2007

Sweet! I wish I could get my wife on board with the wagon thing, I think they are cool as hell. I had a 64 fairlane wagon I was planning a build on and she gave me so much crap about the wagon thing I got rid of it....LOL

my Dad would be into this; he had a '65 malibu wagon from new, 283, 3onthetree w/ overdrive (why he didn't get it w/ a 4 speed is beyond me...)
      same color too!
      Keith C.

Love the wagons. Keep updating

rich

Quote Originally Posted by slocobra View Post
      Sweet! I wish I could get my wife on board with the wagon thing, I think they are cool as hell. I had a 64 fairlane wagon I was planning a build on and she gave me so much crap about the wagon thing I got rid of it....LOL
      The wagon wasn't a hard sell to Deb really at all. She's a little strange anyway, enjoying our hobby and turning wrenches when she can. Oddball!
      A two door wagon would have been our first choice, but after getting this one and cruising with two kids and two dogs, we're happy for the extra doors!

Tom, I still smile when I think about us cruising down to the 7/11 at Pigeon Forge in the wagon. That is a totaly cool cruiser that can run the cones on any given day! I keep toying with the idea of adding a 66 wagon to my pair.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      Tom, I still smile when I think about us cruising down to the 7/11 at Pigeon Forge in the wagon. That is a totaly cool cruiser that can run the cones on any given day! I keep toying with the idea of adding a 66 wagon to my pair.
      Me too!

Kool car, keeps getting better.
      See ya'll in Nashville.
      Wish you the best on all you have going on.
      Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by 67MAL View Post
      Kool car, keeps getting better.
      See ya'll in Nashville.
      Wish you the best on all you have going on.
      Malcolm
      Thanks Malcolm! Looking forward to seeing you at a handful of events this summer!
      Tom

Cool car!! That's awesome you got to drag race your wife!!
      Vinnie Allegretta
      A Winner Never Quits...A Quitter Never Wins
      www.fquick.com/vinz68

Quote Originally Posted by Vinz68 View Post
      Cool car!! That's awesome you got to drag race your wife!!
      Yeah Vinnie, only cool since she didn't beat me! LOL Luckily the 66 had just enough to pull away even with my horrible reaction time.
      Tom

Love wagons, I have a few myself. Wish I could get a 64/5 along with my g-body. Would look good next to the 64 vert and 65 Elky! lol. You need to add some more pics! lol

Quote Originally Posted by liquidh8 View Post
      Love wagons, I have a few myself. Wish I could get a 64/5 along with my g-body. Would look good next to the 64 vert and 65 Elky! lol. You need to add some more pics! lol
      More pictures are coming! Sam has been off school do to the ice for the last four days so we have really been getting some work done.

Made some progress! Sam was off school for four days last week due to the ice storm so we worked him like a borrowed mule on the house remodel and car projects. We also got to work out every morning together so that was pretty cool too.

Someone on our Chevelles.com build thread asked why we would get rid of the ATS spindles in favor of the L&H Kustoms spindles which is a great question and I will answer it here also since I know some are wondering the same thing. OK, I will be lazy and just cut and paste my answer I used on the other forum...

"Good question! We had originally been looking at the L&H spindles in the fall of 2009 when we found a used set of ATS spindles. After meeting Luke (of L&H) at the 2010 Pro-Touring dinner and talking to him at the optima Invitational he made us a great deal. The ATS spindles functioned great and we also have them on our 66. They have already gone to a close friend and will be on his Chevelle soon!
      If the L&H spindles perform half as well as they look, we'll be thrilled. Deb is looking forward to thrashing them on the auto-x soon and road courses before long."

Outgoing spindles

Ditching the KYB GR-2 stock replacement shocks for the Edelbrocks. We bought these a few years ago for our 66 project, but ended up taking them off when we installed the DSE coil-overs. Sam thought he was getting these for his 67, but was ok with not getting them when I told him he may end up with coil-overs before his hits the road.

L&H bare spindle installed

Spindle with steering arm and brake bracket. These parts are just pieces of art!

L&H hubs with ARP studs

My favorite picture! Sam, the secret to our success!

Those spindles do look really sweet. I assume they also correct the geometry (like the ATS parts)?

You guys are the coolest- We're looking forward to seeing you at some events this summer! My wagon is also getting some upgrades, and I can't wait to test 'em out. See you soon!

PS- LOVE the house remodel too!
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

I decided I needed to make a post on this thread since this is the car that I like to run the best. My great husband and son have been doing a fabulous job getting the car ready for me. I have to admit that this year I have not spent very much time in the shop wrenching with them. I have a good reason (I am going to Paramedic school) and they say they understand. I am still going to try to make as many events as I can this season and will definitely be 100% on board next year!

Not sure how I missed posting on this thread as I love wagons. Those spindles look great.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parkhurst View Post
      Those spindles do look really sweet. I assume they also correct the geometry (like the ATS parts)?

You guys are the coolest- We're looking forward to seeing you at some events this summer! My wagon is also getting some upgrades, and I can't wait to test 'em out. See you soon!

PS- LOVE the house remodel too!
      Hey Scott,
      Yep, same basic idea about improving geometry. What's going on with your wagon? Am I missing a build thread somewhere, or are you making improvements under the cloak of darkness? Sneaky Skunkworks stuff?

You must have seen the house pictures on Deb's facebook. I have been thinking about posting some pictures of it in the outhouse section here. That way I will have an excuse for not getting car stuff done...
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Debington View Post
      I decided I needed to make a post on this thread since this is the car that I like to run the best. My great husband and son have been doing a fabulous job getting the car ready for me. I have to admit that this year I have not spent very much time in the shop wrenching with them. I have a good reason (I am going to Paramedic school) and they say they understand. I am still going to try to make as many events as I can this season and will definitely be 100% on board next year!
      Well, I thought I would be able to make a smart alack remark about this, but Deb helped out on the 66 yesterday for a handful of hours so she took away my ammunition... Truth is, as much as we use power tools and play hard we can definitely use a paramedic around the house. My EMT skills just aren't that good (especially for self help).
      Tom

Hey Neil,
      Just caught up on your build thread before seeing that you posted here. Awesome! Did I see somewhere that you're making the trip to RTTS?
      Tom

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com