Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best Option Tiger Cage, 67 Camaro?

After autocrossing several events this past year I have come to the realization that I cannot stay in the bucket seat very well. I would definitely like some advice on my options in regard to installing a 4 point roll cage or other options that may be out there...I definitly need 4 point seat belts installed. Appears Tiger Cage may be my best option since car is completly finished. The trunk is finished out too with a sound system. Attached are two pics.

Any helpful tips?

Brad
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Any cage is probably the right way to go if you want to use a harness. Tiger cage installation will be easiest and require least modification of interior IMHO. But, you will still need to modify (and maybe move) your interior pieces. Otherwise, maybe you could just get a race bucket with some better side support?
      Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Rotofab CF Intake
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - basket case

Formerly - many cars I shouldn't have sold.

Country Flag: United States
      Tiger Cage is an great way to go. only mods are drilling holes to mount. I have the first gen and second gen and can be installed over a weekend.

Ron

"If at first you don't succeed Skydiving is not for you"

1970 Z28
      Scott Mock C6 Subframe, Ridetech RJoint 4 link
      LSX454
      Anvil Auto - through the build

If your need is for autocrossing why not change the seat? Even with the tiger cage and harnesses you'll still slide around on the stocker.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

The seat belts will help, but you'll still need to do some hanging on. A seat upgrade is the way to go. You need a seat that supports your ribs and/or shoulders. The seat belt should be only for keeping you back in the seat. A good seat will allow you to relax while driving and not have to hold onto the wheel to support yourself. Without being all tensed up you'll be able to feel the car much better.

Wow, I just looked at the Tiger cage..that's scary. Very scary. I wouldn't even consider it a cage or even an option. I know you're looking at the function in the seat and not the function of the cage if it's ever needed to be used, but if you are in an accident, that could be more dangerous than not having a cage. Furthermore when you're strapped into a seat with race style harnesses, you don't want the bar behind your seat (holding your shoulder harnesses) to be more than a 15* angle below your shoulder line. Harnesses are meant to hold you BACK into the seat, NOT down into the seat. Down into the seat can cause serious spine injuries over time or just in a matter of seconds (due to a crash/accident)

maybe not useful in your search, but just my .02
      Chris Ronson

-1967 Camaro SS
      -1966 LeMans - Project "Last Breath" (breaking ground 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
      Wow, I just looked at the Tiger cage..that's scary. Very scary.

I'm very curious what you base those comments on. I don't have one. But for it's intended purpose I see zero issues with it. Remember - for it's intended purpose.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

it's intended purpose is different for everyone who buys one.

the harness bar is too low like i mentioned and under normal use can cause spinal problems in the long run (unless you're short and the seat with harness slides are properly lower), or serious injury if in an accident. all of those joints will collapse under force and could easily cause serious bodily injury if the car is t-boned or rolled.

to me, all that is for is show. it looks pretty, that's it. (for the record i don't think it does, it's too busy with all those clamps). A good welded in proper cage (even a basic one) would look 100% better than this in the car
      Chris Ronson

-1967 Camaro SS
      -1966 LeMans - Project "Last Breath" (breaking ground 2017)

Ahh the tiger cage...... is that thing "still pending" "under review" for certification ...... save your $$$ .. if you desire a cage... pay a good shop to build you one.
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
      Wow, I just looked at the Tiger cage..that's scary. Very scary. I wouldn't even consider it a cage or even an option. I know you're looking at the function in the seat and not the function of the cage if it's ever needed to be used, but if you are in an accident, that could be more dangerous than not having a cage. Furthermore when you're strapped into a seat with race style harnesses, you don't want the bar behind your seat (holding your shoulder harnesses) to be more than a 15* angle below your shoulder line. Harnesses are meant to hold you BACK into the seat, NOT down into the seat. Down into the seat can cause serious spine injuries over time or just in a matter of seconds (due to a crash/accident)

ridetech has already stated that it's only in that low position for the picture to show rear seat access. They have another pic somewhere where it's actually up around shoulder height. The installation manual even says it's unsafe to use it down low.

Aside from that, what is "scary" about it?

EDIT: Also, it's been certified by one of the big racing factions, I forget which one.
      Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru Turn, some other stuff, awaiting LS1 swap
      71 Duster - all stock, slant 6, automatic. awaiting HEMI/T56 swap

Thanks to all that have provided feedback. The plan for now is to buy a seat and install for select autocross events. Second, I have brought another car to install a full cage...more to come on the next project. I will have the Camaro at RTTS April 1st.

Matt,

I think ECTA (east coast timing association) approved the cage to ?150 mph?

The ECTA approved the Tigercage ROLLBAR to 175 MPH according to a press relase last summer http://www.ridetech.com/info/2010/10...certification/. This does not mean it is accepted at other Land Speed Racing venues, only for the ECTA.

That said, Joe Timney (owner of the ECTA)http://www.ecta-lsr.com/ also owns and operates Delaware Chassis Works http://delawarechassisworks.net/ . Joe has lots of experience with traditional rollbar/ cage construction. Joe took over the ECTA after his good friend and the previous owner of the ECTA was killed in a crash at B'ville http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=11. He is a safety foremost kind of guy with lots of experience. Joe was a big help in the design and material selection for the rollcage in my car and after all the conversations I had with him I doubt he would approve the Tigercage ROLLBAR if he had any doubts about its fitness for the applications it was approved for. Whether it will be approved for other Land Speed venues or other sanctioning bodies is still up in the air at this time as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      The ECTA approved the Tigercage ROLLBAR to 175 MPH according to a press relase last summer http://www.ridetech.com/info/2010/10...certification/. This does not mean it is accepted at other Land Speed Racing venues, only for the ECTA.

That said, Joe Timney (owner of the ECTA)http://www.ecta-lsr.com/ also owns and operates Delaware Chassis Works http://delawarechassisworks.net/ . Joe has lots of experience with traditional rollbar/ cage construction. Joe took over the ECTA after his good friend and the previous owner of the ECTA was killed in a crash at B'ville http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=11. He is a safety foremost kind of guy with lots of experience. Joe was a big help in the design and material selection for the rollcage in my car and after all the conversations I had with him I doubt he would approve the Tigercage ROLLBAR if he had any doubts about its fitness for the applications it was approved for. Whether it will be approved for other Land Speed venues or other sanctioning bodies is still up in the air at this time as far as I know.
      I agree, the big thing about ECTA rating is it lends credence for others to base their certifications on. But only time will tell.
      As for bashing something that actually works, is a great product and isnt just made for looking pretty, go to ridetech.com and do some reading.
      I know Bret very well and if he builds something its gotta meet HIS demanding trials and testing, and that means run it till it breaks.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I agree. Ther are lots of thongs to debate about the tiger cage, but whether or not it's safe or well designed is certainly not one of the . As for every person buying one doing so for reasons other than its into deed purpose, I would very strongly disagree. No, it's not a real "cage" and it's not cheap. However, I think it deserves credit for what it is.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

As for Tiger cage safety I have seen pictures of a car that rolled with one installed after a mishap at a dragstrip, as for its integrity the cars floor gave way before any failure of the Tiger Cage (there was none only asphalt rash after roof wore through),,,,ie it actually held together and the guys less than adequate body mans floor replacement weld job actually failed more than the mounts or the cage.
      The cage actually kept the driver from having his helmet and head eroded by a 140mph slide,,,oh and the car will be rebuilt,,, nad by a better body man this time from what I hear. Ill get some pics as soon as I can too post.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Any pics on this car yet?

Checking in to see if any pics or updates came about. The cage has been out long enough that some "real world" tests might have happened by now. Otherwise I don't want to be a broke guinea pig.

I have been looking at the tiger cage and have heard all good info about it.I like the way you have the stereo set up in the trunk did you do it?Can you tell me how it was done?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com