Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Clarke MIG welder

Anyone reccomend one of these? Good price right now.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLK-WE6523/

Country Flag: United States
      I have one, and have used it for almost 3 years. I got it at Northern Tool for next to nothing as my "starter" welder. After three years, and probably 50lbs of wire, the only problem that I have (as of about a month ago) is that the gun has wiggled a little loose and now the tip spins so I need a new one. I am debating just getting a new welder, but this one has been pretty damn good to me.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Do you have the gas kit for it? Can't find it on summit.

The Clarke model should come with the regulator, but any regulator should work.
      http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...egulator&dds=1
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I do quite a bit of welding, thats why I went with miller. I have a miller 180 for my home. I've used cheap welders before, not that specific model, but other clarke welders, and would never suggest to anyone to buy one. They may be ok in jam when nothing else is available, but I would never use as my main welder. To me, welding is an art. It takes a lot of different things all falling into place to create a nice weld, and the clarke just isnt capable in my opinion. Im not new to welding as I've welded for over 15 years, industrial and fabrication. I've used mainly Millers for that time, and feel they are the best welders out there.

If you really can't afford something like the miller, look into Hobart. They are a very nice welder for the money. I would buy a Hobart over a Lincoln anyday. Or, a cheap welder that has recently got my attention is the one offered by eastwood. I have no idea how they weld, but the fact that they have infinite adjustability on both wire speed and voltage is a huge plus in a cheap welder. One of the biggest problems with cheap welders is getting the settings correct. If you only have 4 heat settings, you then have to compensate the wire speed to the thickness of the metal your working on. Thats not an ideal situation to create a good weld.

heres a link to the eastwood.
      As you can see, it has infinite adjustability, a regulator included. If I was looking for an inexpensive welder and had to choose, I'd choose this one.
      http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

well, all this talk of welding and it got me looking, and thinking, and looking....went ahead and got me a new welder today:

A millermatic 140. I forgot just how expensive quality is, but hopefully tomorrow when I lay my first bead it will all be worth it!

My build Beast

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      I have one, and have used it for almost 3 years. I got it at Northern Tool for next to nothing as my "starter" welder. After three years, and probably 50lbs of wire, the only problem that I have (as of about a month ago) is that the gun has wiggled a little loose and now the tip spins so I need a new one. I am debating just getting a new welder, but this one has been pretty damn good to me.
      Pull the screws from the handle and separate the plastic handle halfs. There is a setscrew that retains the neck of the gun. Mine was spinning around as well, one new setscrew later and it was up and operational.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Injected65 View Post
      Pull the screws from the handle and separate the plastic handle halfs. There is a setscrew that retains the neck of the gun. Mine was spinning around as well, one new setscrew later and it was up and operational.

Chris
      I Did that twice and now I guess it is just stripped. I can't get it any tighter and the thing still spins. It's pretty easy to replace the gun, but my awesome wife took me to the welding shop on my birthday and said, "pick one."

My build Beast

Thanks for the advice justasquid. After starting this thread I found out about the eastwood machine and I am seriously considering getting that one instead of the clarke. I did a bit of research and there are a lot of good reviews about them. I really like the infinite adjustability too. As a plus they are very affordable, especially the 115V one. I can't afford the high end Millar stuff yet, someday!

I agree, that looks to be the best cheaper welder available. If you get one, be sure to repost how it works. Im really curious about their performance.
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

I got a clarke like that as my first welder at 15, its still kicking and its paid for itself hundreds of times. I'm planning to get a syncrowave 200 soon because I want to learn tig but I'll be keeping the clarke around.
      Tom

trailers are for boats and broke stuff.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com