Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

regular sway bar vs nascar style

I am curious as to what the differences are from a stock sway bar style (but oversized aftermaket) vs a nascar style with the arms like the ones ART makes?

Pros/cons for each.......

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

Well, the 3-piece "NASCAR-style" bars are pretty trick, and a lot of guys are running them, but we went away from them on our asphalt Late Model. Reason being, we found that 3-piece style would only twist a certain amount before it'd bind up and make the car push, whereas the regular tubular ones didn't do that.

Now on a Pro-Touring or roadrace car that may not be an issue, but that's been my experience with them, and the driver I've been working with much prefers the feel of the tubular bar over the 3-piece.

-matt

Thanks for the input monteboy84. I am new to all this, what do you mean by make the car ''push''?

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

No problem. When a driver describes how a car is handling, the two simplest terms they can use are "tight", or "loose", and a push describes a tight handling condition, referring to the front end "pushing" out in a corner. Loose then, being the opposite, means that the rear end of the car wants to come around in a corner, you may hear this described as "free", since you're really able to freely put the front end of the car where you want.

In general, a slight loose condition is what's desired.

-matt

Country Flag: United States
      Ok, Ill jump in. I have the "nascar type" sway bars on the back and the front.

I had to customize the arms for my suspension only on the front. Not a big deal. But the BIG diff that I see is the HUGE amount of spring rates that are available with the "nascar" type sway bar.

If you go with an aftermarket one piece bar you are limited to what the spring rate of that bar is. Its a formed bar that is meant to be used on a variety of cars. There really isnt any tuning going on. And IMO a sway bar should be a tuning aid.

But not to diss the suppliers of aftermarket sway bars. They do provide a fix for some needy cars. And you cant expect them to make a sway bar for every car out there, custom tuned. But a "nascar" style sway bar setup can give you the extra tuning that you might want to get. But to find the correct spring rate can and will be a search.

I searched high and low for spring rates for one piece bars so I could get a base line. I COULD NOT get any spring rates for one piece bars. So it was a crap shoot for me to pick a torsion bar that would react correctly with my car.

I got lucky. The rear bar is good I think. Its pretty darn good. But after some driving Im thinking my front bar is a lil weak. Not a problem. A new torsion bar is only 90 bucks. I can keep the custom bent arms and the end links. I just have to remove the bar from the frame, slide in the new bar and its good to go.

Im good with the sway bar setup (three piece or nascar style) I have. I got lucky on the rear rate. And to be honest, I dont think Ill be swapping out the front bar any time soon, its ok for me, I just think it could be a lil stiffer. JR
      What I write is opinion, none of it is factual. 2010

Even though I'm conscious it doesn't mean I'm coherent. 2011

I'm getting better with age. Best thing about old age is I don't know any better. 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
      Ok, Ill jump in. I have the "nascar type" sway bars on the back and the front.

I had to customize the arms for my suspension only on the front. Not a big deal. But the BIG diff that I see is the HUGE amount of spring rates that are available with the "nascar" type sway bar.

If you go with an aftermarket one piece bar you are limited to what the spring rate of that bar is. Its a formed bar that is meant to be used on a variety of cars. There really isnt any tuning going on. And IMO a sway bar should be a tuning aid.

But not to diss the suppliers of aftermarket sway bars. They do provide a fix for some needy cars. And you cant expect them to make a sway bar for every car out there, custom tuned. But a "nascar" style sway bar setup can give you the extra tuning that you might want to get. But to find the correct spring rate can and will be a search.

I searched high and low for spring rates for one piece bars so I could get a base line. I COULD NOT get any spring rates for one piece bars. So it was a crap shoot for me to pick a torsion bar that would react correctly with my car.

I got lucky. The rear bar is good I think. Its pretty darn good. But after some driving Im thinking my front bar is a lil weak. Not a problem. A new torsion bar is only 90 bucks. I can keep the custom bent arms and the end links. I just have to remove the bar from the frame, slide in the new bar and its good to go.

Im good with the sway bar setup (three piece or nascar style) I have. I got lucky on the rear rate. And to be honest, I dont think Ill be swapping out the front bar any time soon, its ok for me, I just think it could be a lil stiffer. JR

Thanks JR, If I go the 3 piece bar it will be one from Ride Tech designed for my car s I am guessing it should be the right rate for my application. The car will be 99% street so I dont think it will be that much of an issue but I wanted to understand the difference for my own knowledge as well as the $300 price difference lol.

Also I will most likely get the sway bar before my new steering gear and some of the 1 piece ones will not fit some steering box configurations due to the larger diameter bars. From what I understand the Ride Tech one does not pass through where the pitman arm is so it should clear any box.

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

I went with the ridetech Musclebar 3 piece swaybar (not splined, but same idea) for no other reason than it gave me more tire clearance. Might not be the best reason, but it did solve a problem.
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      I went with the ridetech Musclebar 3 piece swaybar (not splined, but same idea) for no other reason than it gave me more tire clearance. Might not be the best reason, but it did solve a problem.
      Tom

How do you like it Tom? That is the one I am lookin at but obviously the one for the Impala's lol

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

Quote Originally Posted by 61ragtop View Post
      How do you like it Tom? That is the one I am lookin at but obviously the one for the Impala's lol
      Love it! Well made kit and well engineered. I don't know the exact rate of the bar but might have been a little light for the big block, but should be very nice with the LS conversion. I definitely don't have the knowledge or experience (yet) to do bar swaps for different events, but most important to us is being able to drive it comfortably to and from events then thrash it when the time comes. And of course, like most red blooded Americans I want the best of both worlds...
      Tom

Good to hear it is a solid piece Tom!!!! I am running a SBC so the Big block issue won't be a problem for me. I don't know if I will ever need to swap out bars as it will be a street machine not track. But as you mentioned we want the best of both worlds if possible so we can lay the smack down when needed!!

What are you using on the rear?

Kevin Freund

1961 Impala Drop Top

Quote Originally Posted by 61ragtop View Post
      What are you using on the rear?
      Just switched from a traditional 1" Hotchkis bar that worked great to the DSE 1 1/8" hollow bar that mounts to the rearend axle tubes and the crossmember. It is also a very nice piece but we haven't driven with it yet. We had a gift certificate (door prize) from and event last year and used it to buy the bar.
      Tom

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com