Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Second Gen Camaro Interior Question....

Ok so my dad and I are restoring an 80 Z28. We both like the looks of the earlier "wraparound" style gauge cluster and dash as opposed to the later flat dash the 80 came with. Our question is what years did the dash change from the early style to the later style, and can an early style go into a later second gen without modifications?

We want to go from this style....

to this style....

Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Not too familiar with the camaro specifics, but know the 2nd gens pretty well. All dashes will interchange (70-81) as they do with the firebirds. Cowl and sheet metal in the frontal areas did not change. cant help you on what years they made the particular designs.

Country Flag: Netherlands

yea-1978

78 is that last year of the wrap around. I have a 79 z-28 and have had the complete dash out a couple times. The gauge cluster is the same so that would not have to be switched out. The actual dash just snaps into the metal strip where the defrost is installed and the lower plastic I believe is still the same as a 78, at least mine was. So you would need a new dash form 70-78, a new gauge cover, and the AC vents are different also, with the airbox behind them being different. I installed a 70-78 Vintage air kit in my car and the center AC was about the only thing I had to fabricate to fit my 79 dash. You could probably buy that center AC part from Vintage air
      Z-28 has a built 383SBC. The heads are AFR 195 CNC ported with a 274 Solid Extreme Energy Cam. 1.6 rockers an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and a 650 Holley carb. Turbo400 with a 10" ATI convertor 3200 Stall. 3.42 posi. Hotchkis springs/swaybar/UCA and Bilstein shocks.

thanks for the info, hopefully this swap will be easier than i thought
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
      thanks for the info, hopefully this swap will be easier than i thought
      The only issue you will have is finding a dash from a pre-79 car that isn't curled up at the rear where it meets the metal structure. These dashes are more proned to curling than cracking while the 79-81 dash will actually crack.

So when shopping for a early dash make sure you clarify this with the seller before you buy. They may tell you it's not cracked but "forget" to mention the nasty curl at the rear of it.

Otherwise you might need to just look into buying a new OER reproduction dash pad.

yeah i just figured I would buy an OER reproduction and save myself the hassle of tracking a good original down. I know it probably wont fit as well but thats not a huge concern
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

If you decide to do this, I have the correct AC box for the center vent.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

thanks, ill let you know
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
      yeah i just figured I would buy an OER reproduction and save myself the hassle of tracking a good original down. I know it probably wont fit as well but thats not a huge concern
      1970-1978 is the rounded dash.

Mine is a Classic Industries OER purchased dash. Went in with zero issues even after sitting in my attic through 3 hot summers. :D
      I know some people complain about fitment, but my only real complaint is one very tiny section in the very middle that doesn't
      line up perfectly, but it's not an attention whore show car. So it's good enough for me. This was done Spring 2010
      I still haven't figured out what I'm putting in my AC vent yet. CB radio or gauge pod, or something unique.

If you are going to use the original gauges from your 80 you will find that the blinkers are in a different place on the 70-78's (they are lower on the dash) they use a plastic bar to refect the light to the 79-81 location.. the "bars" are removable.... just and FYI

Thanks for all the info guys, I also bought a OER reproduction dash and have a lot of the plastics already. I hope it all fits together decent. Its no show car so it doesnt have to be perfect.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com