Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Clear coating a single stage color for depth

Hey guys I need some input, We have done this before on a black car where we painted in ChromaOne solid black and we knoced if flat then cleared over it. The depth of the paint was amazing and it was super flat right out of the booth. What my question is has anybody ever tried with a solid red color? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this and wondering if the same results will happen. I know it may seem like a little more work but it really did look good. Please give me some feedback and we will keep you posted on updates!

why would you want to have twice the thickness if you can have same results with base/clear ? I could never understand people who would use single stage paint and cover it or mix it with clear
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

I've cleared over single stage before. My main reason was at the time, I didn't have money, and I saved quite a bit of money by using single stage instead of basecoat. Also, I used a pearl metallic red. I was only starting out painting, and I knew my finish wasn't going to be that smooth (orange peel) and I wanted to be able to sand it smooth and wheel it out, which would not work with the paint I was using. It turned out much nicer than I thought it would. Shine, oh yes... depth... not so much. The truck still looks decent today for being driven the last 14 years through snow, mud and just about everything michigan throws at it.

From what I've read, single stage cleared over actually diminishes the depth of some colors. Black and red being two of the colors that it can happen with. Some of the deepest color show cars are single stage. Clear coat can actually diminishes the depth you see in the final paint. It seems like the more layers you have, the more depth right? But each layer of clear actually filters out the shine back from the paint, so the depth is not as good. You can get a really shiny paint from the clear itself, but the depth can become less.

Having said that, for me, I wouldn't want to shoot a solid red single stage. You can color sand it and get it smooth, but red tends to loose a little of its redness after its been sanded. It can take on an orangish appearance.. At least, thats what I've seen. If your using a solid red, I would use a base coat clear coat red.

But, if I were you, I would do a test panel and spray it red. then tape off half of it and clear it. Wet sand and wheel it out and see what the difference is. Each paint can have various effects, and you may like the cleared over single better.

Im just stating again, Im not a professional, just a novice painter. so take it for whats its worth.
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

Country Flag: United States
      I have had several people look at my single stage cut and buffed and think it is bc/cc.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

My painter paints quite a few Grand Nationals a year (black cars). He will use a single stage black, add a flattener before spraying, then clear coat over it. Makes for an awesome paint job. Not sure if it would work with other colors, I doubt it. I assume that is what you mean rather than clearcoating ontop of a single stage job?
      Greg
      1970 challenger convert-in process
      1970 barracuda-driver

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com