Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New to Pro_Touring with a few questions...

I'm currently considering Global West's suspension setup for my 68 Camaro. Question, do any of you have the Stage 4 or 5 Global West setup and are you running the QA1 GMP13s. I have two primary concerns 1) How "harsh" is the ride and 2) If I retain the 427BB (currently in the car), will the additional weight of the big block negatively impact what I am trying to accomplish in terms of a very good handling early F Body. p.s. I plan on using Baer's 13" track rotor setup with 18s on the back and 17s on the front.

Do a search on the term 'spring rate', and this thread will show up with some basic thoughts.

Perception of ride quality is an extremely individual thing, even among members of performance-oriented fora, so can you hint at what's acceptable given the intended usage? Be honest about your tolerance for NVH, because what I (or others) might label as "somewhat firm" you might find to be completely unacceptable in daily driving or even weekend-cruising-only duty. Road conditions in your area matter, too.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

I currently have the Global West Suspension on my Second Gen Camaro and Love it I have the Del-Alum Bushing and the ride quality is much smoother and than the poly bushings I'm Using.

if you have questions on any Globalwest suspension parts please call me 480-664-8908
      you can talk to Dave or Ron

Thanks for the feedback. I would have replied sooner but ran into some technical difficulties.

Norm: Thanks for the thread. QA1s GMP 13s were designed with a big block so I expect the ride to be pretty firm. Global West's web site says their stage 4 kit has a "harsh" ride. If harsh is approx the same as my 02 Vette's ride with the ride selector on performance, then harsh is not a problem.

Dave/Ron: What kind of sway bar did you run up front and did you retain the stock steering box etc. Also, what suspension mods would you recommend for the rear suspension keeping in mind that I will installing DSE mini tubs and looking to fit 315s or better under the sheetmetal. I'll try calling you guys on this subject before the week is out.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to reply

Global West Cat 5

I had the global west cat 5 setup on a '69 a few years back, with BB springs front, SS replacement springs rear, QA1s all around. The ride was quite good for a performance car - probably as good or better than my '95 Z/28 - with the right shock adjustment. The QA1s are really the hot ticket that way - back them off a few clicks for street driving, firm them up for track work.
      Orange 69 Camaro RS, DSE, Baer, LS7/T56, driven!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com