Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Stereo wiring suggestion

So I'm gathering parts for the stereo system in the Firebird. The dash has not been cut up (I want to keep it that way), so I'm going with the Retrosound head unit,

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/1

I have 6.5" component in the kick panel, and 6x9's in the deck, and plan on adding an amp or two.

Here's the question. Since the retrosound unit only have 4-channel RCA pre-amp outputs, how do I add a sub to the system? Use the RCA pre-amp outputs for the speakers, and speaker leads for the sub amp?

thanks.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Several ways to accomplish this... one way is to use an active crossover on the rear output. Another way...use a pair of Y-adapter RCA cables on the front set of RCA cables and run two amps and use the rear RCA set as your sub amp output. Yet another way is to purchase a 5 channel amp. There are a number of ways to do this, I would go to your local trusted stereo shop, tell them what you plan to do with the system and what components that you want to run. They can give you some good advice.
      Shannon

Modo Innovations
      940-391-9002

I may have to look into the y-adapter rca cables. I've read several manuals on 5-channel amps, and all of the wiring diagrams show a separate sub pre-amp out from the head unit to the amp.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Or, how about using the amp to drive the front speakers/sub, and the head unit drives the rear speakers?
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Not sure how the y adapter would turn out as it would reduce voltage in your rca's.What I have seen on the market is amps that allow for sub use coming from the amp for the components.This one is expensive but you can see what I'm refering tohttp://www.crutchfield.com/s_136HD60....html?tp=35782.
      Kacy
      79 Corvette, 406 SBC, Holley EFI, 700R4

Quote Originally Posted by KacyZ28 View Post
      Not sure how the y adapter would turn out as it would reduce voltage in your rca's.What I have seen on the market is amps that allow for sub use coming from the amp for the components.This one is expensive but you can see what I'm refering tohttp://www.crutchfield.com/s_136HD60....html?tp=35782.
      Thanks Kacy. That's a very expensive amp. I think what I'm going to do is use a 4-channel amp to drive the front speakers/sub, and the head unit to drive the rear speakers.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX36...-4.html?tp=115
      Is one cheaper in price seems that site only has JL's that have that feature but look around
      Kacy

Kacy,
      thanks for the links. I stopped by the local stereo shop after work and they set me up with 2 Alpine amps (a 4-channel with RCA preouts for the sub amp; and a 500W sub amp), plus a 10" JL Audio sub for 10% off. Now I just have to wire up the car, and hook up the system.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Cool let us know how it turns out.
      Kacy

I am not trying to offend, but you sound like you don't have any experience installing stereos. Please do yourself a favor. Make sure that you use fuses in your system. In your main power wire for the amps (which I assume will be in the trunk) you will need to hook directly to the battery. Fuse that lead as close to the battery as possible! If you don't, you run the risk of burning your car to the ground! When running multiple amps, I use one large fuse at the battery and use a fused distribution block to get power to both amps.
      The amperage that comes from a battery is serious stuff!

I've done a couple of stereo installations in my previous cars, but they were with single amp. This is my first attempt installing 2-amps, and building subwoofer box. I love new challenges.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Just take your time and have fun with it. When you build the sub box, use MDF, screws, and plenty of glue. Before I put in the subs, I use poly fill (the stuff that goes in pillows) in the box to help dampen the backwave of the speaker...helps to take some of the ringing out of the box. We need to see pics when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by CarPlayLB View Post
      Just take your time and have fun with it. When you build the sub box, use MDF, screws, and plenty of glue. Before I put in the subs, I use poly fill (the stuff that goes in pillows) in the box to help dampen the backwave of the speaker...helps to take some of the ringing out of the box. We need to see pics when you're done!
      Will definitely post some pictures. It's a bit early to ask, but I'll ask anyway since we're on the subject. Where should the sub be facing? Toward the back, front, or up thru the rear deck?
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I guess I'm late to the thread-I would have suggested a couple diff amps that have bridgeable leads for your rear speakers and a sub but anyway...
      it does not matter which way your subs are facing-especially if they are designed for a sealed enclosure? If it is a ported box, there are many ways to accomplish great bass depending on how much airflow measured in cubic inches you allow for-the sub should have specs on that-For example, if you listen to rock, you want less airspace for a tighter bass response-if you like hip-hop, you want more since more airspace will give it a lot more boomy reflex....of course it's different for sealed subs. For rear mounted subs, I don't care for any rearfill speakers since the bass tends to drown out the sound. I prefer to build a 100% front stage stereo arrangement-everything up front in other words. I lean heavy towards sound quality and not just db levels....so I build my systems to that regard. If you want to get real picky down the road-drop me a line...I can suggest really nice active crossover horns for high frequency front staging that will blow you away! Often, too much bass will distort the overall sound quality of the higher frequencies that simply driving off the deck or even small amps can't compete with so you can offset it with a set of horns. Then there are audio controls with mutiple EQ settings to tune with. You can get carried away real quick. Stereo systems are a lot buildign horsepower-once you start building, you can't get enough and you keep going for more...lol. Good luck with your install and if you need help with custom electronics for safeguards or diagrams for auto shutdowns, voltage spike protections, let me know I can help you out!
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Far as I know there is no correct answer for which way the subs have to face.What I usually do is put them in a box and try all different ways to see which sounds best when you are sitting in the drivers seat.For example in my Camaro it was best facing up,The Beretta I had was facing backwards and in my s10 they are currently facing forward,but am wanting to build a different box to see if I can make it sound better
      Kacy

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com