Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: chrome removal

chrome removal

Any tricks for removing chrome, tried bead & sand blasting. Grinding with 36 then 180 grit disc's seem to work best. Trying to remove chrome to powder coat for a black out look. Any chemical type stripper ? Trying to speed up the process. HELP

Country Flag: United States
      call the chrome shop.
      67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

what pieces are you working on? Most of the chrome trim on older cars is actually stainless, not chrome plated.

if it is chrome, you may want to contact a chrome shop as already suggested. Or, you can scuff it, and use an ahesion promoter and then paint it. You won't have to remove the chrome that way, and you will be able to match the finished color a little better. Powder coat tends to have its own shade. it may take a lot of trial and error to get it all to match.
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

Door handles, trim pieces, gas cap, tail light rings & ect. Its on my sons 1970 Opel GT we are finishing up a ground up type rebuild, it is chrome plating, not stainless as lots of the parts have chrome peeling off, thats why I figured we would just remove the chrome and powder coat so it will be more durable than paint. Just thought I would ask maybe someone would have a trick to make it easier. Thanks for the info.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com