Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1983 mustang question?

I know its an odd ball question and not pro-touring related but i am having trouble with this 83 mustang.i went to buy tires for it today and to my surprise the tire size was neither a 15" nor a 16" its in between so what i am planning to do is get some of those 16" pony rims as they are called. what i want to know is will a 245/50/16 front and 255/50/16 rear fit this car? hoepfully some of you fords guys can help me or tell me what website to go to?
      thanks

"LIVE AND LET LIVE"

they will fit with no problems, I had a '92 5.0 LX That had 235's in front, 255's out back on the Pony rims. No clearance issues whatsoever.

Country Flag: United States
      You had the TRX wheels,245 may be a little to big for the front.You also may find that the 255 may look a little odd on the narrow Pony wheel,even some 245's do. I have Ponys/235/245 on my 93 Coupe and I think it is a good set up.

I just put a brand new set of factory Ford chrome ponies on my 1992 5.0 LX coupe daily driver. I went with a Nitto 450 all season performance tire, size 245/50/16 all the way around. The only time I ever get a real little squeak or scrub in the front is under full lock when I'm pulling out of a parking space or something and it doesn't rub that bad at all. Here's the thing with your 83 Mustang though. When Ford put the 16x7 pony wheels on the Mustangs in 91-93 they made a change to the lower body filler panel between the lower front bumper and the front of the front wheel well opening to accomodate the wider wheel and tire combo for better clearance. I also think that they changed the lower front control arms for better geometry but don't quote me on that part. You could just stick with 225/55/16 in front and do 245/50/16 in the rear if you don't mind not being able to rotate the tires or deal with a little scrub occasionally with 245s all the way around. I also have a 1985 LX 5.0 Notch with the 5 lug SN95 conversion with 17x8 bullitt wheels with 245/45/17s and I don't have any issues with them clearing at all but then again the SN95 spindles may have helped with a touch more clearance. I would not run 255s in the rear on a 16x7 wheel, there is too much sidewall bulge and it may affect performance. I've had 4 fox body mustangs and consider myself somewhat knowledgable on them. I also have a few very good Mustang resources if anybody needs any help especially on the 79-93 stangs.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com