Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Quote Originally Posted by TnBlkC230WZ View Post
      Not every handicap person has visibly disabled. Your comment of stupid, fat and ugly is pretty insensitive. My active, independent wife of 30 years was diagnosed with brain cancer at age 50. The chemo, neuro radiation, and cancer took a toll on her independence, physical fitness and appearance for the last four and a half years of her life. I hope she didn't fall into your "gtfo" group.

You don't always now what or why people are disabled. Like you, I used to prejudge the use of handicap placards based on appearance, but looks can be deceiving.
      I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Sorry if this offends you, but having grown up with friends who are really seriously permanently physically disabled my view is centered around people actually in wheelchairs (one is paraplegic and another is quadriplegic) I have frequently driven around with them and been unable to find parking due to this very issue.

The worst are those with placards that take the Van accessible spots that only people in wheelchairs should be taking (they really can't park anywhere else; the lifts in their vehicles preclude that).

IMHO disabled spots should be for only those in wheelchairs or with very serious mobility disabilities. Those are pretty visible and pretty easy to spot if you watch people for a few moments, most of the time it involves wheelchairs or other orthopedic equipment. If you are able to walk even with pain that is a far better spot than someone confined to a wheelchair who has very significant trouble navigating even with help.

There is certainly different levels of disability but when people who are nearly completely physically disabled can't get parking in handicapped spots (who they were originally designed for) then maybe its time to raise the bar back up.

Hi folks! First post here. This thread caught my attention and wanted to chime in. Thank you to all those who have inconvenienced these offenders. I have a couple stories.

I was at a local store parked at the closest accessible spot at the end of the row, as I reached down to open my door when a guy in a RAV4 came real close to sideswiping my truck and stopped in the loading zone in front of me. I got out and told him that I almost opened my door when he drove in, "oh, sorry". He was stopping there to pick up his wife and baby. As we started heading towards the store, another lady came up and parked about 8 inches from the side of my truck, half in the loading zone, and half in the driving lane. I continued in and my wife told the lady that she can't park there, she looked at her and said "What are you? the cops??" (my uncle's brother in law is the chief of police) We continued toward the store, my wife opened the door so I could get my walker in a little easier, as I'm headed towards the door, the same lady barges by me and goes though the door. She went to the head of the line, cutting in front of about 5 people, the clerk at the store told her to wait in line. She did but was very unhappy about it. My wife spoke to the store personnel and the cops were called, unfortunately, she had already left. I would love to see her again as I am now mostly in a power chair, I might have a controller malfunction and drive over her $400 shoes. My uncle, a retired cop, told me that if she was parked illegally in a loading zone, and I happened to slip and the butt end of my cane were to, say, go through her side window, she would have to make a choice. She could suck it up and pay for the window herself, or, call the cops, pay the fine and then pay for her window.

Just read some of the other posts. As far as HC spots at the gym go, I have called many times in the past 3 weeks because when I go to work out, there is someone illegally parked in the space AND in the loading zone. I have a rear mounted chair lift so I don't need the extra space for a side lift, but I do need to open my door up all the way to get into my truck. I also need the space so my chair can come up close to the driver's door. I have our local non emergency police number stored in my phone. I used to park in regular spots before I had my chair, the only time I really used it was when I was at work, I did ATM repair. I still feel awkward calling the PD as often as I do to deal with these people. I'm just worried that the PD is going to stop coming. I doubt that they would stop, it's $250 every time I find one, but still, I don't want to become the guy that caused a criminal to get away because I was calling about a parking issue when the bank was being robbed.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaJim View Post
      Just read some of the other posts. As far as HC spots at the gym go, I have called many times in the past 3 weeks because when I go to work out, there is someone illegally parked in the space AND in the loading zone. I have a rear mounted chair lift so I don't need the extra space for a side lift, but I do need to open my door up all the way to get into my truck. I also need the space so my chair can come up close to the driver's door. I have our local non emergency police number stored in my phone. I used to park in regular spots before I had my chair, the only time I really used it was when I was at work, I did ATM repair. I still feel awkward calling the PD as often as I do to deal with these people. I'm just worried that the PD is going to stop coming. I doubt that they would stop, it's $250 every time I find one, but still, I don't want to become the guy that caused a criminal to get away because I was calling about a parking issue when the bank was being robbed.
      Keep calling. It is the dispatchers job to prioritize calls. Trust me, if the banks being robbed they won't come.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

My father-in-law was confronted for parking in a handicapped space, because he didn't look disabled, so he took off his prosthetic leg. Needless to say the person apologized profusely.

I think about friends who have lost limbs in combat and refuse to use the spots

This is one of my biggest peeves- Last august i pull into wall mart and noticed two harleys, each one parked in the yellow hash zone between the two handicapped spots, sure enough one guys comes out about 6' 3" about 250lbs all inked up and as he gets on his bike I ask him " Are you serious???" "What??" he replies "Thats a handicapped spot, are you handicapped or just stupid?" His lack of reply led me to believe the latter. I then tell him" hey I'm just looking out for you and that sweet bike, because is someone with a side loading wheelchair car pulled up next to you they would have no choice but to open up on you bike probably knocking it over, and then when you called the cops you would have to pay another $200 fine for parking there." hopefully he thinks next time- and I'm glad I didn't have to bloody his fists all up with my face to get my point across

wow

I love stories like this, good for you.

Many people complain that our parking lots at GM have too many handicap spaces (and technically they're right....there are 35 handicap spaces for our building and maybe 8 of them are ever in use) but I think it's kind of stupid to complain about having to walk the extra distance...when you CAN walk the extra distance. I have to think the 8 people who park in those spots would LOVE to have our problem.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Quote Originally Posted by trapin View Post
      I have to think the 8 people who park in those spots would LOVE to have our problem.
      Well said!
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by Amatouring View Post
      Sometimes it's not easy to tell who needs the space and who doesn't. I once saw a guy come out of the store and get into his truck parked in a handicap spot while waiting in the car. I hopped out of my car and asked why he thought it was OK to park in a handicap spot? He looked a little uncomfortable and then said "I have a tag, but I didn't put it on the Mirror". It turns out that he had a health issue that wasn't apparent. I felt like a giant A-hole, but the coolest thing was that he actually said "thanks for looking out for us" and gave me a big smile. I still call people on it once in a while, but I am a little more careful about it.
      My father has this happen to him all the time even with the disabled thing hanging in the mirror. He is younger so alot of people just assume he is ok. He always wears jeans so you can't see it and he walks perfect. You can't tell. He has a fake leg. He lost it on a bike at 18. He also has had a heart attack and has heart issues now. People approach him all the time just because they can't see what is wrong with him. Not saying you did anything wrong. I have watched him to the same thing to people and feel horrible about it. Sometimes you just don't know what has happened to people.
      1992 Z28 vortec 350 auto hardtop
      2001 regency Sierra 4.8 stepside slammed with big wheels
      1992 RS heritage edition 305 5 speed t tops (Sold)
      1991 z28 350 hardtop 12k miles (sold)
      1996 Z28 44k miles (sold)
      1994 z28 vert (sold)
      1979 Z28 (sold)
      1991 S10 350 swap (sold)
      and a ton more...

I have the same experience a lot. I am young, and appear healthy. But I have a 4' scar with a intrathecal pain pump implant in my gut with a scar on my spine where the tube runs to. I suffer from chronic pain/chronic pancreatitis. I was scheduled to attend run to the coast but had to cancel the day of due to pain. I was looking forward to running with everyone and meeting everyone. Its day by day for me, some days are hell others I feel great. But driving the camaro always makes me feel better. At track events I feel fantastic while driving because of all the adrenaline and endorphins but feel horrible in between sessions. Its a double edged sword. My camaro is a rare sight on the street these days, let alone the track. I have a hard time attending family events and bbqs. For now my car is covered until I can get back on my feet. Enough poor me nonsense.

I did manage to go for a drive in July. I went up Latigo canyon. Amazing drive.

At one point I wasn't able to drive up that road without making multiple point turns. No power steering made it next to impossible. These days its a wonderful drive.

Never assume you know what ails people and take every day for granted.

I think hanidcap spots should be for people who actually have trouble with mobility and need to be closer. It's kinda funny to me the alot of these "handicapped" people can walk around wal mart for four hours but can't walk another 40 FEET TO YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!! I think everyone has seen them.....
      85 monte, drift project- small block t5 and 8.8
      88 Blazer sbc
      05 300c

I work with a woman that uses her mother's tag to park in handicapped spots. I give her **** about it all the time but since my company doesn't seem to care there isn't much I can do.

Once our office moves in a few months I am hoping I have some more leverage to make her stop since there are several disabled people who work in that building and parking is limited.

-Tim
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

Quote Originally Posted by SS PUNISHER View Post
      I think hanidcap spots should be for people who actually have trouble with mobility and need to be closer. It's kinda funny to me the alot of these "handicapped" people can walk around wal mart for four hours but can't walk another 40 FEET TO YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!! I think everyone has seen them.....
      If you think being handicapped has to do with mobility you have a LOT to learn in life. Theres these things called internal organs, parkinsons, cancer...

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
      If you think being handicapped has to do with mobility you have a LOT to learn in life. Theres these things called internal organs, parkinsons, cancer...
      Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you, if someone's diagnosed with cancer, and given three weeks to life, every second is important for them, I have no problem walking from the very end of the parking lot (I know quite a few people recently diagnosed, actually). In fact, I park at the very back at Walmart every time even if the parking lot is empty. Never understood the 'need to park close and will spend 3 hours to get that spot' mentality.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you, if someone's diagnosed with cancer, and given three weeks to life, every second is important for them, I have no problem walking from the very end of the parking lot (I know quite a few people recently diagnosed, actually). In fact, I park at the very back at Walmart every time even if the parking lot is empty. Never understood the 'need to park close and will spend 3 hours to get that spot' mentality.
      Not that it has anything to do with disabled parking, but the mentality that they will wait forever to find that close spot. I went to a heavy commuter campus college (Cal poly Pomona). Every morning, there were 5 or 6 cars sitting in the aisles trying to get a 'good spot'. Every morning I drove through the road between the close lot, and the adjacent lot. I always found a spot immediately and walked past all those same people sitting there. God we live in a lazy society.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com