Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Covan's Dash Guage clusters

Anyone put one in a Lemans/GTO? How much modification do you have to do to fit the panel in?

I'm doing it no matter what, just trying to figure time and tools.

Country Flag: United States
      I bought the covans thunder road panel for my 64 GTO. I have not installed it but it looks like it should bolt right in. Quality seems quite good.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I've read that they're nice. If they bolt in, that would be even better. I would have imagined that the metal framing would have to be cut, but if not, that's even better.

I don't think any metal cutting will be needed.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Sweet. Thanks.

imo they are crap at least for the 69 Camaros-quality is terrible-holes do not line up and they do not leave enough room for trimming out a stock stereo-forget anything aftermarket. From 1 experience, I could not recommend Covans. I am able to make my own steel clusters now anyway so I design/build for specific customers needs now.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Well, I hope he's improved on his design then.. That's the first bad word I've heard about those things and I've looked.

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogbodies View Post
      imo they are crap at least for the 69 Camaros-quality is terrible-holes do not line up and they do not leave enough room for trimming out a stock stereo-forget anything aftermarket. From 1 experience, I could not recommend Covans. I am able to make my own steel clusters now anyway so I design/build for specific customers needs now.
      Yeah, I've had a Covan's dash for my Nova sitting in the garage for a few years. Even when I first got it, it was warped/bent. I don't really know how I'm going to get the holes to line up, but hopefully it won't be too much work.
      Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru Turn, some other stuff, awaiting LS1 swap
      71 Duster - all stock, slant 6, automatic. awaiting HEMI/T56 swap

Probably have to heat it up and then bolt it down while it cooled.

There is a huge difference between the original Covans (now called Classic Dash) and the new Covans Thunder Road. I have not installed the Lemans / GTO Thunder Road dash yet, but I have seen it and held it in my hands and it feels like a nice piece. We have sold a lot of the Thunder Road dashs and it has been a fairly smooth product line for us. There is also some new cool stuff coming down the road, lots of R and D going on over there right now.

I was wondering what the deal was with the new name. Not to hijack the thread, but Frank, how much would a Thunder Road dash be for a 69 Nova? I might try to use my old Covan dash, but if the Thunder Roads are higher quality, I may just junk it and buy a new one.
      Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru Turn, some other stuff, awaiting LS1 swap
      71 Duster - all stock, slant 6, automatic. awaiting HEMI/T56 swap

The Nova is a nice piece. I suggest ordering one and if you like it, E Bay the original if you don't, simply return it to us. i am pretty fearless on this though.

I knew there were two companies, and I've read where Covan has come out and said he's on his own now (years ago) and that the quality was better. Hopefully its the truth!

Country Flag: Canada
      Here's a pic of the one I got from Thunder Road for my 68 Acadian (Nova).

From what I've read, some of the biggest differences are that the gauge holes in the Thunder Road ones are recessed a bit. You can see it in the pic. The other difference, unless Classic Dash has changed, is that Thunder Road includes the steering column cover...CD doesn't. You can also order John's without the heater control hole. That's how I got mine. I know that John uses original parts to make molds for the news one cause I sent him my 68 cluster to use as a mold. I haven't installed mine yet, but am very impressed with the quality. Doesn't feel like some flimsy p.o.s. I was also very impressed with John's customer service. I emailed him asking if he had plans to make one for a 68 Nova. (for those that don't know, it's a one year only part). He said he would email when he was planning on doing one. I thought 'yeah right' and I'd just keep checking the site. To my surprise, about a year later I got an email from John saying that he was looking for a cluster as he was ready to do one. And now I have one.

Good to know there's still a few men of business out there vs business men..

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com