Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2nd gen vs 3rd gen camaro steering box??

What is the basic difference between the 2 power steering box's? Is there one that is better than the other to use on 1st gen Camaro? I want a tight ratio around 2.5 turns lock to lock.

For that you should go with the variable ratio box and a quick ratio pitman arm. I'm not sure if it will get it down to 2.5 but it should be close.

2nd gen box is 14 to 1 ratio, the later 70's boxes had stiffer feel than early boxes. Variable ratio boxes were discontinued in the late 70's in favor of constant ratio.

Third gen boxes have metric ports with O ring seal, Z/28, TA, IROC have 12.7 to 1 ratio.

A 2nd gen box with long pitman and shortest outer steering arms will give you very close to 2.5 turns lock to lock.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

3rd Gen Quick Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP
      What is the basic difference between the 2 power steering box's? Is there one that is better than the other to use on 1st gen Camaro? I want a tight ratio around 2.5 turns lock to lock.
      Many years ago a pro box builder (Nascar, Winston Cup, show cars, etc.) told me that it would be easier and cheaper for me to replace my 2nd Gen box with a 2rd Gen quick ratio box than to have him build me one. He told me to find a 3rd Gen that had the special-order quick ratio box, and I found one with less than 20k miles. Installed it has 2.25 turns lock to lock, all I had to do was use my original pitman arm and have the supply hose made with a metric fitting to fit the newer box.
      Jeff
      1971 RS Camaro: PAINKILLER

i believe he was referring to a "Z" box. they were availible in IROCs and GTAs not all of them had that box fi i remember right, but if you find an IROC or GTA look at the steering box. it will have a "Z" stamped in the side of it. there is a company that sells these boxes already rebuilt with adapters so that you dont have to have custom lines made. email me if you want me to dig it up. i have it somewhere.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

I too have a box off of a 3rd gen I plan using on my 80 camaro. It is the quick ratio off of an IROC Z. payed 50 bucks for it and a 1 1/4 sway bar from a TA along with some other small misc. pieces. hydraulic lines shouldnt be a problem just find a good parts store that can make a custom hydraulic line or use the lines and pump off of the 3rd gen.

my 2 cents

hey david (or anyone else)if i get the 3rd gen box (w/metric fittings) what are the odds that an ls1 power steering pump and hoses will hook up? im going ls1 anyway. thanx joel

The quick ratio 3rd Gen box should be stamped "XH". While they will give you around 2.5 turns lock-to-lock, they also have different internal stops that limit travel somewhat. They did this from the factory to keep the larger 16" wheels from hitting the steering stops.
      Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
      2006 Infiniti G35x
      Former Build - 1988 Monte Carlo SS - ZZ4-cammed TPI 355, F-body serpentine conversion, World-Class 5-speed, Eibachs/Bilsteins, Howe tall LBJs, 34mm hollow front swaybar, 3/4" straight rear bar, 17" Coys C55s, 12" front discs, and more. Sold on 2/28/11.

I'll bet the LS1 pump will work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com