Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS1 vs. S10 Rear Disc on 2nd Gen Firebird

I've read the various posts about converting to LS1 & S10/Blazer rear discs on a 2nd Gen F-Body. They both appear to be a great alternative to the factory '79-'81 WS6 Integral E-Brake set-up. My question is which set-up is easier, more readily available parts, cheaper, etc. I'm ready to begin accumulating parts, but I'm wondering which "package" is the better option.

Thanks,
      Ken

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome. 1 post in two years????

I've been doing the same research. In my climate, the Blazer stuff is all rusted junk by the time those trucks make it to the yards. TX would be completely different. The LS1 stuff seems to get picked over too fast and by the time I come across one, it is partially stripped down. I am thinking I will just go with new stuff as the part prices are not too tragic on GMpartsdirect. I am leaning LS1 at this time 'cause I don't like how deep the Blazer rotor is. I doubt I am ever going to be putting 15's back on my car so size of the LS1 set up is not really a problem for me. I am planning a 13" set up for the front so I would think a 12" rear would be a better balanced set up.
      71 Formula, 455 SD/KRE D-Ports, Crower solid cam, TKO 600, 3:73 Eaton posi. 17" ARE 200s, , 1LE brakes, Koni, Rancho adjustable bars, Hotchkis springs

I have also been wondering what the difference is. I can get either from a local yard but just don't know which is the better set up. I have been looking into doing this on my 71 chevelle 12 bolt. There is a spacer that needs to be added right?

The 2wd blazer rotor depth is the same as the LS1, the 4wd ones are too deep and won't work. Otherwise they are basically identical other that the diameter. I have done both the LS1 and S10 brakes btw.

As for a spacer, you may need one, usually about the thickness of the drum backing plate. You can cut out the backing plate for a spacer or use washers, I think I used 1/8" washers, but I checked it first by assembling the setup and checking to see if the rotor was centered in the caliper bracket/abutment.
      Last edited by Randy67; 10-30-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add info
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

I didn't know they were the same depth. From the pics I have seen the Blazer looks deeper: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109454

Seeing that you have done both, which do you prefer?
      71 Formula, 455 SD/KRE D-Ports, Crower solid cam, TKO 600, 3:73 Eaton posi. 17" ARE 200s, , 1LE brakes, Koni, Rancho adjustable bars, Hotchkis springs

One difference is on the S-10 e-brake bracket is integral to the caliper bracket whereas the LS1 is a separate bracket that will probably require some fabbing to work on a different vehicle.
      -Bob (66 Nova)

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
      I didn't know they were the same depth. From the pics I have seen the Blazer looks deeper: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109454

Seeing that you have done both, which do you prefer?
      That picture does make it look deeper, but they are very close. As for preference, they should both work equally well, rotor diameter being the main difference and that is only 1/2". The S10 setup does allow for 15" wheels while LS1 require 16"+ wheels.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

If both will fit your wheels, I'd choose the LS1. Bigger dia and thicker rotors. As said, they do require you to fab an e-cable bracket, while the S10 has it built in.

For the spacer, these will work if you very slightly enlarge the ID of the big hole. They are bearing retainers with the GM bolt pattern, and 3/16" thick. I got them from Dutchman, about $10/ea. Or you can make your own, like I did. (these are sitting on my shelf still)

I have GM numbers for most of the parts required for the S10/Blazer conversion, but I'm still missing the Pass Caliper P/N. Does anybody have a GM Part Number for the S10 2WD Passenger Side caliper?

-Ken

I'm partial to the Blazer setup.

Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
      I'm partial to the Blazer setup.
      Because it clears 15" rims? Or another reason(s)?

I know this is an old thread, but I just did the S10 swap on my car. I had a hard time finding a PN for the 2WD rotors even after I went to NAPA and confirmed my application. Rock auto had the wrong PNs as well (showed 2WD and 4WD with the same PN). The correct NAPA PN is 4886725.

You need to specify the 4 door S10 Blazer, the 2 door Blazer has different setup. Ran into this when I did mine.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com