Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New Guy V10 Ghia

Hello everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jamie Walters. I have been building a rather interesting car car about 2 years now. The car is a 1967 vw Karmann Ghia with a Gen 3 viper V10 and 6speed. yes, I know it's not your typical muslce car. But that is the point. I love fast cars and I am not really a purist about any car. I look at them a blank sheet of paper waiting to be draw.
      Thats how the Ghia got started.
      In the last 2 years I have been very blessed to have gathered some 50 sponsors that have put over $100,000 in parts and service in the car. It has gathered interest all over the world...to my suprise, and even been in a few magazines (un finished) like hotrod and Performace VW in the U.K.

If you puch in V10 Ghia or Viper Ghia in a search engine you might find some build pics. \
      Dean Laurent is one of the mad scientist working on this car. He is an extrorinadry Fabricator and it was easy to relay my vision to him.

The car are you may expect is a ground up build. There really isnt allot of the original Ghia left save the body. Every peice of the car was hand made or CNC'd right in Deans shop.

I had the chance to work with one of our sponsors to develop a product that will be going into the ghia and also be released for sale to the aftermarket. The unit is a touch screen that takes the place of all the toggles in a pipical custom build...and does SO much more. I will post about this unit if I can find the proper forum.
      Thats the basics. Thanks for reading.

Welcome and wow! Very nice.
      I like your attitude, exactly like me. Now this interests me.

I did a search, is this it? http://slammedsixty.blogspot.com/2009/12/v10-ghia.html if so then holy crap
      you have other aircooled VW's?

welcome & that is a sweet build
      Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Nick F40 View Post
      Welcome and wow! Very nice.
      I like your attitude, exactly like me. Now this interests me.

I did a search, is this it? http://slammedsixty.blogspot.com/2009/12/v10-ghia.html if so then holy crap
      you have other aircooled VW's?
      To be honest, no I am really a hot rod/ custom guy. Love little cars with big motors. Thanks for checking it out. I have tried to post pics but I think my threads were to big and it logged me off before I had time to post.

O.K lets try this again. Here are some pics for you guys to check out on the car.

This is how it all started. It looks rough, but the car was very very solid and had never seen damage.

After we got it to the shop we fastened it to the chassis table and started some serious cutting so we could fit the wheel and engine in place.
      This set the stage for the build and really put a fire in us.

As thing progressed we started to mock up the front chassis and suspension.

All the suspension components were desgined and CNC'd in house at Deanz Rodz in IL.
      Here soe, shots of the front ansuspesnion and Rear IRS lower arms and Carriers, as well of the center section being machined.
      There A-arms and carriers are machined from Fortal aluminum and the rear carrier was machiend form a huge peice (350lbs)
      of forged aluminum.

Beacause we needed as much room as possible it was nessasry to move some of the engine components. To do this we had to make a new thermostate hosing and a new powersteering resovior. Here are a few pics.

The Chassis was also a very big challenge do the fact that the viper engine's oil pan was flat on the bottom. Because there was no kick up as you might find in a typical Small block or big bigblock it was difficult to find a solution for a cross member. We ened up moving it just forward of the engine. The chassie is fabricated form 2x4 tube.

The engine underwnet some serious changes. The Gen 3 V10 was basicially a new engine with less than 500 miles on it. It belonged to one of our sponsors that had it set aside for their race team. Here is a run down and some pics.

Gen 3 V10- Compcams Custom grind cam
      Compcams double roller chain
      Rolling Thinderz stage 2 head porting
      Compcams Stainless valves and titanium retainers
      Crane Cams Shaft mount roller rockers
      Chrysler specialites extreme street ECM tune
      Extrudabody Billet fuel rails
      X-metal big mouth Billet throttle body
      X-metal Solid Billet valve covers
      Stainless Header MFG custom 1-5/8 headers
      Stainless headers MFG custom 3" exhaust and flow through mufflers
      HotWire custom engine wiring harness
      Fuel lad Technoligies digital fuel system
      Deanz Custom billet Therm state housing
      Deanz custom billet power steering housing and fitting
      MMS& Accsessories stainless hardware and fasterners
      Professional products Powerforce Plus SFI approved Damper
      March Billet Pulleys
      Professional Products billet Oil filter
      Bonaco race fittings and stainless hoses
      Royal purple fluids
      Trans------Gen 3 viper 6 speed trans
      Rockland Stndard Gear Tranzilla JR race prep
      Quick time SFI billet bell housing
      Ram dual clutch and Hydraulic bearing
      B&M short shifter
      Royal purple fluids

Some of the item were not installed at the time of the pics.

The interior of the car is truly small. But we managed to get enough room to fit Deanz 6.2 frame in there and be fairly comforatble. Being that I am only 5.7 the car should be fine for just about any average person.
      As you can see in the pic the tine has been cut, the new made dash is in and the trans tunnle is made.
      In one of the pics you can see the unique bell crank pedal system dean desgined so we could mount all the power brake items and hydralic clutch setup under the dash. This was done to keep the engine bay clean and un cluttered.

The headers for this ride are custom as you can see in the pics above. On a build like this you usually have to take the car to a header shop and leave it with them while they mock them up etc.. But our header and exhaust sponsor has a truly uniqe and exciting way to make this process easier. They send you a mock up kit that you assyemble the way YOU want it and then send the mock up back to them for fab. This means you can design you own header in your shop. Your imagination is the limit. Check out the pics.

The Rear of the car is were the 1600cc engine use to be. There was allot of thinking need to fit everyhting in that little space. But it came together nicly. Here you can see the rear frame section and the shot of the finished tin work and under the rear were the body waas boxed in for strength.

Here is a shot of the digital fuel system

Last week Kyron plating in OH. sent us back the first lot of item they are going for the Ghia. They turned out awsome, it's no wonder they are one of the best in the country. The chrome and purple really make a cool contrast and should add some pop to the engine bay.
      Every item you see here was custom fabricated.

I think the one of the best things to come from this build is some very cool product development. The product is electronic in nature and is something everyone in the forum would likley be interested in,....however in oder to follow the regulations on the forum I will not post anything about the product unitl I can gain access to the "New products" page and do so there. I will link post a link here once I do.
      Thanks for looking and reading this whole rant. Hope you enjoyed it. More to come soon.

Hey Jamie,

I'm glad you decided to load up some pictures and introduce your car here.

I knew a bunch of the guys would like to see it!

Welcome to the site!!
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Very very cool build! A good friend of mine has a Ghia. Other than paint, it's stock. He's had it since we were in HS. I'm sure he'd love to trade that 3hp or so (OK, kidding a little - it makes slightly more than 3hp) for your finished product!
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      Hey Jamie,

I'm glad you decided to load up some pictures and introduce your car here.

I knew a bunch of the guys would like to see it!

Welcome to the site!!

Hi Ray, looks like a cool site. Your right, I am sure the build will be well recived here and so will the Product we are developing. Atlease your not the only VW here now lol. Cheers man.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      Very very cool build! A good friend of mine has a Ghia. Other than paint, it's stock. He's had it since we were in HS. I'm sure he'd love to trade that 3hp or so (OK, kidding a little - it makes slightly more than 3hp) for your finished product!
      Thanks for the comments. Yes I think the stock VW made maybe 50hp and had a 1600cc engine. Now it makes 650 hp and has a 8300cc engine.

Country Flag: Iceland

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast