Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Vintage Air Frontrunner 3-wire alternator questions

I'll be purchasing and installing a Vintage Air Frontrunner system soon for a SBC and would prefer using a 3-wire alternator instead of the 1-wire. This will be an ISIS electrical system with the battery in the trunk. One ISIS Powercell will be mounted on the core support, one inside a custom console near the dash, and one in the trunk. The Powercells act as distribution blocks with built in switching that acts like relays with less resistance.

I'm looking for advice / answers to the following:

• Does VA offer a 3-wire alternator option?
      • If not, are there aftermarket 3-wire alternators I can easily use in place of the VA one?
      • Can I run the voltage sense wire all the way back to the battery in the trunk without issues? I want to do this because with ISIS I won't likely be using a power distribution block in the engine compartment, and therefore my battery, or a distribution block next to it, will serve to distribute power.

Why use a 3-wire alternator? It seems to me the advice on Mad Electrical's website is sound, where the 3-wire alternator will help maintain a higher voltage in the entire system, justifying the extra labor required to install it.
      Last edited by Turbo67camaro; 09-10-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Add info on location of Powercells
      Mike

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com