Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

firewall smoothing question

I've got a kinda general question about firewall smoothing...
      I had my body work done about 2 years ago, and needless to say, due to my budget and being a student at the time, I wasn't able to afford everything that I wanted at once. My car is almost driving, but I can't help but look at my firewall and wish I could have had it done. Considering the amount I've spent on my car, I feel like I HAVE to do this the right way.
      So how hard is that going to be to have my firewall smoothed after the car is running? I realize I'll have to pull the front end and motor, but that's fine. And if anybody has any suggestions as for a good shop that can do it in California (northern OR southern), I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ill steez View Post
      I've got a kinda general question about firewall smoothing...
      I had my body work done about 2 years ago, and needless to say, due to my budget and being a student at the time, I wasn't able to afford everything that I wanted at once. My car is almost driving, but I can't help but look at my firewall and wish I could have had it done. Considering the amount I've spent on my car, I feel like I HAVE to do this the right way.
      So how hard is that going to be to have my firewall smoothed after the car is running? I realize I'll have to pull the front end and motor, but that's fine. And if anybody has any suggestions as for a good shop that can do it in California (northern OR southern), I'd appreciate it.
      I know this is an older thread but did you get an answer? I'm in the same boat right now...

TIA
      Matt

depending on your car, plates can be purchased and welding in place, or even put on with adhesive. Then its a matter of blending in the surrounding areas.
      2005 CBR 1000RR..."mostly stock".
      1968 camaro... "in the works".

dont do it!!!!!!!!

if you are that close..
      just DRIVE IT!

Country Flag: United States
      I have seen pictures where some folks who have put in a sheet of aluminum in and fastened with rivets. Not really my thing, but it is a possibility for an "added after" piece. Just be sure to use some adhesive between the panels so there aren't horrible vibration rattles!
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I smoothed my firewall myself with lots of tips etc. from all these guys here. Check my signature link and I have 3 folders with tons of pics in them on my the process I went through, granted I did a few extra things while I had the front end off but you can get an idea of whats involved.
      I agree with Mr. V, drive it.
      Jeoff J.
      Jeoff J.
      Buffalo, NY
      69 Camaro convertible ~ 350ci. ~ T56

To all u guys with the knowledge.
      My Ride: http://community.webshots.com/user/yukongt

Country Flag: United States
      there is always a cover that can be added over your existing firewall. You don't need to remove your engine. Just your wiper motor and wire gutter loom.
      They make it in black anodized.

There are several places out there that sell these. Here is one to show you what it looks like.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=camaro6769
      67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com