Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

EZ EFI idle drops significantly when in gear...

For argument sake, consider me an idiot...

I had the EZ EFI installed a couple of months ago with great success. The car is drivable and the power is reliable, etc... The last few drives I've taken, however, leave me a little concerned about idle once the car is in gear. Sometimes it drops down to about 450-500 and seems like it may die. I can usually throw it into P or N or simply ride the throttle a little and get it back over the hump. Any suggestions?

Additionally, this has all happened since I disconnected the battery to do some work on the car. Does the ECU reset itself when the battery is disconnected? Could that be the issue?

TIA,
      Matt

Country Flag: United States
      ECU should not "reset" with battery disconnected. The only to do that is with the handheld. I had the same issue whenI stepped on the clutch. I upped the idle from 700-750, readjusted the IAC & TPS per instructions, and now I have no issues. It is worth noting that I have the retrofit kit with a Holley Stealth Ram manifold.

Add a few degrees initial timing.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Thanks for the info - Is there any reason this would happen now? I had no issues at first? Is this as a result of something it has "learned?"

I missed the part where it was running fine for months. Doesn't make any sense unless something was changed. Are the battery leads for the ECU connected direct to battery? The ECU is supposed to hold learning in long term memory unless it's not hooked up properly. Also reduces electrical noise.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Yeah, should be a direct connection as far as I can tell. Kevin McMillan did the install (he's the guy in the Hot Rod Magazine video). He's well versed with this kit. I'm taking it in for a few other issues in the next week or so but I didn't know if anyone else had seen a similar problem that may have a simple solution.

on a slightly related note - are any of you running charcoal canisters for the fuel smell?

Check IAC for function. they can get carboned up. Replace if not sure.

Rob

I'm thinking it just may be a "loose nut behind the wheel" - if you know what I mean. I think I was not letting the car warm up enough. I'm pretty impatient - it's one of the reasons I ditched the carb... I let the car warm up/idle a little longer yesterday without any drama at all. Will report back if I have any issues/solutions. Thanks!

Matt

Idle is still an issue. It died on me in a parking lot in reverse and is unstable at stoplights... I hear that FAST may have had a bad batch of IAC motors? Also, the car started a "whooshing" noise about the same time as the idle went crazy...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by intofx View Post
      Idle is still an issue. It died on me in a parking lot in reverse and is unstable at stoplights... I hear that FAST may have had a bad batch of IAC motors? Also, the car started a "whooshing" noise about the same time as the idle went crazy...

Matt
      hook the handheld up and log live data. Find the screen that shows IAC counts and see what's happening to the counts as the idle struggles. "0" is completely closed and "180" is fully opened. Id be curious to see if it's moving towards 180 as the idle speed drops or if it even tries to move to stabilize the idle speed.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com