Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Garage Storage: Hanging a shelf from the ceiling

I need some ideas on how I should hang a 2x6' or 2x8' shelf from the ceiling here in my garage. I have plenty of studs in the ceiling to attach to. The other 2 walls are concrete and I do not want to drill or nail into them.

What's the best way to hang a shelf from above only? I have a couple ideas but want to see what methods other folks have used. TIA.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Your ceiling joist are rated for only so much of a load. First thing you need to consider is how much weight you are going to add to that load. If it was me, I would drill and epoxy all threads in the concrete. Use 1/2"x6" all threads staggered 16" on center. Embed all thread a minimum of 3" into concrete wall. Use 5/8' diameter roto-hammer bit, drill hole, clean dust out of holes with air compressor and 5/8" diameter circular wire brush. Insert Simpson ET22 epoxy into hole. Then insert all thread.

I know this isn't what you want to do, but its definitely the right way to go.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

For certain reasons I do not much faith in the foundation.. There are spots with hairline cracks on other walls (not in that area) and I don't feel good about potentially starting new cracks.

I guess the load would be 2-300lbs tops.

what if you used some industrial type epoxy to "bond" to the wall instead of drilling or whatever.. it might not be as strong as screws but it might help hold some of the load..

I would use the walls. hanging from the ceiling, you would need a cradling brace or similar to transfer the load to the top of the joists. if the load is hanging from a screw or similar, that's ok for hangers for bikes, ladders, but not heavy stuff.
      I would stick to the walls:
      Get the expansive lead slugs with lag bolts, they can hold a lot of weight if the wall is solid.
      There is no way they can pull out, only if the concrete splits.
      If you install adjustable shelving with vertical splines, you will have 3-4 anchor points for each spline, the limitation will be your shelving material.

I have put 4x4's across the beams in the attic and sent all thread through the ceiling then through the 4x4 beams with nuts and large washers.

I wouldn't put engine parts up there but it has held our Christmas stuff up there for years.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

You can get some long threaded rods fro HD or Lowes, and like someone else said used boards across your ceiling joists (2x4's would work fine) and drill holes through them and the ceiling. Thread the rods through the ceiling and boards and use some washers and nuts at the top....then put the rods through the board(shelf) along with washers and nuts at the bottom. (4 rods-one in each corner)

I had a set of shelves like this in my garage that I built (4 shelves on 4 threaded rods) and it it held around 30 gallons of paint and supplies. I ended up getting rid of it because it swayed a bit whenever we put on or took something off. BUT if you don't want to go into the walls or have standing shelves it is your best option.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

^ I was thinking of using threaded rods, but I dont have access to the joists.

This is mainly for car part storage.. fairly light stuff.. no heads or heavy engine parts. I'm going to try and spread the load using 2x4's attached to the ceiling frame and brackets that are used for garage doors.

I figure it the ceiling can hold garage doors that weigh (200lbs??), it should be able to hold a 2x6 or 2x8 load of parts.

I have built a couple of hanging platforms using Unistrut that I lag bolted to joist and threaded rod to hang the platform from. The unistrut allows for some adjustability and spreads the load over multiple joist.

Home Depot has the Unistrut and the fittings in the Electrical section.

I can post pics if you want to see it.

For light stuff you can use a 3/8" lag stud (wood lag with a 3/8-16 stud end instead of a bolt head, google "lag stud").
      Attach a threaded rod coupling (google "coupling nut")to the lag and hang 3/8" threaded rod from it as long as you want the drop from the ceiling. Then through bolt your shelf with the threaded rod.
      All available from the orange box.

Good luck,
      Dan

Good idea's there...

Quote Originally Posted by Droolsport View Post
      I have built a couple of hanging platforms using Unistrut that I lag bolted to joist and threaded rod to hang the platform from. The unistrut allows for some adjustability and spreads the load over multiple joist.

Home Depot has the Unistrut and the fittings in the Electrical section.

I can post pics if you want to see it.
      Yes if you could, that'd be great.

Here's what I'm thinking too.. invert these:

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com