Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 1987 Monte Carlo SS project.

I've had so many new builds that I finally decided to hit up some old school cars. It's amazing (to me) to think that I was 4 years old when this car rolled off the assembly line.

After searching for almost a year I found my gem. I wanted a hardtop Monte Carlo, with low chassis mileage, extremely clean interior, straight body and frame, floor shifter, manual windows/locks, and something bigger than the stock 305.

I fly out on June 26th and am driving the beast home. Here is what I found. The restoration was completed in the fall of 2008. The car has a brand new GM ZZ4 crate engine with everything replaced from the radiator to the cowl. Rebuilt transmisison, new drive shaft, 3.73 posi, new springs/shocks, upper and lower control arms, etc. Even the original SS wheels were restored and refinished. Basically, everything mechanical has been completed. Only 1400 miles have been added since then. The only thing that wasn't touched was the paint. The current owner said the ONLY issues are some tree sap stains on the hood that may come out with a detail. He also said there is minor checkering (not peeling or flaking) of the paint near the passenger side quarter window. My plan would be for new paint in a year or two. If the stain doesn't come out of the hood I'll end up getting a new hood anyways.

I do have a few questions for you guys. What would be a decent suspension setup for this vehicle? Hotchkis? I don't have a monster budget, but I'd like it to handle pretty well. I also have no idea what size wheels and tires I can get in there. I'd absolutely love to have an 18"/19" combo if possible. Is there a way to fit 300+ tire without a minitub? What about wheel offsets?

Here are some pictures of what I am working with. Forgive me as these pictures are what the current owner sent me. My future plans are to remove the ZZ4 and plop in an 376ci carb'd LSX motor and possibly a blow through setup.

I'll get better pictures when I pick up the car if anyone is interested.

Here are some of the stances that I like. I would just prefer a different rim choice.

Thanks for the help!

John

I like these wheels, but I've never seen them mounted on a car.

They come in sizes of either 18" or 20".

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels.php?item=HR1

Country Flag: Canada
      Congrats on the purchase
      I've always loved the G body cars. Had a 85 cutlass supreme 2dr...it was one of the coolest cars i have owned.

I have only seen the HR-1 wheel on a sn95 mustang and it looked mean as hell. One of my buddies had monte SS with 17's and the stance was near perfect. I'd imagine the Hr1's in 18 should look good mounted. Pm me regarding rim choices

YES!!!! Another SS! lol. Welcome man. I'm subscribed to this one.
      Andy McCatherine

1982 Monte Carlo SS (clone)

Thanks guys!

Does anyone have a guess as to what size wheels are on that purple and black Monte? 17s or 18s?

18x6 in the front and 20x16 in the rear? That would be so awesome if I could make it work!

Alright, I just figured out that those wheels on the black Monte are 18s.

So, 20s would fit fine from what it appears... now whether it's possible to get a 16" wide wheel in the rear without major modifications is a different story.

I would give Marcus @ SC&C a call. he can help you find a suspension to fit what you're looking for.

are you serious about the 20x16? you'd need a complete back-half and full tubs to make it work unless they're going to stick out 4 inches.
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

Congrats! Keep us posted!!

The purple car has 17's on it. The largest you can fit in the rear are 9.5" without any modification.
      Andy McCatherine

I love Monte SS's. I almost made an 88 my first car when I was 16 but it was already sold... Looks like nice paint on that bad boy!

glad to see another gbody around. good luck with everything man this should work out to be a sweet build

83 Cutlass 96 LT1, 52mm TB, Electric WP,TH350, Hotchkis sways front/rear poly bushings 8.5 10 bolt 3.73's posi, boxed adjust rear arms, dual cat-back exhaust 2.5" x-pipe 40series
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2540200

Looking forward to the future of this project also!

Projects liek these are what keep me going on mine!
      1985 Monte Carlo SS- 224/228 cammed 5.3/4L80E/17x9.5 Budnik Tiller 5s/BFG Comp T/As
      2007 2500HD Silverado CCSB Duramax- 18" KMC HOSS, 285s
      2006 Corvette Coupe- Black/LS2/M6/3LT/Corsa/Callaway MP112/Nitto Invos SOLD
      2002 Sierra Denali Quadrateer-
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
      I would give Marcus @ SC&C a call. he can help you find a suspension to fit what you're looking for.

are you serious about the 20x16? you'd need a complete back-half and full tubs to make it work unless they're going to stick out 4 inches.
      My plan was to complete the motor work and then have a mini tub done in the rear with a Moser M9 axle. Looks like it would cost a small fortune for that.

I may just end up going with a different wheel choice. I don't want to run the stock suspension at all. I will most likely get an 18x8 up front and either a 19x10 or 20x10 for the rear. Not sure which route to take for the rear. I do like staggered wheel stances. I just need to make sure I leave room for a slightly lower suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by montessaj View Post
      The purple car has 17's on it. The largest you can fit in the rear are 9.5" without any modification.
      So, a 10" wide wheel is out of the question? Damn... this is really taking the wind out of my sails!

I forgot to mention I did some reading on the ZZ4. It sounds like a half way decent crate motor for what it is. Looks like the head are the choking point. I did find a Whipple for the ZZ4 which is $2,995 for that draw through setup. It doesn't look half bad and would make plenty of power.

Thoughts on this blower?

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1171

Nice Monte! it is a very clean car, just a few tweaks and you'll be really enjoying it.
      As mentioned before, contact Marcus at SC&C, some of the goodies I have put on mine are the front triangulated frame reinforcement, and a Lee Performance steering box, i'd recommed both mods highly.

Others I would recommend is their Street Comp level 2 front end upgrade, and Currie rear LCA/UCA setup.
      There is still a lot more you can do, the limiting factor being budget.

I have some 17x9.5 with Nitto 285/40/17 on the rear on mine, and they are a very tight fit.
      I believe Minotaur has almost the same setup, and is swapping out for something larger (?).
      To go wider you would need a frame notch and possible mini-tub depending on how much space you want. You can fit a 9.5 wheel on the front 5.0" bs, you just cannot slam it unless you make some custom front inner fender wells, and you find some rubbing on the sway bar at full turn.

The easy option is an 8" wheel on the front 4.5" bs, with a 245/45/17.
      The rear a 9.5 w 5.0" bs is usually a good choice if you run a 275/40/17, I mounted 285/40/17 and added 5/16" spacers on both rear wheels, a rear disc upgrade later could make the spacers obsolete. Rolling the rear fenders is a good idea if you lower the car.

Give Marcus a call, he will give you a whole bunch more ideas regarding suspension.
      The 'candy' store: http://www.scandc.com/suspensions.htm

If you swap heads, add roller rockers, and add the hot cam, the zz4 puts out around 425 hp, I assume you are looking for something a little wilder though...

Here is mine with Nitto 255/45/17, 285/40/17, on Centerline Retro's 17x8 4.5" bs, 17x9.5 5" bs (additional lowering coming this summer)
      HTH
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Small Block LSX View Post
      So, a 10" wide wheel is out of the question? Damn... this is really taking the wind out of my sails!
      Small BLock, if you do a frame notch and small mini tub, then 10's even 11's are doable, but with factory tubs and frame it just wont happen without sticking out or rubbing. 9.5" wheels are the way to go if you ask me, 5" backspacing is what you need on those.

Keep at it!
      Andy McCatherine

Quote Originally Posted by mc84_zz4 View Post
      Nice Monte! it is a very clean car, just a few tweaks and you'll be really enjoying it.
      As mentioned before, contact Marcus at SC&C, some of the goodies I have put on mine are the front triangulated frame reinforcement, and a Lee Performance steering box, i'd recommed both mods highly.

Others I would recommend is their Street Comp level 2 front end upgrade, and Currie rear LCA/UCA setup.
      There is still a lot more you can do, the limiting factor being budget.

I have some 17x9.5 with Nitto 285/40/17 on the rear on mine, and they are a very tight fit.
      I believe Minotaur has almost the same setup, and is swapping out for something larger (?).
      To go wider you would need a frame notch and possible mini-tub depending on how much space you want. You can fit a 9.5 wheel on the front 5.0" bs, you just cannot slam it unless you make some custom front inner fender wells, and you find some rubbing on the sway bar at full turn.

The easy option is an 8" wheel on the front 4.5" bs, with a 245/45/17.
      The rear a 9.5 w 5.0" bs is usually a good choice if you run a 275/40/17, I mounted 285/40/17 and added 5/16" spacers on both rear wheels, a rear disc upgrade later could make the spacers obsolete. Rolling the rear fenders is a good idea if you lower the car.

Give Marcus a call, he will give you a whole bunch more ideas regarding suspension.
      The 'candy' store: http://www.scandc.com/suspensions.htm

If you swap heads, add roller rockers, and add the hot cam, the zz4 puts out around 425 hp, I assume you are looking for something a little wilder though...

Here is mine with Nitto 255/45/17, 285/40/17, on Centerline Retro's 17x8 4.5" bs, 17x9.5 5" bs (additional lowering coming this summer)
      HTH
      Great information! Thank you so much!

I am positive that I will be doing 18x8" wheels in the front and either 19x9.5 or 20x9.5 in the rear. Would be nice to get a 10" wide wheel, but you said it's not possible without additional work, right?

Your car looks great! I am just having bigger wheels and would want the car to sit a bit lower. I'm going for more of a Pro-Touring look. Once I get the car and drive it I will give Marcus a call and see what options are best to get started.

What mirrors are on your car? They look like Buick mirrors. Where did you pick those up at?

Quote Originally Posted by montessaj View Post
      Small BLock, if you do a frame notch and small mini tub, then 10's even 11's are doable, but with factory tubs and frame it just wont happen without sticking out or rubbing. 9.5" wheels are the way to go if you ask me, 5" backspacing is what you need on those.

Keep at it!
      Thanks!

I wouldn't rule out a minitub in the future, but for now that money can be allocated to a different area of the car. I am so excited for this build. I went "overboard" for my wife's birthday this year. That way when I'm ordering parts all summer I won't feel as guilty and she may stay off my back for a few extra months.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Block LSX View Post
      Thanks!

I wouldn't rule out a minitub in the future, but for now that money can be allocated to a different area of the car. I am so excited for this build. I went "overboard" for my wife's birthday this year. That way when I'm ordering parts all summer I won't feel as guilty and she may stay off my back for a few extra months.
      Thats the ticket! I hope to see progress on this car soon.
      Andy McCatherine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com