Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Let Me Hear Your Old School Car Tricks

I am a fairly young guy so I never had to work on cars during the days without the giant,one stop shop,ship next day, just pick it out of a catalog parts store. If I want a cam with more lift I just get on the web and find it. I don't have to go to a junk yard and find a station wagon or try to find a wrecked corvette. If I want to cut my rear end down and need shorter axles I just pick up my phone and order some. I don't have to find two 4x4s and get the short axle from the front differentials.
      But, hearing my old man and his dad talk about the old days of racing and their tricks got me thinking what other cool tricks are out there. Let me know what you guys got........... Let it be known posting on this thread does not make you old.......just knowledgeable...... yeah knowledgeable.

Zach Daniel

1970 Pontiac Firebird work in progress

Country Flag: United States
      You mean like using a 8 3/4 axle out of a 340 Duster in a 66/67 Box Nova cause it is damn near a bolt in, and a 12 bolt for a box Nova is rarer than a Harley Biker Dude at the Ballet?
      Stay in it till you see God....then lift

Where patience fails, force prevails

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat." G. Carlin

Stapp's Ironical Paradox...... "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Lots should be posted on this!
      Let's see, for me it isn't because I'm old, just tight! Lol.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
      You mean like using a 8 3/4 axle out of a 340 Duster in a 66/67 Box Nova cause it is damn near a bolt in, and a 12 bolt for a box Nova is rarer than a Harley Biker Dude at the Ballet?
      Since we're mentioning rear axles....a 9" rear comes in some of the Ford Granadas that is a decent length for many cars...I used one under an S-10...just had to cut off the Ford spring perches and weld back on the Chevy stuff in the right location for the leaf springs. In return I got larger drum brakes than the S-10 came with and a sturdy gear set up that my little 350 wouldn't break.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Oh here is another one I heard. If you have a valve stem seal that is leaking and your in the middle of a race or you are just to lazy to pull the head. You can retro fit an air fitting to a spark plug and fill the cylinder with enough pressure to keep the valve in place while you replace the seal. Other wise the valve will fall into the cylinder when you remove the spring and locks.
      Zach Daniel

Don't know if you consider it old school.
      Poor mans ignition retard.
      Put a 5 pin HEI ignition module in place of a standard 4 pin and run the extra pin to a switch then to ground and when you close the switch it gives you 6° of retard.
      Sean

The difference between stupidity and genius.... genius has limits

Quote Originally Posted by LSx_88_Ciera View Post
      Don't know if you consider it old school.
      Poor mans ignition retard.
      Put a 5 pin HEI ignition module in place of a standard 4 pin and run the extra pin to a switch then to ground and when you close the switch it gives you 6° of retard.
      Hum I haven't heard that one.

A guy I bought a firebird from a few years a go told he would plumb the windshield washer spray into the carb and fill it with liqud nitrous and spray as they drag raced. Everyone would claim they were spraying but nobody could find the bottle. I don't know if that's true but it sounds like it could work.
      Zach Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by 70fireturd View Post
      Oh here is another one I heard. If you have a valve stem seal that is leaking and your in the middle of a race or you are just to lazy to pull the head. You can retro fit an air fitting to a spark plug and fill the cylinder with enough pressure to keep the valve in place while you replace the seal. Other wise the valve will fall into the cylinder when you remove the spring and locks.
      Here's the cheater way to do this that can come in handy if you don't have compressed air.
      Let the engine cool down. Remove rocker arms on the cylinder you're working on...so you don't bend a valve. Hand-rotate the crank (with a wrench on the crank) the get the piston to BDC. Pull the spark plug. Feed a few feet of rope (preferable nylon ski rope or something that won't compress too much) into the cylinder through the spark plug hole...leaving at least a foot of rope hanging out. Hand-rotate the crank to move the piston upwards...pushing the rope up against the valves. Replace the valve springs, locks, and keepers. The valve won't fall into the cylinder. By hand, rotate the crank in reverse to lower the piston. Pull the rope out, install the spark plug and rocker arms and you're ready to go.

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by 70fireturd View Post
      Hum I haven't heard that one.

A guy I bought a firebird from a few years a go told he would plumb the windshield washer spray into the carb and fill it with liqud nitrous and spray as they drag raced. Everyone would claim they were spraying but nobody could find the bottle. I don't know if that's true but it sounds like it could work.
      He lied for nitrous oxide to be in a liquid state it has to be under a pressure that is much higher than what a windshield washer system can handle or be below -88.48°C (boiling point)
      I always get a laugh when someone states something like that.
      Sean

Can't let this thread go without at least one Smokey Yunick trick. I especially like his basket ball inside a oversized gas tank trick. Judges think the gas tank is full and then right before the race starts deflate the basket ball and top her off. Does anyone remember any other of Smokies' tricks? Im blanking on his others....... Come on Pontiac guys lets honor a legend.
      Zach Daniel

Smokey's reverse rotation engine ran for one race then NASCAR outlawed it. Gave him an advantage off the corner cause torque shifted weight toward the inside tire instead of the outside tire.
      Sean

Didn't know about smokeys engine....interesting!
      On the valve with a rope, just remember to pull the rope out...had a buddy that forgot that! Lol. Never heard of the HEI trick either, pretty cool.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      Since we're mentioning rear axles....a 9" rear comes in some of the Ford Granadas that is a decent length for many cars....
      And don't forget, the dressed up brother to the Granada, the Lincoln Versailles had disc brakes on 9" that are basically bolt ins.

the washer fluid in to the carb was either water/methanol mix or simply washer fluid. both helped atomize the gasoline and increase octane level. the atomization is not need for FI engines as it is does so under the high pressures of the system.

12 bolt center section into a 10 bolt housing with a little finessing the case. old trick used in Cheater Stock Drag Racing

some old racers used to have fuel in the roll cages. would flip a switch or activation device and let the fuel flow into the tank.

noisy rear end...Saw dust or banana peels. not kidding on the monkey treat.

My Dad used to put mothballs in a gallon of fuel and after a few days strain it out and put it in the washer fluid. Then run the washer fluid lines to the air cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      And don't forget, the dressed up brother to the Granada, the Lincoln Versailles had disc brakes on 9" that are basically bolt ins.
      I was gonna mention that one...but I had a hard time finding one of the calipers....you could still get plenty of one side, but the parts places never had any of the opposite side in stock, it was always on back order for some reason....maybe that has changed?

...Oh and the Versailles was 31 spline vs the 28 spline in the Granada....a tad stronger.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Black pepper in the rad stops small leaks.

Not for the faint of heart but if you have a carbureted engine and are experiencing a lot of pinging you may have carbon build up. The old school way to clean it was with a shorty Coke bottle full of water and a friend. Friend holds the throttle at 2000 RPM while you trickle the water in the primary on the carb. The result was an internal steam cleaning of the engine. Then you found a sucker to stand behind the car as you racked it off a couple of times. That kind of black stuff doesn't wash out.

Oh, this one I still use. Got a nut that you want to thread on a bolt you can't reach? If you can reach it with a shorty socket and an extension, pack that socket full of grease to hold the nut in place. That has helped me more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
      Not for the faint of heart but if you have a carbureted engine and are experiencing a lot of pinging you may have carbon build up. The old school way to clean it was with a shorty Coke bottle full of water and a friend. Friend holds the throttle at 2000 RPM while you trickle the water in the primary on the carb. The result was an internal steam cleaning of the engine. Then you found a sucker to stand behind the car as you racked it off a couple of times. That kind of black stuff doesn't wash out.
      We use automatic transmission fluid. Makes a HUGE smoke cloud, cleans it right out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com