Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Touring 69 Pontiac Firebird

Project DEATH MACHINE

Greetings ladies and gents,

I re-built a '69 bird back in high school and drive it all the way through college until someone rear-ended me coming back from a job interview (see below). Since then, I've lived in apartments all over the world and have finally settled down into a house. I managed to snag a 69 firebird shell on ebay that was already painted and came with a lot of extra parts. I just got the black one delivered to my house last week and will retrieve the restored/wrecked one from West TX in a few weeks. It shouldn't be a big deal to move all the necessary interior pieces from the old car into the new one.

Here's a list of parts that were included with the sale of the black one. I think I got my money's worth

Detroit Speed and Engineering mini tub kit
      DS&E rear leaf springs 2” lower than stock
      DS&E stainless steel gas tank.
      DS&E weld in sub frame connectors.
      DS&E 7 speed wind shield wiper motor (all wired and installed with factory knob)
      Hotchkis front coil springs, sway bar (front and rear) 2" lower
      All new shocks.
      Rear disc brakes
      Currie Ford 9”with 3.73 posi rearend, (disc brakes and narrowed 2” on each side. )
      1969 Trans Am rear spoiler
      Painless wiring kit.
      Power window and locks with two remotes
      Dakota digital dash.
      All AC under the dash is done (Vintage Air - doesn't have connections through firewall though)
      New dash pad and face.
      New Headliner
      New front windshield all other glass is perfect.
      All interior and exterior paint is done, body is near flawless.
      Magnaflow exhaust (seemingly full system)
      Stock firewall removed and smooth plate welded in.
      Also included was a Pontiac 400 engine with ceramic coated headers, but won't be used in the build.

I'm looking at putting in an LS2 with a T-56 6-speed. I was originally thinking about an automatic but I prefer the control of the manual. With the mini-tub, I plan on running approximately a 10 or 11" tire in the back and as wide as I can fit in the front and still be tucked in. I'm thinking about a 17"/18" combo, but that's for a little bit later.

So, I'm scrounging ebay, CL, all the usual places for LS2's and there seem to be different varieties. I've also done some extensive searching in the threads here - this site is fantastic!

So, my first question (hopefully I can get some of them answered here so I don't have to litter the other forums with duplicity) is what model LS2 should I be looking at? I currently have the stock spindles and sub-frame in the front (might be changing the spindles later though depending on what discs they work with). It appears that some LS2's have different configurations of the alternator and A/C compressor. Should I try to stick with a particular make a model (GTO vs Vette vs whatever) to accomodate the fitment and aftermarket A/C compressor required for the Vintage Air system? (Should I consider LS6's for the same amount of power?) I'll also be running headers later so they'll have to clear the stock gear box unless I convert to a rack and pinion setup.

It looks like I can get a used combo for around $5-$6k on ebay - if someone has a reference for a better place to procure one though, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the replies and I'm glad I stumbled upon this site some time ago. Keep up the good work. And now...for the goods...

New:

Wrecked:

the black bird looks great. but id rather have the convertible. i have a 69 t/a convert. i love it and cringed when i looked at the photos. i would not part it out and junk it. everything can be fixed,i have fixed worse.atleast save the tags for a new shell someday. everything on the birds are the same as camaros,so whatever there doing to 69 camaros on this site is the same as what you can do

Nice Project! I'm not sure about the differences in LS engines, but if you want to pick something up for a reasonable price, check out the parts for sale section on Lateral-g. There's a place called Cleveland pick-a-part that advertises on there all the time. Seems like some pretty good deals.

For front disc brakes, I know that there is a way to fit C5/C6 vette brakes on. Check out Kore3.com. They have conversion brackets or the whole setup.
      Joe M
      '67 Firebird

My build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...irth&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by chevnut55 View Post
      the black bird looks great. but id rather have the convertible. i have a 69 t/a convert. i love it and cringed when i looked at the photos. i would not part it out and junk it. everything can be fixed,i have fixed worse.atleast save the tags for a new shell someday. everything on the birds are the same as camaros,so whatever there doing to 69 camaros on this site is the same as what you can do
      That photo doesn't really show the extent of the damage. Yes, it could probably be fixed, but I don't really have the means to take on a project of that magnitude. It's a little bit worse on the passenger side, as the rear of the body was rotated forward a good six inches into the doors, so the entire sub-frame is fubared. I'll be moving a lot of the trim pieces over to the new machine and the parts that I can't I'll be sending to good homes. I think the drive shaft was even pushed into the TH400 upon impact.

The convertible was okay, but I didn't really use it enough to justify it. Plus, it was super loud going down the highway. I'm ready for a coupe

I'll check out the brake kits. Thanks. Always good to see other first gen firebird enthusiasts.

you parting out the convt? i am looking for the metal area around the radio as mine was cut out.

Yes, I'll be partially parting out the firebird, but probably only after I've finished moving everything I need into the black one. That may be a month or two away.

Nah, it was some douche in a Ford Ranger with a grill guard :\

The black one's looking sweet already. More firebirds, this is crazy how many are on here lately
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Great start for the project. I too have a 69 T/A vert. Looks like all the hard work is done and now you get to do the fun stuff. Here is my thread for my build www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31227. That looks like a Texas plate on the convertible, is that right?

Good luck with the build and the guys here at Pro-touring are the best at helping with your questions.

Sam
      Last edited by SamHatco; 05-20-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: sp
      69 Firebird convertible T/A pro-touring custom, Now LS1/T56 six speed, 3:42 Eaton posi, 18" Iforged wheels, 04 GTO interior.
      www.fquick.com/SamHatco
      Jack of all trades, master of none.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHatco View Post
      Great start for the project. I too have a 69 T/A vert. Looks like all the hard work is done and now you get to do the fun stuff. Here is my thread for my build www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31227. That looks like a Texas plate on the convertible, is that right?

Good luck with the build and the guys here at Pro-touring are the best at helping with your questions.

Sam
      Thanks. I'll check out your project when I get home (pics are blocked from work).

Yes, a lot of the work has already been done. I just didn't feel like doing all that work again since I have already done it once and "paid my dues"...hehe. Plus, I can handle the mechanic stuff but I'm not near as proficient at bodywork activities.

Yeppers, I'm originally from West TX and reside in Houston now. The purple one was originally a Miami car (think painted over ex-rustbucket).

Ok, while waiting for some responses in my wheel and brake threads I thought I'd post a few more photos...

I took the gas tank out a few days back since I wasn't sure if it had a sending unit in it. The car came with a separate sending unit in a box, so I had some reservations about the tank installation.

Turns out, it did! I took it out and then re-installed it to make sure the orientation was correct. I'm guessing this one is from DS&E to match the tank. I'm not sure at this point how the variable amps will mate up to the Dakota Digital gauge, which reads %.

I also found some misc. interior pieces and I'm not exactly sure where they go since I'm a previous convertible owner. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the advice. The long skinny piece is labeled "rear seat" but I couldn't locate where exactly it would go.

Also, it looks like these Thorley headers that came with the car are from a Pontiac 400 which I'll probably be posting in the for sale section. They look pretty stout.

And below is the beast which has been getting neglected partly due to the diverted attention and the ridiculously hot, humid weather:

the top picture is the headliner corner trim. Those go on the inside rear, bottom corners where the glass and sail panels meet. not exactly sure on the long piece, but I wonder if that long piece bolts to the package tray area somehow along the top. I'll have to check mine tonight.

thats a sweet ass bike too.
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

You've got some nice rides there! Hope you keep us updated with more pics as you go along with your build.

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by 68firebird View Post
      the top picture is the headliner corner trim. Those go on the inside rear, bottom corners where the glass and sail panels meet. not exactly sure on the long piece, but I wonder if that long piece bolts to the package tray area somehow along the top. I'll have to check mine tonight.

thats a sweet ass bike too.
      Hey man, did you have a chance to check on that long piece? I tried to mate it up to something on the rear package tray and couldn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
      You've got some nice rides there! Hope you keep us updated with more pics as you go along with your build.
      Will do. Haven't had much time to do anything as of late. I was out of town all weekend.

nice car..

that long piece might be and looks liek the piece along the top of the fire wall that hold part of the wire loom tight against the fire wall above the wiper motor and that stuff.. i have a very similar piece along my camaro
      Last edited by vyking67; 06-07-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: did not submit entire post

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMuseum View Post
      Hey man, did you have a chance to check on that long piece? I tried to mate it up to something on the rear package tray and couldn't find anything.
      no, I actually forgot to look, sorry. I'll check this afternoon. I don't think ts the wire loom for the engine compartment, I think that's a plastic type of piece for that.
      Rene P.

Man, that wrecked pic makes me want to throw up and its not even my car. I don't know what i'd do. Sorry man.

i checked quickly tonight to see where that piece goes and I can't find it at all. its definitely not the wire loom holder though.
      Rene P.

Sweet, thanks for taking interest. I'll try and take some better photos of the cross-section. It has the same curvature as the front edge of the back speaker panel, but I tried to match up the holes with the sheet metal and nothing lined up. But hey, I don't consider a project completed successfully unless I end up with a few extra bolts.

That long piece is the top trim for a fold down rear seat. It goes on the top (leading) edge that would essentially rest against the package tray when the seat is in the 'up' position, which is why it matches as you've found. Do you have a folding rear seat? If not, I don't think you need it.

1969 Firebird, Black, Parchment Arizen interior, Poncho 383 (4" crank), Kauffman heads, TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Wilwoods, DSE, Speed Tech, Koni, Hotchkis, GW, 18" TTI's, VA Gen IV, etc.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com