Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      I had a Gen 7/MSD 6a combo where the 6a box went bad and cooked the cap and rotor. As soon as the system was keyed on without the engine running, spark was being shot to the nearest terminal on the cap. I replaced the MSD box with another MSD box and the problem went away. The Gen7 box never flashed a code?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by DC454 View Post
      I had a Gen 7/MSD 6a combo where the 6a box went bad and cooked the cap and rotor. As soon as the system was keyed on without the engine running, spark was being shot to the nearest terminal on the cap. I replaced the MSD box with another MSD box and the problem went away. The Gen7 box never flashed a code?
      You are giving me hope and scaring the heck out of me at the same time. I probably should be glad the ecu is protecting itself and hope it is doing a good job or it is really a wimpy one and can't take any abuse,lol.

What do you really mean by cooked? Did the rotor get all loose and the cap melt? Did it get all black inside?
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

It would seem to me that the code is telling you exactly whats wrong. The 6A is basically asking the DFI to switch too much current to ground. Do you have access to another msd to test with?
      I ran my Gen 6 system for years with an accel 300+ for years with no trouble. If the MSD is bad, I'd look at at the 300+ as a replacement.

Just to clear something up it is an Accel 6A not a MSD 6A.
      Sean

The difference between stupidity and genius.... genius has limits

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam View Post
      It would seem to me that the code is telling you exactly whats wrong. The 6A is basically asking the DFI to switch too much current to ground. Do you have access to another msd to test with?
      I ran my Gen 6 system for years with an accel 300+ for years with no trouble. If the MSD is bad, I'd look at at the 300+ as a replacement.
      This is an accel 6A box not an MSD.

The thought as of the moment is that the only thing that changed with the new engine is the plug wire routing because of the angle plug heads. The wires are a bit short on a few places and they had to go over the valve cover instead of bhind them like before. So all is not the same in that department.

I am getting the new rotor tomorrow and see if it is the loose rotor causing it, it needed to be replaced anyway and only doing one problem at a time is the only way to ever know which item is giving the problem to trigger the code. Redoing the wires is on the list just for looks but it may be that it is neccessary to fix the problem too.

We will all know how to deal with a code 66 in a few days I hope and keep praying that it isn't the ecu. it will fire up and run but you never know for how long.

I'm getting some sleep and fighting the battle again tomorrow.

Goodnight all

Quote Originally Posted by LSx_88_Ciera View Post
      Just to clear something up it is an Accel 6A not a MSD 6A.
      Glad you said that...I kept getting the MSD box stuck in my head for some reason......
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam View Post
      I have over 2000 miles on mine and had no problems once I finally got it to work until I changed the engine. It is in the ignition somewhere and parts is parts as long as they work. Unfortunately changing the engine actually did change how some of the parts fit, like plug wires.

I'm with you on codes telling you exactly what is wrong but that doesn't tell you what parts to look for and if Accel had told me it was the ignition box and coil at first I would not have spent time hunting other problems I had already solved as if something went wrong with them and was on the edge.

Now that I know what the deal with the code is the only thing to hope for is that the ecu is not harmed because of cranking on it to see if the things I was trying were the problem. It is going to something simple and that is frustrating when you just got done spending money on parts, good thing is we can all use a backup 6A box because they sound like they can go bad in a heartbeat for no apparent reason.
      Last edited by Jim Nilsen; 05-12-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nilsen View Post
      You are giving me hope and scaring the heck out of me at the same time. I probably should be glad the ecu is protecting itself and hope it is doing a good job or it is really a wimpy one and can't take any abuse,lol.

What do you really mean by cooked? Did the rotor get all loose and the cap melt? Did it get all black inside?
      The tip of the rotor melted off. I swap out the MSD 6a box out for a new one and never had a problem since. That was 5 or 6 years ago.

I thought it might be good to go for 20 seconds and then it code 66'ed again.

The new rotor fit better and step 1 is done, now it is on to step 2 to straighten out the plug wires to be all nice and neat. they are Taylor Thundervolt 8.2 wires and it is doubtful that they are the problem but you never know till you try.

The builder talked to Accel earlier today and the concensus was that I had already took out the ecu.

I was planning on going to a couple of car shows this weekend and now it is probably not going to happen.

I don't know how to feel about this anymore, I want to kick the ass of the sob that can't do his job and ask questions to the engineeers when he doesn't have the right answer. A stupid idiot that is subfunctionally retarded would be able to give someone more help by directing them to someone who could. It is a good thing the man is miles away from me right now. I believe that it will get fixed and I think the man who failed to give me the right direction as to what a code 66 is will be on fire in his pants but I would have his job in times when their are many qualified people to take it. FAIL FAIL FAIL is all I can think of when I think of this.

If and when I ever have another problem with this unit I am starting at the top and working my way down. I have a builder who cares and is connected to the top so hopefully I will get straight answers.

If I have to spend another dollar on this other than shipping to them with the bad parts I will be very disappointed. It just isn't right to have customers keep buying and buying parts to fix a problem from bad information.

This is beyond an emergency it has turned into a pandemic for me. How viral can ACCEL parts be? The answer from me would amaze most. I should have just bought an LS motor and sold the Accel DFI off to what I could get out of it and since the car will be down for 2 more weeks I probably would have been a week away from having a running car and no more pandemic.

Do you know of anyone local that might have another box to try out or that has a system already installed in there car so you can try your box in their car? Just a thought... Did you diconnect the ignition box from the DFI to see if the code still comes on? If it does, the problem is in the DFI.

Quote Originally Posted by DC454 View Post
      Do you know of anyone local that might have another box to try out or that has a system already installed in there car so you can try your box in their car? Just a thought... Did you diconnect the ignition box from the DFI to see if the code still comes on? If it does, the problem is in the DFI.

I bought another 6A box and coil, the 6a box was off of the dyno and was working so I know it was good, the coil was new out of the box.

I am not too sure about being able to disconnect the 6a box and then try the ecu because the ecu always resets itself and unless it gets the connection from the 6a box I am not sure it would bring up the code? If you can tell me that you know what wires to put where and disconnect to check the ecu like you say I might give it a try since I don't have anything to lose but a day. I would really like to be able to fix this without taking it out but that is not what I was told to do.

I got the answer from the head of Accel today and he told the builder that as soon as you get a code 66 you can't try it again or you send 500 volts of power to the ecu. This is what I was told and I was also told it fried my ecu the moment I tried it again. The sad thing about all of this is that the moment I got the code I contacted accel and actually got through and was told to just check all of my grounds and voltage and was never told to stop right then and replace my 6a box and coil. It all could have been handled better and now we all know.

Hopefully when someone Googles a code 66 or comes here and searches for what to do they will have the info they need now. I hate being the guinea pig for things like this but for some reason life has always put me there.

NEVER TRY TO START YOU CAR IF YOU GET A CODE 66 OR YOU WILL BURN UP THE ECU !!!!!!! This is not advice , it is a warning to follow or you will be very sorry.

I am taking the ecu out tonight and sending it out tomorrow. I hope it gets turned aroung quickly.

I am still real PO'ed because I wanted to go to one of the bigger car shows in the area this weekend and now I can't. I am missing events that I really want to go to and am ending up at events that have no coverage or classes that I can actually compete for anything in that mean anything to anyone.

I guess I should be thankful that the car is still in tact and it has a much better engine in it and when I get the ecu back I should have a more finished car because of the down time from all of this.

I keep trying to find the positive side to all of this and it is hard to do right now.

I am however positive about one negative thing, I will not talk to the person at Accel who gave me the wrong information again other than to tell him to get someone else on the phone or get me information from someone else at Accel. If it was up to me I would have him in the unemployment line fighting for another job. I don't think wishing bad things on other people is good karma but in this case he has pushed his karma past the limit and deserves the thoughts as far as I have experienced things in the last year. I am a forgiving person and I had already forgave him once and thought he had changed, never again will I do that for him.

So just like last time , if I start obcessing about this just tell me to shutup and quit crying and I will.

Thanks for being there with your thoughts and help.

Now back to what is important, finishing the car !!!

P.S. I just googled code 66 and it comes right up now, so hopefully if it happens to someone else they will get the info they need.
      Last edited by Jim Nilsen; 05-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Hey Jim, I met you last year at RTTH, have been reading your threads about this problem.

Probably nothing to add to the situation, but since it's still on
      going, did you say you changed your alternator to a one wire when you swapped motors? I thought I picked up on that some where in the thread, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Hey Jim, I met you last year at RTTH, have been reading your threads about this problem.

Probably nothing to add to the situation, but since it's still on
      going, did you say you changed your alternator to a one wire when you swapped motors? I thought I picked up on that some where in the thread, maybe not.
      I have had a one wire alternator from the very beginning. I mentioned that I have one because it takes it out of the equation when it comes to the voltage spikes to the system. With the one wire it all has to be filtered throught the battery instead of hitting the whole system. I had to go to a bigger bottom pulley to bring the speed of it up, the guy at Jones Racing who hadn't ever worked with an MSD alternator got me worried about turning it too fast and I went with just a bit smaller one to make sure at 7000 rpm I wasn't over doing it. An MSD can go over 20,000rpm and has to be driven at 3 to 1 tohave enough voltage at idle. I was borderline and just 300 rpm off. The change in the pulley puts me at 12.4 to 12.7 at 900 rpm instead of the 11.4 it was. I had to be at 1200 rpm to have the same voltage I have now. It was thought that the higher voltage may have been the culprit. I have it on a 200 amp breaker and it is easy to isolate it with the push of a button. It is no way the cause of my problem.

I look forward to seeing you at RTTH if I make it there.

This is past the emergency stage and can be moved.

The ecu is coming out today and getting sent out. I hope I get it all running soon again.

Thanks for all of the replies and support.

Hello Jim
      I'm having the same problem with my gen 7, Did sending it back to Accel fix the problem with the code 66 ?
      Thanks,
      Tony

Yes , they fixed it right up n problem

So was the fix for this issue was to send it back to Accel for the repair? I know this thread is old but I'm working on the same DFI system. I know Accel is a part of Holley.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com