Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      There's a real science to it. She knows about the account, but not how much is in it. I always give the impression that the account is almost struggling. On the few occasions that we needed to tap into my hotrod account, I told her that there wasn't enough in there to do what we needed to do, so we should ask my folks. THEN (lol) I brought the cash with me to my folks' house, slipped cash to my mom, and my mother "loaned" us the money.

The cool thing is that my wife ALWAYS pays my mom back, and my mom gives it back to me to put back into MY account. I have a cool and understanding mother.

The funniest thing is that not that long ago, my mom "loaned" my wife $10,000 as a downpayment on a new car, but my wife still thinks my personal account is barely surviving.
      You better pray she doesn't read this, lol.
      Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

Joint accounts are bad news. I spend way to much money on my car, but as long as I pay the bills and she doesn't know how much I spend all is good.

No hidden accounts here, my wife knows all to well life is short...you should do what makes you happy as long as your not hurting anyone else. Like said in another thread, i spend what i want...but if some thing life related came up that's where the $$$'s go. Plus, i get my two kids involved and it gives her free time when we go for rides,shows and the drags.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Jarcaines View Post
      Absolutely not. A "secret account" sounds like a one way ticket to divorce. I do freelance design on the side, and that is my Camaro money, and it's no secret. If there is ever anything that money can be used for that is a higher priority then the Camaro, I would have no problem using that money for something else. I might get shunned for saying this, but the car is a hobby, it's pretty low on the priority list.

Part of being married is everything is "ours".
      I really like this logic. I have NO IDEA who Jarcaines is, but it sounds like he has a healthy marraige and has his priorities right.

For me, I have a paypal account from sales I make online. That's my play money. Though I dip into "our" money every so often, she knows that I spend responsibly, albeit not knowing where every dollar goes.

My wife stays at home with our son and we have only one account and one income (mine). That's "our" money, I could never have a separate account that she didn't know about. Just doesn't seem right.
      Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56
      1964 Chevy II 4-Door - LS1 + T56

Nope don't need to. My wife is my enabler. She let's me buy what I want as long as we can afford it. Hell she works on and welds on my cars.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Well my wife does support my hobby as long as I also do work on her car. But then again I have no $$$$$ to work on the car with so.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

My wife has no buyers remorse at all. My secret account is just as much a nestegg account as it is a hotrod thing. Our other 2 accounts, which she knows about, never seem to get more than $10,000 in them, cumulatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug53 View Post
      My wife has no buyers remorse at all. My secret account is just as much a nestegg account as it is a hotrod thing. Our other 2 accounts, which she knows about, never seem to get more than $10,000 in them, cumulatively.
      Lol, and I get excited when my one and only account gets more than $1K in it.

uh, um, yeah. It's called a credit card, which is really bad.

Really, for the most part, my wife knows what I spend on the car, which lately is nothing. However, she enjoys getting out the vette as much as I do and we've both been missing it. So I get the "OK" from time to time just to keep it running.

As others have said, as long as the lights stay on and the kids are feed, the rest is ok.

I have to agree about the credit cards. We got rid of all of ours about 6-7 years ago. Paid em' off, GONE. For those of ya that think a secret fund is bad, but have any substantial credit card debt, I don't understand the "logic". You think stashing cash away for an emergency nest-egg, and occasional responsible hotrod spending, is somehow worse than the whole credit card scenario?

My ex-wife had a secret account she was putting over 10K a year into as well as a secret credit card that she had the statements mailed to her work all the while complaining about how much I spent on my El Camino.

We had agreed that my overtime could go towards my projects, wants needs and desires and she got an allowance for hers but that's not how it worked out. Any time my girls needed money for school or sports I sold off project stuff (guns, hot rod parts, etc.) or pulled money out of my project account.

Now we are divorced and I still put my OT, tax return or any other extra cash into my project account and live off of my pay checks. I also have 2 room mates and all the "Rent" money goes into the project account. I don't believe I will ever get married again but if I do our finances will be as separate as possible with a Pre-nup in place. Yeah , I'm a little bitter about it but in the end I think it worked out for the best.

Having been on the other end of having a spouse hiding money from their other half I can tell you it sucked and was extremely disappointing to find out about. I would suggest being open with your better half about it and if she disapproves of your hobbies you should probably find a different better half.
      About to make poor choices and regrettable decisions

LMAO! This thread is great. I claim the 5th.

I got nailed with having a secret stash earlier this year. I chuckle a bit because I "think" she knew I had some cash stashed. We had a family emergency back in march (small electrical fire in our main panel). When the electrician showed up as the fire department was leaving, he said, I can get started on this right away if you can front the money until insurance kicks in. I excused myself for a minute, then came back into the room with a fist full of cash as said, "do it"! The bitch of it was, once the insurance checks came in they didn't make it back to my stash...

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

shes ok with me enjoying the hobby as long as I keep it within reason...

though it helps that the car was pretty much restored before I got married. all the major stuff was done...so it's mainly minor mods now here and there that keeps me active with the car.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

She "sorta" knows about it, but definitely not the extent of it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com