Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Difference Between "Pro-Touring" And "Resto-Mod" ?

What is the difference between these two in terms of what kind of car a fellow ends up with? Or, are the terms just interchangeable?

Thanks,
      -Greg

Resto-Mod = Restoration with some improvements

Pro-Touring = Balls out race car with plates.

Atleast, that's what I think.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Country Flag: United States
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Traditionally, Pro-Touring is GM-based. Resto-Mod is more Ford-based.

They are functionally the same thing: original styling, modern performance.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

darn it. Im on the wrong fourm. haha.

in my non-expert opinion I would list them as

Resto Mod : Classic resto with modern enhancements such as late model wheels, engines, interior bits and more street oriented i.e. Taking a early Camaro/Mustang to perform and handle like a late model Camaro/Mustang

Pro-Touring : Classic car with more of a European uber luxo oriented build i.e. taking a '69 Charger and making it perform and handle on the level of a Ferrari or Porsche.

Resto Mod: you build the car using a reasonable monthly budget

Pro-Touring: you have second mortgage on our house and max out your credit cards to build the car

If it goes, stops, and turns better than stock, it's pro-touring. That's been the functional rule for several years now.

They're all just terms. No rule books exist for any car style.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Resto Mod : Classic resto with modern enhancements such as late model wheels, engines, interior bits and more street oriented i.e. Taking a early Camaro/Mustang to perform and handle like a late model Camaro/Mustang

Pro-Touring : Classic car with more of a European uber luxo oriented build i.e. taking a '69 Charger and making it perform and handle on the level of a Ferrari or Porsche.

This is the BEST definition I have read and agree 100%!!!!!!!
      "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"

There aren't any experts, so your definition is just as valid or invalid as the next guy's. We've been debating the definition for a long time. Do a search and you'll find many many threads on the subject.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

That's about as good a definition as any for me. I consider my '66 GTO build a "Resto-Mod". Even with the whole new drivetrain, the SC&C suspension, etc, t's a convertible without a cage, so....

I'd call Bad Penny "Pro-Touring". No such sacrifices to just appearance or convenience, but more "hang it all out" killer performance.

I'm also not sure it's tied to the cost. I think you could easily build a "pro touring" car to the same level as a "resto-mod" for the same cost if you focused strictly on performance and not appearance.

Resto Mod has some impprovements, it may have 4 wheel disks but they are OEM such as LS1 f-body brakes, and some suspension improvements but generally mild bolt on parts.

Pro-touring - Suspension is reengineered for better geometry and often has atleast 13" brakes. The motor makes more power and often has efi.

If pro-touring is a race oriented car a large percentage of cars here do not qualify. IMO the ground is crossed somewhere with the better brakes and suspension geometry.
      Lamar
      00 C5 hardtop H&C 436 rwhp with an 04 Z06 Suspension
      70 Chevelle SS396

I'd call Bad Penny "Pro-Touring". No such sacrifices to just appearance or convenience, but more "hang it all out" killer performance.

Bad Penny is like the most beautiful an expensive hooker you ever laid eyes on. She's dressed to thrill an all business with a little comfort to go with her.
      When you look at her you know she is going to be really good at what she does!
      Just my 2cents
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

I think I have one of each:
      Restomod: 1936 Ford that looks perfectly original with all the chrome trim, door handles, bumpers, wide whitewalls etc.. However, it has a heavily modified chassis, 454 BBC, Must II IFS and a Ford 8". From a distance, you would think it's almost traditional. But it is lowered and has a BBC rumble to it.

Protouring: 1963 Nova convertible. I call it a pro-touring 'lite'. It has disk brakes, a 700R4, 355 SBC, tubular upper and lower control arms, front and rear sway bars and is much lower than stock. to make it a true pro-tourer, I'd like to add frame connectors and do something with the existing leaf spring suspension.

Obviously pro-touring has a website and resto-mod doesn't. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Traditionally, Pro-Touring is GM-based. Resto-Mod is more Ford-based.

They are functionally the same thing: original styling, modern performance.

jp
      Huh, I never thought of either really being brand oriented, but a quick google of 'resto-mod' brought up primarily fords and some mustang shops.

Now close it!
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
      I never thought of either really being brand oriented, but a quick google of 'resto-mod' brought up primarily fords and some mustang shops.
      Exactly. There's no functional difference, just two different automotive worlds with two different terms that mean the same thing.

jp
      John Parsons

Cars: 1969 outside, 2006 inside
      Collectors can now buy classic American car bodies stuffed with all the latest technology.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/auto...mods/index.htm
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by 93Polo View Post
      Resto Mod has some impprovements it may have 4 wheel disks but they OEM such as LS1 f-body brakes, and some suspension improvements but generally mild bolt on parts.

Pro-touring - Suspension is reengineered for better geometry and often has atleast 13" brakes. The motor makes more power and often has efi.

If pro-touring is a race oriented car a large percentage of cars here do not qualify. IMO the ground is crossed somewhere with the better brakes and suspension geometry.
      I tend to agree with this one. Once you start re-engineering the suspension you've gone beyond any "resto" term.

Quote Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
      I tend to agree with this one. Once you start re-engineering the suspension you've gone beyond any "resto" term.
      Thanks, my post was from a GM A,F, and X-body point of view.

Looking at John's definition he does have a point, Mustang guys can put a full Griggs or whatever suspension, big brakes etc and most still call it a resto mod, so the definition does change with the car.

I also see plenty of "Resto Mod" shoe box Chevies with F-body front sub frames but rarely consider them pro-touring. They did reengineer the chassis but, the argument could be made that they reengineered to a newer but still old OEM suspension and thus not be up to a pro-touring level of mods.
      Lamar
      00 C5 hardtop H&C 436 rwhp with an 04 Z06 Suspension
      70 Chevelle SS396

I agree with John. Resto Mod is most commonly associated with Ford, and Pro Touring with GM, usually Camaro.

If a Pro Touring car has to have a Euro flare to it, I have built 50 NON Pro Touring cars in the last few years.

And I think most here will agree if it has a heavy race edge, like Steevo's car, it is Street Fighter, Penny is a Street Fighter in some trim and Pro Touring in other trim.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com