Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      cue evil laugh

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
      Dude, a fox body bird? Why haven't you started a build thread yet? Or have you and I just not seen it.
      Alas I have not started a build thread, I've been slooowly working on this car for a long time. Here is a link to my car domain page, check it out if you like www.cardomain.com/ride/2464163
      00' Durango 196K
      93' Tempo 51K
      86' ThunderBird 256k but under reconstructive surgery
      www.cardomain.com/ride/2464163

Country Flag: United States
      Now on the other hand what is a bolt on car that has heavy "touring" mods but is geometrically unaltered and has stock body/unibody? Something like an '03/'04 Terminator Cobra. Most would agree that it's a pretty stout car and has a huge aftermarket, now if it had heavy handling mods like suspension upgrades and brakes what would that be called? I would call it a "pro-touring" theme build but it goes against my own definition.
      Too new to really fit "Resto-mod" or "Pro-Touring", and too soft for "Street Fighter" unless it's been stripped and caged. If anything, it would represent what you'd set your performance sights on for an early Mustang R-M or PT effort. Maybe 25 years from now it will fit . . .

My '08 Mustang is potentially in the same state of limbo regarding an appopriate category description. Eventually there will be some mods beyond cold air/tune/Koni Sports, and more than likely some will be one-off in nature. But I haven't heard of anybody running the S197's in either autocross or open-tracking mention any sort of handle to describe these cars, so it's still a build direction without a name.

BTW - I wouldn't want to apply the tag "tuner" either. Too much association with imports from across either pond.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

To me it is more about how the car is driven and used.

If the car was built more for comfort and cruising I think "Resto-Mod".

If it was built to be driven hard with occasional track time yet retain creature comforts I think "Pro-Touring".

If it was built for performance only yet still street driven I think "Street Fighter".

And if the car only runs at events with little to no street driving I think "track car".

Its as much a reflection of the owner/driver as it is the car itself.
      Mike A
      69 Chevelle
      496 Big Block

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
      Too new to really fit "Resto-mod" or "Pro-Touring", and too soft for "Street Fighter" unless it's been stripped and caged. If anything, it would represent what you'd set your performance sights on for an early Mustang R-M or PT effort. Maybe 25 years from now it will fit . . .

My '08 Mustang is potentially in the same state of limbo regarding an appopriate category description. Eventually there will be some mods beyond cold air/tune/Koni Sports, and more than likely some will be one-off in nature. But I haven't heard of anybody running the S197's in either autocross or open-tracking mention any sort of handle to describe these cars, so it's still a build direction without a name.

BTW - I wouldn't want to apply the tag "tuner" either. Too much association with imports from across either pond.

Norm
      I have trouble putting a year on the pro-touring moniker. To place year restrictions on the term would mean you have to determine a year for the car anyway. This would be done by just going off the year on the title? Many of these cars have all new sheet metal and newer power plants. So an all new car with a '69 title is a '69?

I also feel that year restrictions limit the market. To keep the pro-touring theme growing there has to be unity in the following. Fragmentation will hold it back and hinder it. This is what the diesel performance market is experiencing now, several sanctioning bodies pulling in different directions. A little different but same principal.

Can trucks be pro-touring?

I think I may fall through the cracks on this one.I have seen so many so called resto mods with very light mods like wheels and seats.I didn`t want to put myself in the same class as this,but I`m also not building a road race car.

Can trucks be pro-touring?
      I asked, and most agreed that my truck was pro-touring

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=66666
      68 C-10 5.3L

97 Chevy 12V cummins powered monster truck

On the hunt for a chevelle project

Quote Originally Posted by 69496 View Post
      To me it is more about how the car is driven and used.

If the car was built more for comfort and cruising I think "Resto-Mod".

If it was built to be driven hard with occasional track time yet retain creature comforts I think "Pro-Touring".

If it was built for performance only yet still street driven I think "Street Fighter".

And if the car only runs at events with little to no street driving I think "track car".

Its as much a reflection of the owner/driver as it is the car itself.
      My car will definitely be driven hard and put away wet while keeping my cool and comfy
      Yes there will be a roll cage installed before any serious track time........ I also plan on running it soley on E85. (let the flaming begin)
      Last edited by 1Bad86Bird; 05-12-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added stuff
      00' Durango 196K
      93' Tempo 51K
      86' ThunderBird 256k but under reconstructive surgery
      www.cardomain.com/ride/2464163

since Amir's yet to swing by....

I have read most of this and other than all the interpretation the real visible differnces in the two is:

Pro-Touring has ten letters in it

Resto-Mod has eight

Sorry I just couldn't resist today
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      Resto-Mod = Restoration with some improvements

Pro-Touring = Balls out race car with plates.

Atleast, that's what I think.

On the money,

Resto "old" and Mod "modified" or upgrades; ie..cruze night king

Pro-touring "New" up-to-date tech; ie..race car

We all came into this world ignorant, it takes hard work to remain joyful in its bliss.
      --Hazewriter--

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...0-Convertible)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nilsen View Post
      I have read most of this and other than all the interpretation the real visible differnces in the two is:

Pro-Touring has ten letters in it

Resto-Mod has eight

Sorry I just couldn't resist today
      WRONG!

Pro-touring refers to 69 Camaro's with the air ride and Vintage Air.

Resto-Mod refers to 69 Mustangs with Modular engines and Elanor body kits.

Jeez, I thought everybody knew this!

Now Street Fighter is a different story. Any classic, up to and including 1983 Malibu's, can be a SF as long as it has a bad paint job and heavy steel wheels.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

You guys can keep beating this horse to death if you want. Just let me know when everyone gets tired of it and I will close the thread.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

My house is in Texas but rite now I'm in Afghanistan
      Pro-touring def a bunch of gear heads making cars run better and faster for the sake of pure adrenalin and enjoyment! There why do people have to categorize between Ford products or GM. Though the back and forth is fun to watch. I just love American cars the most that's all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com