Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Resto-mod = a car that the wife/girlfriend likes to go cruise in

Pro-touring= a car that the wife/girlfriend will never ride in cause it is too loud, rides rough, and requires one to side over the roll bar/cage, and the 5 point harness wrinkles her blouse (I can't believe I typed blouse.....)

To me a resto-mod is a car with some mild updates to make it a cruiser to take the old tech edge off of an old car.

Where Pro-touring is for the car that gets run harder and will see track days something 99% of the resto-mod will never get near. the resto-mods that do see track time will soon have the mods to be pro-touring.

Stay in it till you see God....then lift

Where patience fails, force prevails

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat." G. Carlin

Stapp's Ironical Paradox...... "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Heck , I don't even consider my car to be a great example of a Pro-Touring car ( YET ).
      My car is just an Old School / Low Tech / 80's version resto , with some lowered springs , 17" wheels and a 5-speed..

I'll get there someday ..
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Really, if you want to get technical, the term is a misnomer. The definition of "Touring" is to travel from place to place and usually implies travel for pleasure. "Pro" obviously referees to "professional", and until someone starts getting paid for driving their car around for fun, nobody is "touring" "professionally".

Just sayin' ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      Carpet is a good idea .
      It cuts down on the noise , heat , and droning ..
      Which is why you leave the carpet to that wussy pro-touring crowd.

If you can't handle the heat (& noise/droning) stay out of the streetfighters kitchen!

Jelvis's definition is exactly what I would have wrote..... to the T!
      JC Scott

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillz View Post
      Which is why you leave the carpet to that wussy pro-touring crowd.

If you can't handle the heat (& noise/droning) stay out of the streetfighters kitchen!

Jelvis's definition is exactly what I would have wrote..... to the T!
      Again, I disagree.

I believe carpet is a necessity in any car regardless. Have you ever just put in carpet, no plush, no mat, no sound deadening/thermal protection? Yeah it DOES NOT help anything at all. It helps grip your foot when you're shifting, because your car SHOULD have a clutch.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

naah...a real streetfighter will just powershift without using the clutch...ever....

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      It helps grip your foot when you're shifting, because your car SHOULD have a clutch.
      You don't need carpet for grip , just an aluminum plate in the flloor with black non-skid surface on it,,
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

You don't need carpet for grip , just an aluminum plate in the flloor with black non-skid surface on it,,
      Damn, you got me there.

Oh, how about... carpet gives your wife/girlfriend/significant other something to clean while you tear up the streets?
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2

Quote Originally Posted by edog1 View Post
      resto mod: You build the car using a reasonable monthly budget

pro-touring: You have second mortgage on our house and max out your credit cards to build the car
      thats good!!!!!

Preach it brother!
      JC Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post

Pro-touring= a car that the wife/girlfriend will never ride in cause it is too loud, rides rough, and requires one to side over the roll bar/cage, and the 5 point harness wrinkles her blouse (I can't believe I typed blouse.....)

To me a resto-mod is a car with some mild updates to make it a cruiser to take the old tech edge off of an old car.

Where Pro-touring is for the car that gets run harder and will see track days something 99% of the resto-mod will never get near. the resto-mods that do see track time will soon have the mods to be pro-touring.
      Close.

Street-fighter = a car that the wife/girlfriend will never ride in cause it is too loud, rides rough, and requires one to side over the roll bar/cage, and the 5 point harness wrinkles her blouse (I can't believe I typed blouse.....). This is the race car with license plates.

Pro-Touring = in between. Some overlap between this general category and either of the other two is unavoidable. Wife/girlfriend will ride in it, but usually prefers not to if another option is available.

That "resto-mod" seems to be more closely associated with Fords and that "pro-touring" carries a GM implication is something that I've also noticed. Particularly since spending time on one of the larger Mustang forums.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

Resto mod = when you start with a budget and stick to it

Pro-tourning = when your resto mod has a budget but "things dont work out"
      86 Regal "Big Red" Iron LS2 t-56 8.8 diff with a carb (FOR SALE https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=68866 )

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
      Close.

Street-fighter = a car that the wife/girlfriend will never ride in cause it is too loud, rides rough, and requires one to side over the roll bar/cage, and the 5 point harness wrinkles her blouse (I can't believe I typed blouse.....). This is the race car with license plates.

Pro-Touring = in between. Some overlap between this general category and either of the other two is unavoidable. Wife/girlfriend will ride in it, but usually prefers not to if another option is available.

That "resto-mod" seems to be more closely associated with Fords and that "pro-touring" carries a GM implication is something that I've also noticed. Particularly since spending time on one of the larger Mustang forums.

Norm
      I thought Street Fighter was a Subset of Protouring

Like:

Resto Mod

Protouring
      -Street Fighter
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2

If you consider "Resto-mod" as being "Pro-Touring lite", that's a PT subset too.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

I'm just happy to see this has gotten to three pages without silly pictures. Yes, the question keeps coming up every few months but the definition continues to evolve as the cars do. IMO Charley's cars are pro-touring. Hot rods with 20's are resto-mods - not that my definition matters. Maybe this thread should be attached to the definition thread. I got another one that at first everyone will shout "NO!" to: are tuners by definition hotrods?

It says a lot about the maturity level of the site these days that the thread has meandered all over the place, and nobody's gotten upset.

3 years ago the mods would have had to intervene to separate the combatants.

Carry on.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

So would my project be considered "Resto-Mod because it's a Ford??

It started life as an 86' Thunder Bird Turbo Coupe. So far I've installed an 03' Cobra IRS (that still needs to be further modified), custom thru-floor subframe connectors w/lower SFC's as well. 00' GT front suspension w/ MM tubular LCA's and coil-overs. The brakes will getting updated to 14's up front and 13's out back. I had toyed with the idea of going with an air-ride setup. The engine is a 4.6DOHC w/a 5spd. Will be adding twin turbo's at a later date. Tires and wheels are going to be 18X9.5's w/285's on the 4 corners.

I suppose it will probably be a "Resto-Mod" because I do plan on having a complete interior and creature comforts to boot.
      Oh well.
      Last edited by 1Bad86Bird; 05-07-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added stuff
      00' Durango 196K
      93' Tempo 51K
      86' ThunderBird 256k but under reconstructive surgery
      www.cardomain.com/ride/2464163

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      It says a lot about the maturity level of the site these days that the thread has meandered all over the place, and nobody's gotten upset.

3 years ago the mods would have had to intervene to separate the combatants.

Carry on.

jp
      You are a mod.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad86Bird View Post
      So would my project be considered "Resto-Mod because it's a Ford??

It started life as an 86' Thunder Bird Turbo Coupe. So far I've installed an 03' Cobra IRS (that still needs to be further modified), custom thru-floor subframe connectors w/lower SFC's as well. 00' GT front suspension w/ MM tubular LCA's and coil-overs. The brakes will getting updated to 14's up front and 13's out back. I had toyed with the idea of going with an air-ride setup. The engine is a 4.6DOHC w/a 5spd. Will be adding twin turbo's at a later date. Tires and wheels are going to be 18X9.5's w/285's on the 4 corners.

I suppose it will probably be a "Resto-Mod" because I do plan on having a complete interior and creature comforts to boot.
      Oh well.
      Dude, a fox body bird? Why haven't you started a build thread yet? Or have you and I just not seen it. These cars are cheap and can use 99% of all fox body parts which have a huge aftermarket. Sounds like a cool project.

Back on topic, in my opinion a resto-mod is a stock restoration that has some modern or performance upgrades. The addition of a/c, wheels, exhaust, heads/intake.

Pro-touring would be when you start to change suspension geometry, update to newer suspension like corvette into anything else. Tube frames and engine set back and stuff like that would be pro touring to me.

Since I tend to lean towards the Ford camp more I am pretty familiar with the resto-mod term. Pro-touring was a fairly new term to me until several years ago. So I have never heard the Ford=resto-mod/Chevy=pro-touring, that's an interesting take but I think it's a little deeper than that.

Now on the other hand what is a bolt on car that has heavy "touring" mods but is geometrically unaltered and has stock body/unibody? Something like an '03/'04 Terminator Cobra. Most would agree that it's a pretty stout car and has a huge aftermarket, now if it had heavy handling mods like suspension upgrades and brakes what would that be called? I would call it a "pro-touring" theme build but it goes against my own definition.

It seems like there is so much gray area that it's hard to pin it down really. Pro-touring, I believe is the step after resto-mod.
      Last edited by joemac; 05-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Sorry..... I couldn't resist!
      JC Scott

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com