Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      !Aye dios mio! This again!

Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      I agree with John. Resto Mod is most commonly associated with Ford, and Pro Touring with GM, usually Camaro.

If a Pro Touring car has to have a Euro flare to it, I have built 50 NON Pro Touring cars in the last few years.

And I think most here will agree if it has a heavy race edge, like Steevo's car, it is Street Fighter, Penny is a Street Fighter in some trim and Pro Touring in other trim.

So frank, is my car resto-mod? since its a ford.

Yes! So you have to leave the club house now!

I'm not trying to work up the definition game again, just sharing an observation that resto-mod is more associated with Ford, and PT with GM.

There's no "correct", just like there's no expert. We can't appeal to any court or municipal body to determine what our car is.

If you ask somebody else what your car is, you'll get their definition. If you define it yourself, you've got your own definition. Both definitions and $5 will get you coffee at Starbuck's.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Damn Frank! I knew you were holding out on me. I didn't even know there WAS a club house.

darnit, later guys.

You have to steal a Playboy from dad to get back in the clubhouse! LOL!

I'd say :

A "Resto-Mod" is a car that has been restored using more modern parts and systems to upgrade the driveability , comfort , and safety of the car.
      The cars primary function is to drive as a street car under "normal" conditions.( Like to Cruise-Ins)
      (Example): a restored Camaro , with a modern fuel injected engine , 4 wheel disc brakes , overdrive transmission ,and air conditioning that gets driven to cruise night with the wife and kids.

A "Pro-Touring" car is a like a resto-mod , but with more emphasis on higher speed performance , handling and braking .
      A "touring" car should be driven on trips. No trailer queens or garage queens .
      The pro-touring car can theoretically rival the best new , late model performance cars in terms of performance and comfort.
      Pro-Touring cars are meant to emulate the modern touring cars by BMW , Mercedes , Audi , Cadillac CTS , etc..
      Touring cars have a lot of power to cruise comfortably at highway speeds , pass slower traffic , and make good time on a trip, in comfort and style..

A "Street Fighter" is a stripped down , no frills , pro-touring car that is meant to have less emphasis on comfort and more emphasis on all out speed , handling , and braking..
      (Example): No carpet , no a/c , no headliner .. painted floor..full rollcage..
      Last edited by JEFFTATE; 05-05-2010 at 09:21 AM.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Resto Mod- a phrase that makes me cringe every time I hear it watching Barrett Jackson. Double cringe when they call nice PT cars a Resto Mod.
      Dave
      FUeL 69 Camaro RS BuilD by G-Force Design & Concept
      68 Corvair coupe
      65 Impala SS
      64 Corvair Rampside
      62 Corvair Greenbrier
      Asst. daily drivers

http://www.sourceboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      I'd say :

A "Resto-Mod" is a car that has been restored using more modern parts and systems to upgrade the driveability , comfort , and safety of the car.
      The cars primary function is to drive as a street car under "normal" conditions.
      Example: a restored Camaro , with a modern fuel injected engine and air conditioning that gets driven to cruise night with the wife and kids.

A "Pro-Touring" car is a like a resto-mod , but with more emphasis on higher speed performance , handling and braking .
      The pro-touring car can theoretically rival the best new , late model performance cars in terms of performance and comfort.

A "Street Fighter" is a stripped down , no frills , pro-touring car that is meant to have less emphasis on comfort and more emphasis on all out speed..
      Example: No carpet , no a/c , no headliner .. painted floor..full rollcage..
      I agree with all that EXCEPT carpet. A car has to have a carpet, or something of equal or greater value.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      I'd say :

The cars primary function is to drive as a street car under "normal" conditions.
      Example: a restored Camaro , with a modern fuel injected engine and air conditioning that gets driven to cruise night with the wife and kids.

A "Street Fighter" is a stripped down , no frills , pro-touring car that is meant to have less emphasis on comfort and more emphasis on all out speed..

My thoughts exactly and I drive a Ford. Once I complete my front and rear suspension upgrades, I will no longer consider my car a "Resto-mod". If I decide to take it a step further and strip out all the unnecessary weight, I may call it a "Street Fighter".
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

You have to steal a Playboy from dad to get back in the clubhouse! LOL!
      LOL.....

I like Tate's definitions....aligns with how I was thinking.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

OK guys, so I'm (as usual) confused.

How would you characterize my project? Pro-Touring? (non-Ford) Resto-Mod? Cruiser? Or maybe just an exercise in bad judgement
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      OK guys, so I'm (as usual) confused.

How would you characterize my project? Pro-Touring? (non-Ford) Resto-Mod? Cruiser? Or maybe just an exercise in bad judgement
      Looking at your sig. Pro-touring
      Lamar
      00 C5 hardtop H&C 436 rwhp with an 04 Z06 Suspension
      70 Chevelle SS396

Quote Jeff

We are building something like this now but its got to have air i dont care if it does have alum. race seats an a full cage LOL!!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Quote Originally Posted by formula View Post
      They're all just terms. No rule books exist for any car style.
      Amen!

Now come on, Resto-mod for years has been every tri 5 chevy or other 50s car around done for cruise fun.
      Resto Mod: sawpping in disc for drum brakes, power steering up grade, good /restored paint and interior,maybe a little healthier engine trans/OD trans, maybe upgraded or aftermarket A/C, and maybe a decent set of tunes.
      Pro Touring: Drop frame, transplant say C5/C6 front end with max performance/look uber expensive wheels/tires. Swapping in say LSx with forced induction, complete interior revamp, floor/firewall/tunnel mods to fit max effort chassis mods, maybe even complete frame replacement.
      All mods geared for ride ,drive, turn, accelerate, and stop with maximum performance.
      Hence a 69 Camaro with stock disc conversion and few handling parts replacing worn old parts, maybe some cheap bigger wheels/tires and shiny paint job. To me restored body, tiny amount of performance, little rumble but nothing overly replaced.
      This is resto mod.
      Pro touring would be DSE sub, ATS spindles.
      Say Ridetech Airbar 4 link, ShockWaves all around, Musclebars, or a 3 link with a watts linkage ,DSE mini tubs.
      Custom cage/roll bar, full on rebuilt interior.
      Say C5/C6 brakes or big Baer or Wilwood, lots of mods all geared towards running hard, taking corners, braking and going fast.
      Resto Mod is precursor to Pro-Touring, the ones happy with Resto Mod go no farther then sell it to one of us Pro Touring guys.

My Monza, is going Pro-Touring, its getting rad support modded to fit better radiator, my 283 will get set up for the future turbo(s), I am working on installing air ride, upgrading the rear suspension to either 3 or 4 link maybe a watts link, I am going to up grade to 4 wheel disc, Corvette on front, S10 on rear, Going to get Lee to fix steering box into a fast ratio, and up grading to some sort of 17" wheels with Nittos.
      Guess what, its Pro-Touring.
      My Caprice, it getting 18 Vette sized wheels and tires(maybe even Vette wheels), 355mm(14in) C6 Z06 'Vette brakes, air ride again, Upgraded suspension parts, For now its getting my 402 Big Block Chevy(hoping for aluminum heads down the road).
      I am going to mod the bumpers to clean it up, add in my Cowl Induction scoop, swap in some better seats. And not sure if I am going to use shiny paint or relegate this one to Street Fighter/ Pro-touring status.
      Now if the Caprice simply got an engine that sounded cool, nice wheels and say cut springs, with nice paint and interior, Id call it resto mod. BUT difference in both is one is ofr more looks and little performance where as Pro Touring is looks, performance, and reliability.

Take any 50s-60s-early 70s car, do a few up dates and never beat it, try to hustle around a track, or push the Vette or Porsche on the off ramp or remote straights. but it looks stock.
      Resto mod all the way.
      Now Take same car, upgrade brakes, wheels tires suspension, driveline to maximum potential for power/performance, and any requisite parts needed, then want to go beat it on a track challenge, autocross, etc.
      Pro-Touring no question.
      Kind of like a 85 Monte Carlo with a 4 link 31x18.50x15 Mickeys, 355 with blower and street radials on front and fancy paint/ interior,,,,
      This is Pro Street, a copy of the Pro-Stock look with little performance value except some rumble and looks good on fiar grounds or at gas station but will be blown away at track.
      Now Nothing wrong with Resto mod, you just dont go to Midwest Musclecar Challenge or optima Challenge or to Road America with one, unless its just bought and your going to go forward towards Pro Touring.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

both are just label people put on cars. ultimately, they are meaningless terms since there is so much overlap between different people's definitions of what means what.
      i've seen stock late 60's cars with stock drum brakes showing thru 18" wheels that the owners claimed was "pro touring".

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      I agree with all that EXCEPT carpet. A car has to have a carpet, or something of equal or greater value.
      Carpet is a good idea .
      It cuts down on the noise , heat , and droning ..
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

I like to call my car a Hot Rod.

It's more fun to say, if nothing else.

If I say resto-mod or pro-touring or street-fighter to anyone other than a fellow owner of similar ilk, I get alot of blank stares.

1969 Firebird, Black, Parchment Arizen interior, Poncho 383 (4" crank), Kauffman heads, TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Wilwoods, DSE, Speed Tech, Koni, Hotchkis, GW, 18" TTI's, VA Gen IV, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com