Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      no one has mentioned this yet, but SAFETY is also a major part of this. it wouldn't be wise to try to run a autocross w/a drag setup, or a high speed run at the level of competition they are shooting for.
      Fixed back seats, five point harnesses and properly design 8 or 10 point cage will be safe in virtually any environment. It doesn't sound like it's going be running in the 7's, but 'chutes wouldn't be that hard to incorporate, like on that OD Green camaro from a while back. Wheelie bars wouldn't really be any more complicated, could be built as whole bolt-on unit for the 'chutes and wheelie bar. I can't think of what else might be an issue for one specific sport over another. Build to the strictest rules from each sport and it's unlikely any will be in conflict. The autocross track sure won't hurt from a rear firewall, and the extra lateral rigidity will simple help the car track without front wheels on the ground when on the strip.

Do you have any specific concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
      Do you have any specific concerns?
      perhaps I'm way off here (wouldn't be the 1st time) but my thinking was trying to run an autocross w/ drag shocks and slicks. obviously it wouldn't be all that safe. so that's why you wouldn't be able to run one car/one setup in all types of competition. there needs to be different sets of wheels and shocks, besides performance, but also safety.

don't mind me, carry on.
      Keith C.

For safety we have the challenge of blending the cage and safety requirments to fit into NHRA and NASA rule books.

John and I are the same height and use the same seating position, so fixed seats yes, but also additional mounting locations for people of other heights, like Mary for example!
      Full on board fire system for sure.
      Window net.

You get the idea.

As for parachute and wheelie bars. Won;t need either really for drag racing, she will only run 150MPH or so at the drags and I slow my street drag car from 146MPH with stock front brakes and rear drums. We will have a little bigger brakes.

But if I can fit them on there for effect alone, i will.

Parachute, if we can design a pin on dolution where it plugs in when we need it, a chute at Maxton would be nice.

Yeah doesn't an 8 second car need a 25.1 certified cage with the funny car cage portion and all sorts of double frame rails and crap ? I don't know much about it but I thought it did. Maybe that's 7 seconds when it gets really crazy. Could be a whole lot of weight in a steel based car.

I know that Prodigy knows what its doing, but all this talk about swapping setups in and out. It can go pretty fast on a lift with complete air tools and jacks, but in my experience as a one man show on jackstands is that its not that easy. Sure I can get it on stands, pull the wheelsn, and undo the bolts pretty easily assuming I have an impact gun. But loading a new unit in there, getting the nuts and bolts started, re-safety wiring stuff. Maybe its just my car, but even simple swaps or changing links seems to be much harder than it sounds on paper. There is usually something sticky, or a little pre-load on stuff, or just normal mechanical vagaries that make it much harder and physically more difficult that it sounds.

Hell I use most of a Saturday and all of my lower back just tweaking my alignment and ride height.

Thats the difference between drag racers and some road track racers.
      Them drag guys build everything so its easy to swap. Spaced heims, quick disco coil overs, tang locked headers.
      I remember friends bustin tranies and rear ends at the drags and 45 mins later they are back out. Amazing sometimes.

I've seen some crazy stuff at the pits at both type or racing so I guess it just depends. me, if something broke I'd be back on the trailer. But in defence, I once assembled a 67 Carmaro from shell to driver in a weekend on a dirt driveway behind a church using hand tools, without a cherry picker and just a cheap floor jack ....in the snow, uphill. LOL

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

We will be no where near 25.1C requirments, were not going nearly 7.50s

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      Thats the difference between drag racers and some road track racers.
      Them drag guys build everything so its easy to swap. Spaced heims, quick disco coil overs, tang locked headers.
      I remember friends bustin tranies and rear ends at the drags and 45 mins later they are back out. Amazing sometimes.

I've seen some crazy stuff at the pits at both type or racing so I guess it just depends. me, if something broke I'd be back on the trailer. But in defence, I once assembled a 67 Carmaro from shell to driver in a weekend on a dirt driveway behind a church using hand tools, without a cherry picker and just a cheap floor jack ....in the snow, uphill. LOL

Vince
      Damn, really? You for hire?
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Going to be following this one... just disappointed it isn't going to be Way II Much. Still should be good, though

Country Flag: Costa Rica
      Subscribing.

cut off is 8.60's i believe it was last time we got our chassis certified. You only have to have the funny car type cage for quicker than that.
      I do believe you are going to have to get the chassis certified even for running 9's. I think you HAVE to have the parachute b/c the last time i read the rule it said something like
      required for cars running an et of 9.99 or quicker or for cars exceeding 150mph.
      Buddy of mine has a street car that runs a parachute. I think he has it mounted so he can just pull a pin inside the trunk and slide the tubing out that the pack is mounted on. On the bottom its just hooked in where the gas tank filler neck is with a bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
      Yeah doesn't an 8 second car need a 25.1 certified cage with the funny car cage portion and all sorts of double frame rails and crap ? I don't know much about it but I thought it did. Maybe that's 7 seconds when it gets really crazy. Could be a whole lot of weight in a steel based car.

I know that Prodigy knows what its doing, but all this talk about swapping setups in and out. It can go pretty fast on a lift with complete air tools and jacks, but in my experience as a one man show on jackstands is that its not that easy. Sure I can get it on stands, pull the wheelsn, and undo the bolts pretty easily assuming I have an impact gun. But loading a new unit in there, getting the nuts and bolts started, re-safety wiring stuff. Maybe its just my car, but even simple swaps or changing links seems to be much harder than it sounds on paper. There is usually something sticky, or a little pre-load on stuff, or just normal mechanical vagaries that make it much harder and physically more difficult that it sounds.

Hell I use most of a Saturday and all of my lower back just tweaking my alignment and ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
      Going to be following this one... just disappointed it isn't going to be Way II Much. Still should be good, though
      Haha! Nice
      JC Scott

I guess it's a good thing it came up. For ease of getting on to tracks, getting the chassis certified would be a good idea. For what this thing will do, I doubt a funny car cage will be necessary. I am relatively sure you'll need a chute though, I've seen some very stealth installs, but can't give much advice there, sorry. Ricoch3t sounds about dead on as best I can remember as well.

Wheely bars I have seen done with four pins holding the whole thing to the frame, 5 minutes on or off and virtually invisible when not installed.

As far as slicks and drag shocks, I'm quite sure that this is either going to use on car adjustable shocks or will have separate shocks, and I don't think slicks are on the bill at all. Slicks are very hard on axles and transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoch3T View Post
      I do believe you are going to have to get the chassis certified even for running 9's. I think you HAVE to have the parachute b/c the last time i read the rule it said something like
      required for cars running an et of 9.99 or quicker or for cars exceeding 150mph.
      I have not raced for a couple years, but I have been running mid to low nines, 143MPH to 146MPH with no chute for years.

Your right about the pin on shoot. I have pin on wheelie bars on my Just Bring It street racer, I did the wheelie bars pin on so I could remove them when I was street driving, but they look so cool I have never taken them off. I never put a chute on, but I might for effect if nothing else, LOL!

To add a little viewing pleasure. Here is a video of my Just Bring It street racer. We had a race here we called the No Bull Nationals. 45 Florida street racers all got together at a parking lot, cruise 30 miles to the track in traffic. We through all out names in a hat and lined um up. Only rule was you had to make it to the track without the follow (caboose) car passing you.
      My friend Mark brought is alcohol injected 14:71 blown monster that runs 7.70s in heavy street. He had a extra fuel cell in the trunk filling the 20 gallon cell because 20 gallons was not enough fuel for 30 miles! He removed the extra cell at the track.

I get beat by a bumper, but I left on him, he spun, and I owned him till he came by at 179MPH! No score boards during this event, But my run was a nice very low, LOW 9 second run anyway and according to my tach 146MPH.

My Just Bring it car makes right at 750HP on Mike Norris dyno and weight 3450LBS

Anyway, was a lot of fun. I put JBI in one of my containers 3 years ago. Last month we pulled the car out of the tomb it has been in for 3 years. It will be up and running in a month or so. I miss it.

Enjoy me getting spanked.

Click on the picture

Last edited by ProdigyCustoms; 04-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
      Wheely bars I have seen done with four pins holding the whole thing to the frame, 5 minutes on or off and virtually invisible when not installed.
      Just a thought... These same pin locations can be used to mount a removable trailer hitch for the trailer you are going to need to carry all your equip to/from events. Its an idea I am working for my car. (not the chute part LOL)
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Here is a video
      Psst Frank....need a link.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Just click on the video

You killed him on the launch....
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Just click on the video
      LOL...I refreshed my cache and now I see the movie....silly computer, I don't understand them sometimes.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

but SAFETY is also a major part of this. it wouldn't be wise to try to run a autocross w/a drag setup, or a high speed run at the level of competition they are shooting for.
      Speaking of safety, another one of the engineers we are consulting with about the project is Joe Marko, of HMS Motorsports. Joe has decades of experience in racing restraint systems, and consults with many racing teams around the country.

He's going to help us with our cage design, seat choice and placement, and restraint systems.

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 04-28-2010 at 09:20 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by flash911 View Post
      You killed him on the launch....
      yeah cause he stalled him in the burn out and quick staged him. That piss's guys off bad. Ask how I know. LOL
      good stuff.

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com