Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
      I think something like Morrison's tri 4-link with good solid frame rails with adjustability would be better.
      Frank and I talked about this, but..........

Another reason I think it is a solid axle is the wheelie bars... you get a lot more out of them with a solid axle.

*Side not* does anyone else feel gyped that we are now on page 8 and have only a couple of pics and almost no solid facts? haha! Still it is kinda fun to guess and let the imaginations run wild!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by falcon65 View Post
      But drag racing will have different requirements from the front suspension. Softer springs. Different shock settings. More travel. no sway bar. Rear suspension should be able to handle at least a 30" tall drag slick if not taller.
      If you build the front suspension for "dual purpose" from the jump-start you really don't have to ever swap out any parts... There are different philosophies/combinations to have a car that can perform on a road course/autocross. One of those type setups will work perfectly well with a drag setup. You have to build your setup as a soft spring/big sway bar arrangement. Between the big sway bars and the dual-adjustable shocks you can dial in both setups... one for road racing/autocrossing and another for drag racing. The larger "travel" you would like to have for your drag shocks is easily handled as well... you start with a longer travel shock that suits the drag racing scenario and you use travel-limiting "pucks" for the road racing/autocrossing. If your car is properly sorted out and launches STRAIGHT you DON'T have to remove or disconnect your sway bar... If your car launches properly you sway bar won't affect the launch if the binding is kept to a minimum... delrin bushings and heim joints work wonders for this if there is no points that bind up. The un-hooking of the sway bar is an old-school wive's-tale. With no binding and a loose rebound setting, rapid upward front end travel causing proper weight transfer is accomplished.

This is how we're setting up my car's front end. It will be "DUAL-PURPOSE" with the insertion of a few travel-limiting pucks and a quick adjustment of the rebound and compression settings...

What kind of 60 foot times do you need to run to get the car into the 8s?
      According to the calculators that Frank was mentioning they are showing a 1.20-1.25 second 60' time for a NON-turbo car with a more LINEAR power curve... These guys are using a Supercharger NOT a turbo. It will be making power from idle-up! I don't think it will have as much top end boost charge as a turbo car... probably more linear across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      not sure but many of the turbo cars are fairly easy on parts during the launch, so I don't know what their numbers look like in the first 60 feet....they leave kinda lazy and then really pour it on as the boost builds towards the big end of the track.
      Quote Originally Posted by windsor View Post
      Turbo cars definitely do it all on the big end.
      This is a Supercharger car, not a turbo car...
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      If you build the front suspension for "dual purpose" from the jump-start you really don't have to ever swap out any parts... There are different philosophies/combinations to have a car that can perform on a road course/autocross. One of those type setups will work perfectly well with a drag setup. You have to build your setup as a soft spring/big sway bar arrangement. Between the big sway bars and the dual-adjustable shocks you can dial in both setups... one for road racing/autocrossing and another for drag racing. The larger "travel" you would like to have for your drag shocks is easily handled as well... you start with a longer travel shock that suits the drag racing scenario and you use travel-limiting "pucks" for the road racing/autocrossing. If your car is properly sorted out and launches STRAIGHT you DON'T have to remove or disconnect your sway bar... If you car launches properly you sway bar won't affect the launch if the binding is kept to a minimum... delrin bushing and heim joints work wonders for this if there is no points that bind up. The un-hooking of the sway bar is an old-school wive's-tale. This is how we are setting up my car's front end. It will be "DUAL-PURPOSE" with the insertion of a few travel-limiting pucks and a quick adjustment of the rebound and compression settings...
      True true.. That is similar to what I'm doing as well.

According to the calculators that Frank was mentioning they are showing a 1.20-1.25 second 60' time for a NON-turbo car with a more LINEAR power curve... These guys are using a Supercharger NOT a turbo. It will be making power from idle-up! I don't think it will have as much top end boost charge as a turbo car... probably more linear across the board.

Yeah but he said he was going to launch it soft like a turbo car then rely on the power to get the ET.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Bosch currently have an aftermarket system for appr. 6000 EUR or so.
      We had a great chat with the head of Bosch motorsports about this. They absolutely say is isn't to be used for the street - mainly about liability concerns, but also they had a test car that had some glitches and lost ALL braking!! Something you don't really want with a steet car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjkadron View Post
      Yeah but he said he was going to launch it soft like a turbo car then rely on the power to get the ET.
      That's why the calculations using 3,250# and 1,000rwhp nets you a 8.63 @ 155mph...

Frank wants a little "cushion" on the times so he CAN baby it out of the hole and STILL reach their goal of 8.99 seconds!!

They are NOT looking for 8.98 seconds... They are looking for 8.99!! That's all! Not a hundredth more! Just as long as it breaks 8.99 they're in the 8's!!!
      Ray

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMorrison View Post
      they had a test car that had some glitches and lost ALL braking!! Something you don't really want with a steet car.
      I REALLY DON'T THINK I'D LIKE THAT WITH A RACE CAR EITHER!!!
      Ray

I will admit to looking at the Bosch setup for the ABS. But the price is too high for mortal men, and one of the design criteria for this car is that others can duplicate it. An $8000 ABS setup wouldn't be right.

So no, that's not it.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

hte reason I say remove the sway bar is to remove weight on the front end and typical sway bars limit the amount of droop of the front suspension.

oh yeah...oops!

I can't believe you are doing this project in 45 days!! I have had my project for about 5 years now and it's still not done.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

who is doing a project in 45 days? Did I miss something?

I thought I saw over the next year???
      67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I can't believe you are doing this project in 45 days!! I have had my project for about 5 years now and it's still not done.
      45 DAYS!!! HOLY SH%#!! All I can say is I am looking forward to seeing it on the road course. West Coast side preferably, not through cones, and an open event for all to have the opportunity to join in!!

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Is the end result unfair or the starting point for the build?

92 azz draggin blazer
      86 Monte Carlo SS
      64 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by Gitter Dun View Post
      45 DAYS!!! HOLY SH%#!! All I can say is I am looking forward to seeing it on the road course. West Coast side preferably, not through cones, and an open event for all to have the opportunity to join in!!
      I may have to hold off on teardown for paint, dont want to miss an opportunity to come out and play, lol

Gaetano Cosentino

No one said 45 days, more like 8 months or so. magazine articles will stretch over 12 to 14 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      No one said 45 days, more like 8 months or so. magazine articles will stretch over 12 to 14 issues.
      Cool, Thanks Frank, now I can paint my car, lol

Gaetano Cosentino

Im not saying its practical. But it does provide the benefits of IRS with solid axle. Not very elegant, its heavy and complicated.

I would still vote 3-link. Take a look at what new mustangs can do and that suspension is full of compromises. The cobra jet mustangs with 700hp are running in the 9s. And I think there is enough proof that they handle ok on road courses. Not sure about autocross.

So a 3 link with ultimate adjustablity. At least this is what I am doing to obtain similar goals with my car.

But drag racing will have different requirements from the front suspension. Softer springs. Different shock settings. More travel. no sway bar. Rear suspension should be able to handle at least a 30" tall drag slick if not taller.

What kind of 60 foot times do you need to run to get the car into the 8s?
      frank would have to pull low 1.30s 60 ft times to roll out the back door w/ 8.90s . w/ 3000 plus driver and 1100 hp and a good drag dot tire it can very easly happen . frank knows his way down 1320 ft tracks

Tell ya what, those 8 second Vipers and Corvette's hook pretty damn good!
      Subscribing

This sounds like some awful heavy hinting around to me.

I can say the irs cobras are well into the 9's now and doing it with not much more than a good set of axles. I haven't heard any in the 8's yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they already are.

You are oh so close but I think it is different then your thinking.
      FYI, I never said who I was talking to.

We are only a few hours away now boys!

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com