Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Todd
      I'm not sure I'd want to be in your shoes right now. I see lot's of head scratching.
      A wise man once told me, "Never say 'Watch this' before attempting an act of skill". Oh well.

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

No kidding....
      Todd

Fantastic project...just got my magazine this afternoon and was excited when I saw the story...cant wait to watch it play out.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I agree. I told Frank we better get a few clutches ready... running an 8.99 might burn some up.

The tranny is up in the air. We want to run the new M-800 from McLeod, but it may not be ready in time. We are working on a backup plan.

jp
      The problem isn't that it will just have to handle 1100 hp and most likely 1000 tq but that it will have to handle the shock of an 8 second launch.. on sticky tires.. that's brutal on a manual trans car.

Gonna be a fun project for sure.. and the challenge will just make it that much more so.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      Yep, but everything will have to be engineered for worst case scenario. Things you can get away with at 700 hp won't last 10 minutes at 1100. It's hard enough at 700 to make it happen. Things that can handle 1100 hp reliably may just compromise that cruise to dinner. I'm not sure I'd want to be in your shoes right now. I see lot's of head scratching. It's going to be fun to watch!! Best of luck to you guys.
      Yes we will be scrathing our heads on stuff like traction control and antilock brakes, and a few other tricks we have no discussed. Although at this stage we have all ready scratch our scalps in to dandruff and now are building.

Keep in mind we will only be at 1100HP for 8 seconds on the quarter and less then 30 seconds in the mile!

Actually the engine will be fairly straight forward. Once tuned for 700HP to 750HP street / AC / RC power, we simply tune farther up the MAP for more boost from the blower on the little pulley. And all that extra tuning is at WOT tuning which is fairly simple. The motor will be docile. We are going to let the blower do the work. The compression will be low, 8.5:1 to 9:1, and the camshaft will be docile, probably in the high [email protected] range with a 116 LC for great low end torque, will have no overlap at 1800 RPM cruise and blowers just LOVE wide LCs. The blower will just bypass at 1800 RPMs 5th gear cruise. So I truely expect this to be like every other blower / turbo car I ever did and be a real prim and proper lady cruising. And a real sl_t when it gets on the pipe!

Transmission will be tricky. We may break a few trans if we cannot get the M800 before drag racing. If we can not get a M800 in time we will probably use a Transzilla which should handle a few runs anyway. Transzilla surely will handle NON sticky tire action as the tires will give before the transmission. Ultimatly we know the M800 can handle things, but may not be ready for optima. We won't be on Drag Radials at optima anyway.

When we do drag race. I will leave a little soft on the drag strip runs. Run it like a turbo car. Run it like the Vipers. Leave a little easy and go out the back door like a Mother!

HP to weight and RPM says she will run 157.1MPH in the 1/4 in 4th gear at only 6600RPMs, PLENTY for 8s. 148MPH will get you in the 8s.

For reference, my street racer Just Bring it, has gone low 9s at 143MPH and makes only 714RWHP at the tires at 3400LBS! Project Unfair will be 400LBS lighter and 250HP more the Just Bring It car. 400LBS is 4/10ths, 250HP is a couple more tenths.

Getting the power to the ground is the biggest issue in a Pro Touring suspension. We have that figured out! It WILL hook better then my ladder bar equipped street racer! It will hook like a Pro Stocker I gurantee!

Have a little fun and go here and punch in 3250LBS (including me in it) and just use 1000HP and look at the ET. Then look carefully at the 157 MPH

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Now go here and put in 28" tire, Transmission ratio is 1:1 for 4th gear, and enter 3.50 gear. And pay attention to the MPH at 6500RPM. 155MPH Matches the estimated ET MPH almost perfect. The ET calculator verifies the HP is capable pulling the MPH

http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

Now we are only looking for 8.99, so we have plenty of room to spare.

Wanna run 200MPH, use the same gear-speed calculator and do 28" tire, .75 transmission gear, and 3.50 rear gear. And yes we will have more then enough torque to pull 5th gear.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      I was wondering where the MR .V GIF was hiding. LOL

vinz
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Running a manual trans? wow, now I'm even more skeptical I'm by no-means rooting against you when I say this.

As you stated, you don't need near that much power to run 8.99 at that weight IF the chassis is sorted as you say it will be. However, that manual trans will, by far, be your biggest hurdle.

Good luck! Will be a fun project to follow.

Anyone already have a PT car with a PARACHUTE? Or will this be the first?

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Wanna run 200MPH, use the same gear-speed calculator and do 28" tire, .75 transmission gear, and 3.50 rear gear. And yes we will have more then enough torque to pull 5th gear.
      ...so where could you be (mph) in the top end of sixth gear?.... .......possibly stretch it's legs @ Bonneville too?......
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

really seems like a good application for an auto trans w/ paddle shifters, just sayin'.
      Keith C.

I can't wait to see what sort of suspension you are going to run. You are asking for quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMorrison View Post
      I can't wait to see what sort of suspension you are going to run. You are asking for quite a bit!
      I thought John said it was yours? Maybe someone forgot to tell you...
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      really seems like a good application for an auto trans w/ paddle shifters, just sayin'.
      I was thinking the same thing... I couldn't imagine a better project than this to prove you can make a nice PT car with an automatic transmission.

One of the new 6-speed auto's would probably work nicely with a paddle shifter...

AWESOME PROJECT GUYS!!!

I couldn't imagine a better two guys to accomplish all these goals!
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I thought John said it was yours? Maybe someone forgot to tell you...
      It is, and it's an all new setup too!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMorrison View Post
      Shhh! This is skunk works!

Craig, Wait till your dad finds out what you have done!

Quote Originally Posted by windsor View Post
      Running a manual trans? wow, now I'm even more skeptical I'm by no-means rooting against you when I say this.

As you stated, you don't need near that much power to run 8.99 at that weight IF the chassis is sorted as you say it will be. However, that manual trans will, by far, be your biggest hurdle.

Good luck! Will be a fun project to follow.
      If I cannot shift I might find a little girl to drive it!

Wonder who I could get? Need someone local?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXuI8EkVmDI

I love to see people pushing the boundaries in our hobby. Can't wait to see this suspension set up you came up with.
      Traven

Just a guess, but it's gotta be IRS...you heard it here first.
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Kevin,

The first article will show you how we raised the floor. You start by calling Advance Metal Direct and getting one of their full floors. Then you cut the old floor out, and then install the new floor all the way up on the rocker panels. You'll need to make some small simple pieces of metal to fill a few gaps, but you can get everything you need at Home Depot. Not something a guy can do in his driveway, but something a competent body or build shop can do... it's no more difficult to do than installing mini-tubs.

Dual mode suspension: call Frank. AME (Art Morrison Enterprises) developed it, and they are gearing up to add it to their catalog.

ABS: Uses mostly GM parts, and AME has a working version. We'll show you how in Super Chevy.

I guess what Frank means is minimal fab compared to II Much or Prodigy. You'll be able to buy the parts from vendors and install them in "traditional" ways. We won't be making custom floors, radiator core supports, or making extensive body mods, or making our own uprights, or stuff like that.

Hope that helps!

jp

ps. Ride? For sure!
      So will the subframe then bolt to the raised floor?

Engine to hood clearance issues?

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com