Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

steering column repair question

I am replacing the whole turn signal wiring and canceling cam assembly and when pulling it out I wasn't smart enough to keep pressure on the collar so the 3 springs didn't leave their location behind the collar.

Do I have to pull the bearing and retainer off to reassemble it or is there a trick to putting the 3 springs back in?

This is more than what I expected it to be, I have a whole assembly with wiring to replace the bad one and I thought it would be easy, LOL.

May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

I think I got it fugured out. I pulled the column out and I can install them with the column standing on end and a bit of silicone might help out to stick them in place and keep them there during the reassembly.

It was interesting to see the wire that was broken and the others that were smashed don't know how they got that way but it looks like either I did it when I shortened the column or it was installed poorly when it was assembled, where it was didn't have any movement possible so it will remain a mystery.

After fighting with it for a bit I made some calls and came up with a better solution. The old column was not going to go back together easily and I found a place to reassemble it but it was going to be around $200 before it was probably all over with maybe a bit less but it was still money that was going into an old column that I really wished was a bit further from the driver.

I called Ididit $ 640 and Flaming River $ 440 for the column I wanted custom made. So much for custom made, I called the HotRod Shop and asked about what it would take to get one from Flaming River thru them so I could support my local store and if I had any problems I could take care of them easier.

I about fell over when he said he had a 30" tilt ,1" double D column in stock that a customer was not able to use because of the dimensions that was returned a long time ago. I went and picked it up to see how it would fit since he said he would let me test fit it and if it didn't work out for my dimensions I could bring it back.

I just got done putting it in and it fits GREAT!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of it.

I am now going to have to decide whether to paint it or leave it like it is. The big thing about leaving it brushed aluminum is that the other parts of the wheel are all black.

So would you guys paint it ? Leave it and get different pieces to make it brushed ? Or leave it 2 tone?

This is a nice surprise to have something come my way this easy and work out. The paint is easy to fix and I already have left over paint from the dash to make it match.

I think it is a keeper and I will not be throwing out good money on old parts and get tilt wheel too !!!

Great news, Jim! You're way better off. I went down the exact same path as you at first, intending to rebuild a factory column. I then started doing the math and figuring out some of the other changes I'd want to make. Then I bought an Ididit. I've never regretted that decision.

Glad it worked out.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

I forgot the best news of it all.

$329 is the price he is letting me have it for !!!!!!!

I don't know where you mods want to move this or when but it is a done deal.

One good piece of info to add to this thread is the place that Ididit told me would repair the column.

T & M sterring wheel repair
      1021 Foster Ave.
      Nashville ,TN 37210

615-251-3005

For those who need the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      Great news, Jim! You're way better off. I went down the exact same path as you at first, intending to rebuild a factory column. I then started doing the math and figuring out some of the other changes I'd want to make. Then I bought an Ididit. I've never regretted that decision.

Glad it worked out.
      I am glad to hear you are happy with your decision, Ididit or Flaming River both make the normal $300 to totally rebuild a column with new bearings and good used parts a good deal to buy a new one.

So what would you do about the color?

Color? That's tough. So much depends on the car. Mine was easy. Because it's a convertible and things are so visible all the time - plus the color combo - polished or chrome. For a hardtop, I probably wouldn't have done that. I certainly wouldn't even shy away from black. I think your car has a more "I'm all business" theme. What are you thinking?
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

I like the 2 tone

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      Color? That's tough. So much depends on the car. Mine was easy. Because it's a convertible and things are so visible all the time - plus the color combo - polished or chrome. For a hardtop, I probably wouldn't have done that. I certainly wouldn't even shy away from black. I think your car has a more "I'm all business" theme. What are you thinking?
      I am thinking it would look better black since I am used to it, yet the carpet isn't in and the 2 tone is starting to grow on me along with the fact it is already finished. The mounting bracket could go black and I have to replace the screws in the center of the wheel that somehow got rusty looking and I could go brushed stainless with them and it would add to the 2 tone. I can also paint the turn signal and tilt lever black and add to it more. The ease of pulling this column out compared to the old one can make it so I can see if I like it and do it later.

Decisions decisions,LOL.

At least I am not waiting 3 weeks and it is almost in except the plug had to be changed since my old one is the 3 7/8 and the new one is 4 1/4 but that is easy.

We have a horn and turn signals now .

The horns are LOUD and they sound like an AMERICAN car!!!!

I didn't have a 10 amp fuse to replace the one that was blown in the turn signal slot and I replaced it with a 3 amp and all is good. The LED rear turn signals obviously don't draw much power, I think I will keep it in there as long as it likes it. I am keeping spares in the car anyway.

I just have to make a bracket for the column to raise it up 1/2 in. and all will be good. The guy who tried the column before me didn't like the way it hung and now I see why. I am not going to pay $75 for a bracket that I can make and hangs low. The wheel is just low enough to obstruct the top of the gauges in the center position and the 1/2 in. will make it just right for me and if someone is taller or shorter they can tilt the wheel.

One more thing to be happy about now. I didn't start out the day knowing it was going to end up like this and at one point I thought it could hold up the show for 3 weeks.

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAA

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com