Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 68 hidden vin

68 hidden vin

I'm new here and looking for some help. I have a 68 Camaro which I bought with a missing vin tag at the window. I found the hidden partial vin at the heater box. The weird thing is this: the partial vin reads "8U119780" . I do not see anywhere where a U was ever in any vin, and the number sequence does not match what a 68 should be. The last 6 numbers on the title vin is 383246, which is in line with the sequences. Am I missing something? I thought the last 6 in the hidden vin should match the title vin. Also I have heard there is a complete vin number hidden on the car somewhere, but the DMV or state police will not tell where to find it. Is there any truth to that? If so where to look. Thanks, Mike

Country Flag: United States
      Sorry Mike, I wish i could help you.
      Love your Family N Life itself.
      68Camaro rs (Medusa)

ask on camaros.net
      Rob M.

Vin

There should also be a stamped # under the cowl panel. With the panel removed, as you look at the section below the windshield, there are openings to allow the air into the cowl section. Between the opening on the passenger side of the cowl and the center opening area there is a piece of metal for support, and in that section there is a number stamped there too.

That number was illegible, but what I have learned is that is the same as the number on the heater section. I am wondering if the partial vin indicates that the car was originally a Firebird and not a Camaro, since the only plant using the U code was a firebird plant. If so then I got screwed.

IF you have a U in the VIN then the car is a Firebird with Camaro sheetmetal. Lot's of those getting built here in the south.

U stands for the Lordstown Ohio plant which built Firebirds.

What does the trim tag on the firewall list or is it also missing?

If the hidden VIN has a U in the VIN, the VIN tag is missing and the trim tag is missing you can bet that you have a Firebird with Camaro sheetmetal installed.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

There isn't a complete vin posted anywhere on a 68 Camaro...only partials on the engine, transmission, firewall below heater blower motor, and top of cowl panel under the removable cowl panel cover.

The VIN you have on the firewall should match the last 8 characters on the vehicle title. If they don't, the title is for another car and the person you bought the car from probably got "taken" and sold it to you...or he knew what was going on and sold it to you hoping you would never look.

Does the title say that the car you bought is a Camaro?

A very rare possibility is that the firewall section was cut from a Firebird and welded to a Camaro. You'd have to inspect the areas around the panel and see if it's been tampered with or shows signs of replacement. What numbers are on top of the cowl panel?

Most likely you have a Firebird with Camaro panels welded onto it. It happened a lot in the past and continues to happen when people can't be happy enough owning a Firebird.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com