Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

1958 Porsche 356 + Midmounted Audi V8

Last time I was over in the USA for the Pigeon Forge event in the Temptress, I got thinking about my next project. Its very hard to spend time with Jeff Schwartz and not get totally wrapped up in a new project. I was VERY close to getting him to build me an early Nova, but I decided it was a little too similar to the Temptress, and decided that I'd do something myself this time, over here in Hong Kong.

A few of the Ultima guys are running Audi V8's, Ive aways been a fan of that engine and bought an S4 as a daily driver late last year.... which tipped me over the edge. One thing led to another and I hatched a plan to shove an Audi V8 into a Porsche 356.

I have a construction company over here - we have a Leica Scanstation, we're going to scan the body, and design a full custom chassis in Solidworks. Race Car Replicas in Detroit are going to make me a set of billet alloy A-arms for all 4 corners. Its going to run inbard airbags, disc brakes etc.

Ive scored a 360HP S5 engine from an Audi dealer in Germany with 124km on it. Its an FSI engine (direct injection), the plan is to run the stock ECU, which requires the guages and ignition keys to activate the immobilizer. Ive been told that it is difficult to run the Audi engine on the stock ECU without ALL the other systems in place. There is no aftermarket ECU that will run the FSI, so Im going to give it a shot with the OEM ECU, if that doesnt work, I'll ditch the ECU and the FSI system, mount new injectors and run an aftermarket ECU.

The Porsche 356 has a tiny 2100mm (86") wheelbase! The Audi engine is super short at 464mm, however I'm still going to need to move the rear arches back 4-5 inches, and possibly run a little driveshaft angle

I also scored a brand new transaxle. The one on the engine is a Quattro which is no good to me... I bought a brand new 01x 6 speed from a Diesel.... same one GT40 replica guys use.

The car has just left Texas and is on its way to Hong Kong. I bought the cleanest body I could find, I have enough on my plate without having to worry about rust and panel work. As you can see the roof has been replaced with a non-sunroof skin. I did a deal where the guy selling the car gets to keep the sunroof skin if he swaps it for a non-sunroof.... good deal for both of us as it saves me having to do it and he gets a valuable sunroof.

Ive started looking for wheels. Im thinking some chunky sidewalls all would would look better than low profiles on this car. I REALLY dig the centerlocks from the RSR porsche with big old fat tires...

The raditor is going to be mounted up under the rear grille with electric fans. Feed air will be ducted in from the rear 1/4 windows, and it will exhaust out the grilles. The grilles are in a negative pressure area of the car which will assist in air being drawn through when running.

The horizontal placement under the rear grilles will allow for the heat to rise when stationary.

I'm going to run an oil cooler too.

These are very basic concept sketches in Autocad, which is not the ideal program. I've just booked myself and all my draftsmen into a Solidworks course.

Anyway, the idea is that the radiator and the plenums below it will hinge up with the trunk lid to allow access to the engine.

Country Flag: United States
      This is a really cool project that is definitely "out of the box." I LIKE IT!!

Wow, this is going to be sweet!
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

That's awesome! I can't wait to see it come together!

On our "scarliner", we ended up adapting the factory harness and computers from the ford gt into the starliner. It was a lot of work, but the end result is totally worth it! Everything has a relay, "smart" cooling fan controls, battery saver relay, etc.
      - Clark

wow sweet!!!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

luv it!

Renegade in Las Vegas has been doing porsche engine swaps for a while. A ls motor with a porsche transaxle will fit in just about anything.

Nice!! I have toyed with a simillar idea but with a Boxster S combo. I never could get myself to think the shaft angles would work.
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

Awesome project. I love the old 356s. In stock/modified form they are so awesome to watch racing. This will be great. Please keep the updates coming!

Wes

I like it.
      Well all except for the massive blind spots created by the cooling ducts. I test drove a Chevette once that had temporary wood covering the broken passenger side rear quarter window glass. The blind spot was horrible, and I can not recomend covering any window like that. Any way to maybe have them come from the floor instead of those side windows?
      [QUOTE=crafty;648276]
      1980 Chevy Monza, 305/TH350 soon to be LS1/T56
      http://www.forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26442

looks like the guys you bought the car from work on 356's,I'm working on 55' 356 cabriolet, do you have their contact info? I'd like to see if they sell repair panels. Cool project BTW, looking forward to seeing the progress
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

This is going to be very interesting to watch.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Loving it Grant, hope it makes it over here to play one day. I really think your correcting a design flaw by stretching the wheelbase. It will no longer have that loaded diaper look in the rear. Ron
      Ron Schwarz

Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      It will no longer have that loaded diaper look in the rear. Ron
      ... there might be a few loaded diapers in the passengers seat.

Here's a before and after photoshop of a 356 with the wheels moved back.

Don't forget your safety rivets!!!! We don't want them popping off and killing people when the cars lights up.

This is awesome! I followed your GTR build pretty closely, I also just sold my 1969 911, I was going to make a mid engine V8 swap with a custom chassis and suspension but I had to sell to keep another project going. I'll be watching this for sure.

Thanks for taking the time out to share all this information with us.

-Russell
      Click here for my build thread
      Dad's Down and Dirty
      http://www.nerdrods.com
      @NerdRods - Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell View Post
      Don't forget your safety rivets!!!! We don't want them popping off and killing people when the cars lights up.
      HAHAHA.... You've got a good memory. For everyone else ... the short version is that I put expanding foam inside the chassis to try to cut down on some of the sound... not sure if it worked, but along the way some "expert" was warning me not to do it, just in case the car caught on fire. His reasoning was that the chassis would explode and all the rivets would fly out like shrapnel and injure the people trying to pull me from the burning wreck (that had just exploded)... and that I might get sued.

Funny stuff... he was serious and posted all sorts of scientific reasoning... he left soon after I suggested putting safety straps on the rivets.... I cant find the original thread, but this is the one that made him leave.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&f=20&t=252246

Every forum has at least one of these guys.... this particular one was quite special.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com