Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

1967 Mustang Coupe, Project "Code Blue"

Hey All,

First I want to blame you all for me going the Pro-Touring route with this car. Well, not completely, but you did force me into the deep end sooner rather than later.

Ok, a little background. I grew up with a gearhead father who was always changing cars. Among my fovourites were his '60 Vette, '27 T bucket (371 Olds J2), and '77 Vette but the ones I recall and love the most were his '66 Mustang fastback and the '68 Coupe. Heck, I've always been a Ford guy. I'm also currently building my first vehicle, a 1970 F-100. Chassis from scratch, MII and triangulated 4 link, 5.4 3V with a Lightning bottom end, 6 speed automatic and a couple of turbos. You'll frequently see pictures of it in the shop next to the Stang.

So, a couple of years ago I died. Fortunately for me I didnt stay that way. Life has changed for me since then including the birth of a beautiful daughter. So, I decided that I was finally going to pursue the dream of owning a vintage Mustang. Project "code blue" just seemed like a fitting name. It was that or "mid-30's crisis....."

Anyway, on to the details and pics cuz no one really cares about my story, its the build that we're here for.

Starting point:
      1967 Mustang Coupe
      41,000 original miles
      no rust car (I think......)
      unknown vintage Holley EFI 302/C6/8" 4:10
      Overall complete car in pretty nice shape

Short Term Plan:
      FatMan Fabrications Strut IFS
      3 link rear, a copy of the EVM 3 link (just the links)
      QA1 Coilovers
      9" rear, 3:50
      '03 Mustang 4 wheel discs (stock)
      Manual steering/brakes
      18x8 all around, 245 40 front and 255 45 rear (BFG GFTA)
      Lots of beatings

I'm currrently installing the IFS. Still waiting on the odd part here and there but it shouldnt hold me up too bad I hope. Shipping from the US to Canada is aweful, stuff get stuck in customs all the time.

Long Term Plan:
      4.6 4V DOHC
      4W100
      Single turbo, no more than 10 psi
      Full repaint and chassis paint
      I have a '95 Lincoln Mark 8 in nice shape waiting to be pillaged as well as the 4W100 from a Lightning.

But really, all this text is of no use without pictures so they will follow shortly.

Wesley J

Pics as promised.

FatMan Strut IFS Kit:

\

A few more pics prior to teardown:

The car is only on its second coat of paint. I decoded the VIN and its a lime gold car and that shure as hell is what's under it. It was an inline 6 bench seat car so I wont feel too bad cutting it up as this is the least desireable car and there sure were a pile built.

Wesley J

Are the tires and wheels on the drivers side the ones going on it?? I've been working on a 67 coupe for 4and half years now. I'm excited to see your build!
      Stephen S.
      1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L, T5

Yup, got them used here in town. Will likely change wheels on the next stage of the build but they'll work for now. Very clode to the look I'm after but on a beer budget.

Tirerack screwed up my tire order. Well, not really, it looks like the tires are mismarked. The 255's are about 3/4's of an inch narrower than the 245's....

Country Flag: United States
      Awesome!

Subscribed

Well, yesterday came with some setbacks. Both involve problems directly related to FatMan Fab's front end and the poor instructions/descriptions.

1: FatMan clearly states that you can us a manual rack, although they are hard to find. Well, I went to the trouble of finding one and it wont work. The mounting is different and spacers supplied with the kit do not fit. A call to Fatman confirmed this.... WFT?

2: Fatman clearly states that for the front end, wheels with stock SN95 backspacing will work fine. Also, the instructions (poor at best) for assembly of the frontend state that a 7" wheel with a 5" backspace fits well. Well, I have an 8" wheel with 5.5" backspace and the outer lip of the wheel is almost 4" from the inside of the fender. Damn car almost looks like a trike... I'd need a 1.625" spacer to bring the wheel out to where is should be...

So, it looks like I'll be selling my wheels and looking for some new ones. Lesson learned: dont trust anyone, even a front end manufaturer, on wheel dimensions. Measure it yourself.

To date the poor intructions have cost me $200 for the rack and $600 for the wheels.....

Recommended wheel retailers?

Wesley J

Pics to follow from home tonight.

How much do you want to spend? I've had probably the best aftermarket automotive experience that I've ever had with Forgeline. They REALLY have their stuff together and are super nice car guys to boot. Now... it's $1000 a wheel in most cases, so not on the cheap end. You can get their 3-piece wheels in virtually any size that you want and they'll help you determine what that is.

Jeff

Ya, thats my problem, budget. My most likely option is to find a wheel that's close and space to fit. Not too excited about a huge scrub radius with manual steering though....

this is going to be very cool!

I'm considering parting with one of my motorcycles in order to fund some short term "improvements".... At the end of the day I have 1 ass and 5 bikes...

Begin Rant:

Now I'm even more pissed off. The 255 45 18's that I ordered from Tirerack are significantly smaller than the 245 40 18's. Yes, I know there can be variances in the section width etc due to different profiles but the 245's measure as a 245. The 255's measure about a 225.

Now comes the arguing for returns etc. Man this is frustrating, every time I turn a corner I'm dealing with incompetent companies that are unfortunately in another country. Shipping this junk back and forth is really starting to piss me off.

Country Flag: Iceland

Some pics of my pain.....

Tires look like a slightly different design from each other. Did you purchase them at different times?

Hmm maybe casting differences?

one looks like it has a square-er side wall.

Ya, turns out the 255's were some customs OEM tire that never got used and unfortunately for me the meat heads at TireRack bought them and sold them to me. Looks as though I'm going to have to eat the shipping charges to return them....

Wes

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com